Slimmest, lightest, most snagless double stack (15rd+) firearm in 9mm for CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd sure buy a Ford or a Chevy, if you know what I mean?

A lot of folks learn the hard way that factory and aftermarket parts availability, magazines, holsters, etc all make a huge difference. Knowledge bases and forums of millions with experience vs thousands or hundreds is a big deal too.

Ferraris are great. Finding a way to fix/maintain them and affording to do it, not so much. Then when you decide to go back to the Ford or Chevy, selling the Ferrari is a whole nother issue.

There is a lot to be said for carrying the firearm that law enforcement carries.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's not light, but the thinnest 9mm that holds 15+ rounds is the Browning BDM. They're not made anymore, but if you want slim, it's the gun you want. Magazines will be challenging to find.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    I hate to jump on the bandwagon but would have to say Glock 19.
    The G19 has been my EDC go to for +6yrs now and has never let me down.
    If you can't beat'em, join'em.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    Well folks, there was a resolution.

Everyone gave great suggestions.

So I was looking at the Ruger Sr9c in the store and I decided to go with what the sr9c folks are going to: the Ruger American 8605 9mm. The truth is, it's heavier, longer barrel, and not really comparable! But hey! It has a very slim grip that fits perfectly in my hands. It feels relatively light still (though supposedly 30oz). The barrel is more boxy than the sr9c but still feels a bit more compact than the P320. The ambi controls, sweet ergonomics, nice trigger, and great price point sold me (you can pick it up online for under $400). It's probably the best trigger I've ever experienced on a $400 striker gun; the pre-travel\travel is nothing on this thing. And while the reset is not tactile its obviously short when you release it. I tried a test tuck in the appendix position and it looks like it's going to do great IWB appendix for a full size pistol.

I do have to admit I'm still going keep my eye on some of the 2017 offerings (P320 X-Carry \ CZ P10c). But I've exceeded my budget for the year. So we'll see about 2018.

For the Glock fans: I just don't get Glocks. They look like blocks and have mush for triggers. But to each their own. They get used in law enforcement all the time so I guess they get the job done. :p

IMG_3003.jpg

numbaonecoltsfan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Mooresville
    Somebody has one of those rugers on the ingo classifieds right now.
    Oh! Dang it. Just saw your post count. Oh well they want $425 and you said you can find them under 4.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    So I have an update. i took the Ruger American out to fire off a few rounds. Well, it shoots great. One complaint: the reset practically requires fully releasing the trigger so you end up with all the take-up again. There is no over travel so it's not bad. But I wouldn't really call it a "short" reset. Otherwise, the thing fires beautifully. Another thing I didn't mention is it's rated for extended use +P which is quite nice.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    CZ lover here. My favorite pistols, comfortable and natural grip, rounded edges, but... I've known of trigger spring failures, so I've been reluctant to rely on one as a carry gun. Just my 2 cents.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    CZ lover here. My favorite pistols, comfortable and natural grip, rounded edges, but... I've known of trigger spring failures, so I've been reluctant to rely on one as a carry gun. Just my 2 cents.

I've heard of some CZ parts issues from others as well. The big thing was getting it sent off to get fixed taking months. That makes me a bit nervous though. I have no doubt they're great guns, but considering how many options there are within this space we have the option of being very picky.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So I have an update. i took the Ruger American out to fire off a few rounds. Well, it shoots great. One complaint: the reset practically requires fully releasing the trigger so you end up with all the take-up again.

This seems to be consistent across the Ruger pistols that I've shot. My LCR and LCP both require you to let the trigger all the way out, despite there being a tactical and audible click halfway through the reset.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I actually looked at the sr9c. So far it IS the slimmest and lightest I've seen. Looks like a great fit. My problem with it was that it's ugly, old, and has a pretty cruddy trigger. :p Maybe I should reconsider? I compared it with the P320C for a double stack side by side.

View attachment 53218 View attachment 53219
    There is plenty of downside to a SR9c, but the trigger isn't it. It has a very crisp clean trigger. They need to do away with the stupid "safety" features and then Ruger would have a real winner.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    There is plenty of downside to a SR9c, but the trigger isn't it. It has a very crisp clean trigger. They need to do away with the stupid "safety" features and then Ruger would have a real winner.

Yet last I remember playing with it, the reset wasn't good, and there was over travel. Also it didn't feel particularly crisp compared to most of the new strikers out there. Sig P320, M&P 2.0, Ruger American, FNH FS9, etc, etc are all crisper. And I am not even a huge fan of M&P 2.0 trigger as there is too much takeup but its still crisper than a lot of older striker fire guns like sr9c; that being said, it's an overstatement to call it "cruddy" I should have said: "just not that good." I've never even shot the SR9c so I am not even getting at shootability, I just was feeling the dry fire which is fairly telling unless the trigger requires a lot of break in (and that doesn't apply to reset.)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    i have a ruger sr9c comes with a 10+1 and a 17+1, i carry iwb with 10, have carried with the 17 a few times, with the 17 handle sticks out a little with my alien gear.

My buddy bought one of those a couple years back. At first glance I was kind of non impressed, but I have shot it multiple times, and the Ruger shoots really well. He shoots it a lot and has found it dependable. Before he bought, he rented several pistols at Applied Ballistics and shot some of mine. The Ruger and the M&P worked in his hand the best. The short grip/long grip convertability is a practical feature. He still likes his choice.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I love my XDM 3.8 Compact with the extended magazine it holds 19 rounds and the short magazine holds 13. I wouldn't call it slim, but it fits my hands way better than the single stack XDS. I prefer it to the Glock 26 when shooting them back to back.

+1

As slim as any competition in the double-stack range. Certainly comparable to those mentioned.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Well folks, there was a resolution.

Everyone gave great suggestions.

So I was looking at the Ruger Sr9c in the store and I decided to go with what the sr9c folks are going to: the Ruger American 8605 9mm. The truth is, it's heavier, longer barrel, and not really comparable! But hey! It has a very slim grip that fits perfectly in my hands. It feels relatively light still (though supposedly 30oz). The barrel is more boxy than the sr9c but still feels a bit more compact than the P320. The ambi controls, sweet ergonomics, nice trigger, and great price point sold me (you can pick it up online for under $400). It's probably the best trigger I've ever experienced on a $400 striker gun; the pre-travel\travel is nothing on this thing. And while the reset is not tactile its obviously short when you release it. I tried a test tuck in the appendix position and it looks like it's going to do great IWB appendix for a full size pistol.

I do have to admit I'm still going keep my eye on some of the 2017 offerings (P320 X-Carry \ CZ P10c). But I've exceeded my budget for the year. So we'll see about 2018.

For the Glock fans: I just don't get Glocks. They look like blocks and have mush for triggers. But to each their own. They get used in law enforcement all the time so I guess they get the job done. :p

View attachment 53230

Hell to the no!!
    Glock 19, 26

Top Bottom