Climate change legit after all! Who woulda thunk it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Nuclear FTW. The waste is small, manageable, and not without use. It is a hassle, but it can be dealt with.

People get scared, but the plants we had here are much better built than the ruskie's. They can be put in areas that are not at high risk for geological problems. And hopefully after Chernobyl, everyone knows not to run unauthorized experiments.

I agree. I would build more and put the USN in charge of them all. They have never had so much as an incident that I know of, much less an accident. If the Navy knows how to do anything in this world it's safely run a nuclear reactor under all kinds of conditions.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Media is filled with geniuses

11924940_10207363542677449_4768767490746817521_n.jpg

Jeeez man now I gotta clean up all this sweet tea. That right there is FUNNY!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I agree. I would build more and put the USN in charge of them all. They have never had so much as an incident that I know of, much less an accident. If the Navy knows how to do anything in this world it's safely run a nuclear reactor under all kinds of conditions.

Good point. The Army and Air Force have lots of experience with fissile material, but I don't know if you want them working on stuff that is NOT supposed to go boom.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I wish Anericans were smart enough to use the sea to hide submarines. But hey, we can't even dream of the math equations our intellectual superiors are doing.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Ok, this thread has gone exactly how I thought it would. I'm only going to be replying to the comments that I see are the most "out there." Before I do though, here are my thoughts.

1) Climate change is very, very real. HOWEVER, climate change is NOT global warming. Climate change is actually a naturally occurring process, that takes place on earth over certain periods of time. Climate change can be dangerous, but only in the sense of when it's mentioned with global warming. There is nothing that can be done about natural climate change. Just like the seasons change, so does the climate. It's not scary, it's not doom and gloom, but it it's real, happens, and has happened.

2) I tend to lean more conservative when it comes to global warming. Personally, I think the data supports it, and that global warming is a real thing, but I'm still not sure the extent man is helping it along. The give away for me are the islands disappearing in the pacific ocean. These are small islands that have had many generations of people on them that are suddenly disappearing due to rising ocean levels. What would the people on these islands have to gain by saying such a thing? The reality is not much. If multiple generations of these native islanders are saying something isn't right, I tend to agree with them. Although, my thing with global warming is investing in clean energy. It doesn't have to be political. If you had sources of clean energy that could power your home, why not do it? Solar and wind power are insanely great assets, that in my mind we're ridiculous for not trying to harness more.

So have these Pacific islands disappeared due to rising seas (if so how much rise?) or simply by the natural process of erosion?

I have a home in FL where there are many islands nearby. Some appear and some disappear but no one is claiming that sea level rises in the Gulf of Mex are the cause.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Those are from ships. We have no space big enough to put something like that onboard.
    Trust me, I know.

I was on the USS LY Spear for some reason, maybe heading to the Squadron Command Office. The Spear is a Submarine Tender (Auxiliary).
    Anyway, as I'm walking down a passage, an alarm goes off.
    Well, on the John Marshall, I know exactly what to do, no matter where I am.
    LY Spear, not so much.
    A chief (chief petty officer) goes past, points to one of those "hatch with scuttle" that you showed, looked at me, and yelled, "Aren't you going to secure that?".
    So I said, "Aye, Aye Chief!".
    I had no idea what to do. That thing weighs mucho pounds and would chop someone in half.
    So a couple sailors showed up from the Spear, and they were lower rank. So I asked the senior one if he knew how to secure it. He did.
    So I told him to secure it, told him he was in charge of the work party, and I high tailed it to Squadron Command. Whew!

The hatch through the pressure hull looks like this from the top
    [...]

I figured your hatches for the pressure hull at least would have been considerably more substantial than ours.
    btw...I'm familiar with the L.Y. Spear, having seen it many times tied up near the destroyer piers in Norfolk.
    There's more than meets the eye when it comes to sub tenders, or so I've been told.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I figured your hatches for the pressure hull at least would have been considerably more substantial than ours.
    btw...I'm familiar with the L.Y. Spear, having seen it many times tied up near the destroyer piers in Norfolk.
    There's more than meets the eye when it comes to sub tenders, or so I've been told.

Not really.
    Fabrication/repair shops.
    Spare parts.
    Weapon replenishment.
    Food.

No real offensive or defensive weaponry, or armor.

LY Spear was for SUBRON 6. I can't remember the name of the Tender for SUBRON 8.
    But I do know they had positioned riflemen on it when the submarine next to us had a Topside Watch go bonkers.
    Watchstander pulled his .45 and pointed it at the officer making his rounds (the in port name for the OOD, I can't remember it).
    Said he wanted a chair to sit on.

