• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Was this some kind of massive error or did they intend to eliminate rifles?

People are throwing around how stupid and inept our legislature is. I'm not sure I believe that these folks are any of that. I'm not convinced that somewhere along the line the legislature/DNR didn't see an oportunity to work in an agenda. For whatever reason, this was it.

I'd like to see a detailed rundown of this whole thing with links, timeline and names.

Last edited:

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    This is one step foward and 10 steps back. PCRs have been legal nearing a decade. I would have planned my gun season in another state if I would have known this sooner.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I started a thread in General Firearms Discussion because I did not look here>

but"

I am DONE hunting in Indiana until DNR & Legislature FIX this so ALL Hoosiers can hunt with rifles on PUBLIC STATE, PUBLIC FEDERAL OR PRIVATE LANDS.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet .30-06 or a Barrett .50 is still legal for squirrels? Indiana hunting laws never cease to bring a smile to my face.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO he DNR interpretation is not honorable

The wording of the law is rather explicit, applies to the 2016-2020 hunting season.........a season declared to be the high power rifle allowance test period.

SECTION 7. IC 14-22-2-8, AS ADDED BY P.L.110-2016,
    SECTION 1, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE
    JULY 1, 2017]: Sec. 8. (a)This section applies to a hunting season
    beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January 1, 2020.

(b) A hunter may use a rifle during the firearms season to hunt deer
    subject to the following:
    (1) The use of a rifle is permitted only on privately owned land.

PCR has been legal for years, was not up for study, debate or trade. Nothing in the evolution of the HP rifle law mentioned such things.

Boggles my mind how ANYBODY could read this law any other way.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Eberhart issues an "OOOOOOOPPPSS!"

From fox 59

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. –A state lawmaker is now admitting a mistake was made that has led to a lot of confusion and anger from Indiana deer hunters. New regulations prohibit hunters from using any kind of rifle to hunt deer on public property, like state parks. But the author of the bill that caused this said that was never the intention.

Republican State Representative Sean Eberhart (Shelbyville) authored House Bill 1415, which is at the heart of the confusion.

“First of all, it was something that nobody caught when the bill was first passed,” said Eberhart.

In 2016, rifles could be used on public land only when they shot pistol rounds, but high velocity ammunition could be used on private property. This year, lawmakers changed the existing law to clarify the rules regarding high velocity rounds.

“The intent of the change was to make it more clear on what high velocity rifle rounds you could use on private property,” said Eberhart, “when that change was made, it inadvertently pulled in the pistol rounds as well [and] unfortunately the law now says that you can use those high velocity and pistol rounds in a rifle, but only on private grounds.”

That oversight has left deer hunters unhappy. Many outfitters and gun stores we spoke to on the phone said they’re getting calls from angry and confused hunters.

When questioned how neither he nor any of the law co-signers caught the oversight before it was voted on, Eberhart responded, “That’s a good question, not only did we not catch it as myself or any other legislator, LSA didn’t catch it, no other department didn’t catch it, DNR didn’t catch it, so we had a lot of eyes on this bill and no one caught that inadvertent change.”

In light of that, Eberhart hopes to fix the problem soon.
    “I’m very confident we can address it come session time in January…but it’s my hope that we can address it short term as well,” said Eberhart.

What that short term fix could be and whether it can happen fast enough for this season, which starts November 18th, isn’t clear. But Eberhart reiterated that he and his fellow lawmakers are working on a solution.

“I don’t think there’s an apology…unfortunately this happens when you have unintended consequences,” said Eberhart, “you know I’ve been a proponent of our hunters and our fishermen since day one.”

DNR would not comment on the issue; however, it did release guidelines covering the new rules and posted updated information regarding recent legislation that affects the use of rifles during deer hunting season.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Read between the lines.

The admission of error is just politics.
    New DNR director coming in.

Homeowner (legislator) is willfully taking the blame for a thug kicking in the door and stealing something.

Now who that thug was?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Duplo
    legoduplo.jpg

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    This thread is a dupe too. Here's the original one that started six days ago.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cartridges-not-allowed-state-public-deer.html

lonehoosier. I put this thread in the Hunting section because I searched the hunting section for relative information on this issue and nothing came up. I didn't search in the general firearms section because this is a hunting related issue.

My appologies to the community for making a duplicate~ish post.

In my opion the discussion of hunting related topics should be in the hunting forum.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    lonehoosier. I put this thread in the Hunting section because I searched the hunting section for relative information on this issue and nothing came up. I didn't search in the general firearms section because this is a hunting related issue.

My appologies to the community for making a duplicate~ish post.

In my opion the discussion of hunting related topics should be in the hunting forum.
    I totally get what you're saying and agree with you. It's just a pain in the ass to keep up with six threads. I think two of the six are closed now.

Also 4 of those threads are in the great outdoor section.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom