The best Metals to invest in are Brass and Lead.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Precious metals, diamonds and other things in this category are only precious because we put the value on them. Gold is no more than a soft metal (yellow) that has some industrial uses and the same for silver, diamonds and so on. If we do not value them the value is the same as the paper our currency is printed on, nothing. Now Lead and Brass, that is another story all together.
    A close friend said he was converting his assets to gold and silver. I asked him why and he said if the SHTF paper money will be worthless. I asked him what value a yellow metal would have if the economy collapsed, no answer from him.
    He with the most brass and lead wins.

IndyAK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Somewhere and Nowhere
    For me I value water, food, shelter, guns, and ammo. Without the guns and ammo your food, water and shelter can and will be taken. If not by the government, your unprepared neighbors.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Timing is everything ! Now that silver is $30.57 an oz and gold 1659, I wouldn't argue with what you are saying.

I am glad though I thought differently back in early/mid 90's when I was buying silver for under $5.00 an oz... Over the last 12-18 months I have sold some as I have found good deals on ammo, knives, and loading components. While I am far from where I would like to be, investing in PM's has helped me greatly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For me I value water, food, shelter, guns, and ammo. Without the guns and ammo your food, water and shelter can and will be taken. If not by the government, your unprepared neighbors.

Again "He with the most brass and lead wins"

Chance favors the prepared mind

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Timing is everything ! Now that silver is $30.57 an oz and gold 1659, I wouldn't argue with what you are saying.

I am glad though I thought differently back in early/mid 90's when I was buying silver for under $5.00 an oz... Over the last 12-18 months I have sold some as I have found good deals on ammo, knives, and loading components. While I am far from where I would like to be, investing in PM's has helped me greatly.
    Personal Messages has helped a lot?:laugh:

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Lead groups better than gold, and silver casings suck for reloading .... don't even get me started on the taste!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, you have prospered from the value we "Place" on these PM ( I am not going there :-)
    so good on you. I see you are turning it into the real deal, brass and lead.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Precious metals, diamonds and other things in this category are only precious because we put the value on them. Gold is no more than a soft metal (yellow) that has some industrial uses and the same for silver, diamonds and so on. If we do not value them the value is the same as the paper our currency is printed on, nothing. Now Lead and Brass, that is another story all together.
    A close friend said he was converting his assets to gold and silver. I asked him why and he said if the SHTF paper money will be worthless. I asked him what value a yellow metal would have if the economy collapsed, no answer from him.
    He with the most brass and lead wins.
    My thoughts exactly. If something were to happen, I would bet that salt, tea, water, and other items of that nature would be worth more than gold.

And, just as an FYI, you can buy Morton's salt at Sam's Club for $.98 per 4lb box. ;)

I Love Bourbon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Interesting...
    Exactly how long do you think your SHTF scenerio is going to last, 1 week, 1 month, 5 years? If you are preparing for SHTF that's great but what are you going to do when "the fan" stops turning and things start to get back to their new level of "normal" what ever that may be?
    Are you going to use your ammo for curencyo r are you going to have anything left after you kill all the "zombies", what if you're ammo runs out or it's taken from you (a real possibility)? Lets face it you might feel like John Wayne but the reality is, well, reality.

In a true SHTF world things will eventually return to a new assemblance of normal, in that case whatever "money, FRN, or fiat" that you have in your possession will likely become worthless as the .gov and it's monitary system has collapsed and those notes have been demonitized so now they're just pretty green paper from your past or maybe they're even just black ink on a white piece of paper that says you have something of value. :laugh:
    Think I'm wrong? Take a look at Germany post WWI and see what happened to their currency, they printed marks in demonations of 500,000 and higher and they weren't good for anything. I have stacks of them and all they're good for is use as a learning tool, are you learning anything yet? ;)

Are you going back to your job? :dunno:
    What are you going to do when your ammo isn't enough? Steal or take by force what you need? Then you've just lowered yourself to the lowest common denominator of what you're fighting against.

If you think copper-brass-lead is all the PM's you need you've been drinking the koolaid to long! Preperation is not limited to guns-ammo-booze-tobacco-water-food, figure it out before it's really to late.
    As always YMMV...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Post SHTF will be what ever the survivors make of it. How long to get back or onto the the "Normal" No one could know. What would you propose as a currency to gather for such times?? Food, clothing and other goods are always needed.
    I would (as others) do whatever was required to feed those I am responsible for. No one
    really wants to take a life or force themselves onto others for their goods. Well some would and that is a fact. Such a scenario would be survival of the most fit and well armed. No Kool aid drank here, just a serious dose of reality. The drama that played out in post war Germany was only contained (to a point) by our military presence. If left on their own it would have been far worse. We fed and clothed them, helped re-build as we always do (Japan) so it is not a true example of a total collapse.

