• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Anybody know where I can find plans on how they make Texas Stars? Is there any size spec's?? I know several places shoot them but I've not been to one yet to see how they are made. I'd like to make one myself for taking to the range and "playing". :ar15: :D (fwiw, yes, I have the material, equiptment and skills to do it)
    They are having a shoot (possibly) at Marion Co. this Sat. but I am scheduled for a course on Sunday and can't afford to blow the whole weekend (altho, how much FUN would THAT be!!!!! :rockwoot:)
    Thanx a bunch!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    In theory they are just a sturdy base with a riser somewhat taller than the radius of the Star, which is supported on a good (preferably, set) of bearings with an axle through the center of the Star. the targets can be any size, but within a reasonably tight tolerance of weight (although if you don't much care that your Star is unbalanced, it probably wouldn't matter a great deal structurally) and are held to the arms by a back spring clip pushing the target against a front stop, so that the force of the bullet overcomes the force of the clip and the target falls from its nest (which is usually cut in a pattern to match a pattern on one edge of the target, kind of like a loose fitting jigsaw puzzle). If you have the skills and materials to make one, you would probably be able to figure out a design after just seeing one work. MCFG has a few, and the Bowling Pin match this Saturday will be on the Texas Stars vs pins, so I bet if you showed up with a notebook you could sketch out a workable design in a few minutes. If you don't want to go freestyle, here is a set of plans for a pretty cheap and chintzy one that I wouldn't personally make, but I gotta hand it to this guy; I see absolutely NO reason why this wouldn't work, and it's about as cheap as dirt.

EDIT: Bah, clearly I forgot to link. I'll link it when I get back to my computer, too hard on the iPhone.

Last edited:

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    On the Texas Star we have at ACC, the hub is about 36" high. Each of the 5 arms is about 24" long, thus the highest a target can be is 5 feet high, and the bottom of the arc is 1 foot above the ground.

The plates are 3/8" thick and 8" diameter. Each plate has a 'fob' (integral to the plate) that has two holes in it. Those holes are what mate to two pins on the end of each arm, with spring clips as described by rockhopper.

Make SURE you use AR-400 steel MINIMUM. AR-500 preferred, for anything that may get hit by a bullet (pretty much the whole contraption...)

I thought about answering the "How do you make a Texas Star?" question with ::
    Take 50 pounds of EVIL, add 2 pounds of diabolical design, mix with some heat from hell - - voila - - instant Texas Star...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    They are a little heavy for hauling to and from the range. I have one that a friend made but it gets stored at the range.

Serpent2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Anybody know where I can find plans on how they make Texas Stars? Is there any size spec's?? I know several places shoot them but I've not been to one yet to see how they are made. I'd like to make one myself for taking to the range and "playing". :ar15: :D (fwiw, yes, I have the material, equiptment and skills to do it)
    They are having a shoot (possibly) at Marion Co. this Sat. but I am scheduled for a course on Sunday and can't afford to blow the whole weekend (altho, how much FUN would THAT be!!!!! :rockwoot:)
    Thanx a bunch!

I was in Gander Mountain last weekend and I happen to see a "star" target setup for sale, I believe for $30. It had a couple options to configure the star, and it looked a little iffy. I was thinking about buying it, testing it out, and than maybe modifying the design to build my own Texas Star. Ill let ya know how it goes, or if you figure it out let me know

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Can do. I'll either have to experiment on my own or wait till better weather and check out one at a range. But still hopin someone can post a design. The "tabs" are maily the issue. All the rest is rudimentary.
    Thanx a bunch for the help, folks.!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Can do. I'll either have to experiment on my own or wait till better weather and check out one at a range. But still hopin someone can post a design. The "tabs" are maily the issue. All the rest is rudimentary.
    Thanx a bunch for the help, folks.!

You could make the trek and shoot the WVPPS the third Sunday of March and I will let you take pictures of my Texas Star.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Thanx Coach! That could happen. But I'm just hoping I can do something sooner. I know the MCFG has a Star that I could also get a peek at at a Friday Night Steel as well. That is closer and my time is really scarse right now. That's why I was hoping to use the travel time to actually make it. Or, do a shoot somewhere and check one out there.

I just thought of something....... do you guys know if there are different ways of holding the actual targets? Just curious.
    Thanx again!

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    The holding of the targets is the most important part of the entire thing. The quickest thing to go astray and the hardest part to get right....

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanx Coach! That could happen. But I'm just hoping I can do something sooner. I know the MCFG has a Star that I could also get a peek at at a Friday Night Steel as well. That is closer and my time is really scarse right now. That's why I was hoping to use the travel time to actually make it. Or, do a shoot somewhere and check one out there.

I just thought of something....... do you guys know if there are different ways of holding the actual targets? Just curious.
    Thanx again!

The plates sit on two pins and are held in place by a spring loaded tab or lever. I think mine does not have the pins but the base of plate sits in a groove. Cannot remember for certain.

ACT is hosting a day at the range for former students and they can bring guests. You can be my guest and check it out if you like Feb 25.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Thanx Coach!!!!!!!! I appreciate the offer!!! That is very kind! It's too early to say but I will look at the date and see what's up. But I want to be honest, truely, my time is very scarse right now and the time I'd spend doing the traveling would probably be better spent building. Between my work and rentals alone, I'm doing 12 hours a day. And several on the weekends.
    I was just hoping for a plan or picture or something.
    But!, you did mention how yours was held (on 2 pins or groove). I think I got the idea and some of my own. :rolleyes: It's not that this thing is rocket science or anything, it's just the time in figuring it out. I'd just assume not reinvent the mousetrap when there is already a tried and true one out there. I shouldn't even be on here doing so much chatting but I thought I could save some time (and I do enjoy the sharing of ideas with friends!! :)). And since I opened up this can, I will stay with it. I thought putting this out on :ingo: might be the quickest way but I may Google it and see if there is anything on the net. If I find something, I'll be sure to return the favors of responses and post it here.

Mongo, thanx for the response!! Can you get pix or specs? Or send me to where they are? (on the internet)
    I live in Batesville, IN. Down by Cincy.
    Thanx Gents!!!!!!!

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Outstanding! Thank you rvb!!!
    That is what i was looking for. They show two different holding methods. Piece of cake.
    I just wonder if anyone has ever used "GOOD" magnets? I don't know how tough magnets are or how tough they can be but, if they would hold together, that would be easy! I'm thinking something like rare earth magnets that have a very strong pull.
    That's what I needed!! I have a fair idea now what is involved. But always looking for more info. :rolleyes: :D

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Thanx Mongo! I appreciate that!!! I did look on the net and found some "views". If you get a chance, maybe search them and tell me what you think of their ideas. It may save you some drawing time. :rolleyes: :D
    'preciate it!!!!!!!
    Chaz

Top Bottom