So, we manned stations for "repel boarders", I was topside, I think with a .45, and 1 or 2 mags.
    But, the crazy watchstander was between us and the Tender with the rifleman. So, I get hold of my Chief, a Texan, and point out the riflemen, and say, "Uh Chief. What happens if some of those riflemen miss? Where are the bullets going?".
    Well, I knew the answer, and I saw when he figured it out.
    So he moved us behind the sail.

Watchstander eventually got tired of holding the .45, and was taken to an "institution".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nuclear FTW. The waste is small, manageable, and not without use. It is a hassle, but it can be dealt with.

People get scared, but the plants we had here are much better built than the ruskie's. They can be put in areas that are not at high risk for geological problems. And hopefully after Chernobyl, everyone knows not to run unauthorized experiments.

The French have a pretty good record for safety. If those cheese-eating surrender monkeys can do it . . .

The newer plug'n'play reactors that you install and then replace the entire unit when the fuel is spent are pretty slick.

I wish Anericans were smart enough to use the sea to hide submarines. But hey, we can't even dream of the math equations our intellectual superiors are doing.

Heh heh heh. I'm remaining silent.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Not really.
    Fabrication/repair shops.
    Spare parts.
    Weapon replenishment.
    Food.

No real offensive or defensive weaponry, or armor.

LY Spear was for SUBRON 6. I can't remember the name of the Tender for SUBRON 8.
    But I do know they had positioned riflemen on it when the submarine next to us had a Topside Watch go bonkers.
    Watchstander pulled his .45 and pointed it at the officer making his rounds (the in port name for the OOD, I can't remember it).
    Said he wanted a chair to sit on.

So, we manned stations for "repel boarders", I was topside, I think with a .45, and 1 or 2 mags.
    But, the crazy watchstander was between us and the Tender with the rifleman. So, I get hold of my Chief, a Texan, and point out the riflemen, and say, "Uh Chief. What happens if some of those riflemen miss? Where are the bullets going?".
    Well, I knew the answer, and I saw when he figured it out.
    So he moved us behind the sail.

Watchstander eventually got tired of holding the .45, and was taken to an "institution".

And we only had a drill with the assumption that the Petty Officer of the Watch had gone bonkers.
    He's lucky that the riflemen (probably with an M-14, depending on whether that happened in the 80's or early 90's) didn't get pressed into firing!
    I'm sure he recovered fully and went back to work on that same sub afterward.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    So have these Pacific islands disappeared due to rising seas (if so how much rise?) or simply by the natural process of erosion?

I have a home in FL where there are many islands nearby. Some appear and some disappear but no one is claiming that sea level rises in the Gulf of Mex are the cause.
    This is an excellent question. I have no doubt that some of these stories of islands disappearing are over exaggerated by many people pushing for climate reform. Or simply the islands are being eroded away. However, there was a story I read in school that I found quite interesting. I'll link it if I can find it. It basically spoke of a very small patch of land that a group of islanders would frequent in order to fish. Well, this patch of land is now completely covered in water. Not eroded away, just completely engulfed. It even has satellite photos from a few years ago, taken at the same date in time showing the changes.

EDIT: I am unable to find the article. So I guess this point is moot since I can't back it up. This is a good read however, even though it's CNN
    http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2015/06/opinions/sutter-two-degrees-marshall-islands/

Last edited:

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    1) So you're saying our best weather monitoring equipment on the planet is wrong?
    2) It's called GLOBAL warming, not US warming. The US may not be that hot this year, but sure isn't the case for other regions.
    3) The deplorable climate science blog. Yup, that's pretty much all I needed to know

Funny..."3)" Pretty much summarizes any source that depends on reaching a conclusion that guarantees it will continue to receive grants in the study of climate.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Funny..."3)" Pretty much summarizes any source that depends on reaching a conclusion that guarantees it will continue to receive grants in the study of climate.
    There have been people in NOAA and at the university level that have devoted their entire lives to the study of global warming/climate change, that do so without raising flags, screaming from the mountain tops, or otherwise "look at me." So sure, continue to disregard their findings because "Oh well, they work for NOAA. Of course they believe in that crap."

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So this is why at the end of damn near every single Science class I have ever taken at the college level the Ph.D dedicates an entire lecture to essentially proving global warming (even did it in my Physics class talking about the absorption spectra of the atmosphere and what not). I am going to go on a limb here and say Global Warming is a pretty sure thing at this point. But then again some people also believe vaccines can give children autism ( and to that I say let's give the parents polio)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So this is why at the end of damn near every single Science class I have ever taken at the college level the Ph.D dedicates an entire lecture to essentially proving global warming (even did it in my Physics class talking about the absorption spectra of the atmosphere and what not). I am going to go on a limb here and say Global Warming is a pretty sure thing at this point. But then again some people also believe vaccines can give children autism ( and to that I say let's give the parents polio)

So is it Anthropogenic?

Top Bottom