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Interesting...
    Exactly how long do you think your SHTF scenerio is going to last, 1 week, 1 month, 5 years? If you are preparing for SHTF that's great but what are you going to do when "the fan" stops turning and things start to get back to their new level of "normal" what ever that may be?
    Are you going to use your ammo for curencyo r are you going to have anything left after you kill all the "zombies", what if you're ammo runs out or it's taken from you (a real possibility)? Lets face it you might feel like John Wayne but the reality is, well, reality.

In a true SHTF world things will eventually return to a new assemblance of normal, in that case whatever "money, FRN, or fiat" that you have in your possession will likely become worthless as the .gov and it's monitary system has collapsed and those notes have been demonitized so now they're just pretty green paper from your past or maybe they're even just black ink on a white piece of paper that says you have something of value. :laugh:
    Think I'm wrong? Take a look at Germany post WWI and see what happened to their currency, they printed marks in demonations of 500,000 and higher and they weren't good for anything. I have stacks of them and all they're good for is use as a learning tool, are you learning anything yet? ;)

Are you going back to your job? :dunno:
    What are you going to do when your ammo isn't enough? Steal or take by force what you need? Then you've just lowered yourself to the lowest common denominator of what you're fighting against.

If you think copper-brass-lead is all the PM's you need you've been drinking the koolaid to long! Preperation is not limited to guns-ammo-booze-tobacco-water-food, figure it out before it's really to late.
    As always YMMV...

Reasonable response...somewhat.
    The OP stated a question pertaining to PMs and a SHTF senario.
    My point is this, if it is hitting the fan, PMs are worthless. We are not talking about the after her... its about making it through the fan turning that is important. The currency afterwords will decide itself when the time comes. Gold and other PMs will be shiney, not much else is guarenteed.
    Will we need to rebuild and regroup? YES
    Is there any way of knowing if it will be a currency or barter system? NOPE
    Just sayin. ...I can buy a $=!+ ton of ammo for the price of 1 oz of gold!!!:twocents:

What flavor kool-aid are we talking about here?:popcorn:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mouse did make some good points. I will always be on my job. My trade has trained me over several areas that will be needed in any post SHTF world. Jack of most trades. I have been a service tech in the refrigeration trades most all of my life with brief (but rewarding) times in the racing industry. These skills will serve me well as I can do most anything when it come time to re-build. That will be something to barter.
    But as I have said all along, He with the most (ammo) will win.

I Love Bourbon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    The issue more likely would be what is the SHTF event...
    Realistically the most probably scenario is going to be a monetary collapse of our currency and not some catastrophic manmade event or a natural disaster. In an event of that type your “survival” needs may be completely different from what many have considered for a SHTF event.
    Will you need ammo? Who knows, lets hope not but eventually what you will need is money, money that everybody will recognize as such. Let’s face it since the beginning of recorded history gold and silver has been used as currency, my setting on a pallet or two of ammo isn’t going to change that.
    Am I saying that you shouldn’t stack ammo, nothing of the sort. But stocking up on ammo and food just isn’t the complete answer, it’s a great start.

Unfortunately most people don’t have the most basic understanding of how US currency is valued, its value is what the .gov and the Federal Reserve Bank tells you it is. It has no value other than what is printed on it, it holds no intrinsic value. (On that train of thought do you realize that the Federal Reserve Bank is not part of the US Gov., it’s a private entity. Research it if you don’t know about it, but don’t do it if you want to sleep tonight.)

Why does gold and silver have value? I don’t know, maybe some caveman threw a rock on a fire and when the fire went out and the sun came up there was a pool of golden metal. Maybe one of them picked it up and the other caveman grunted that it came out of his rock so it was his… at that moment in time gold had value. Regardless of why it has value it does, and it probably always will whether we agree with it or not.
    Do I care if you buy gold or silver, I couldn’t care less how you plan to take care of yourself or your family. But as I read the first few posts on this thread it seems like some people might have the idea that bullets will cure everything, that just isn’t so.
    I wish you luck with whatever you do.

yaquindn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Floyd co./Southern Indiana
    forget metals! I believe i'll stock up on things that will be worth alot more then metals........like tobacco,booze,sugar,ammo,and flour. those things can be used easier than gold,silver,brass or copper. if the SHTF happens a pound of flour will be more than a pound of metal.:twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mouse nailed it about the Fed. Well aware of the power so few have over so many. They will be the first ones skinned and eaten if things get really bad.
    Ammo is not the only answer but if you are known to have material to barter then some will come and take it from you. More than some actually if there is no marshaling force to keep the peace. The peace will be self sustained by you, your group and the ammo you are willing to throw at aggressors come to take your stuff. A lot of folks on here think things will be OK if you are willing to get along. In our recent history, the wild west, it was pure anarchy until civilization, law and order, came along. That will take a long time to get re-organized if our social and economic infrastructure collapses. Ammo and the ability to use it will be very important. I do not hold closely to the decency of men in a SHTF scenario. JMHO...

Top Bottom