• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Here's a PDF of the New York gun control law that just passed the NY state senate:

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/555303/s2230-text.pdf

Here's the summary from the Seattle PI:

—Further restrict assault weapons to define them by a single feature, such as a pistol grip. Current law requires two features.

—Make the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor.

—Mandate a police registry of assault weapons.

—Establish a state registry for all private sales, with a background check done through a licensed dealer for a fee, excluding sales to immediate relatives.

—Require a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally to report the threat to a mental health director who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.

—Ban the Internet sale of assault weapons.

—Require stores that sell ammunition to register with the state, run background checks on buyers of bullets and keep an electronic database of bullet sales.

—Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current national standard of 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. Someone caught with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

—Require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours. Otherwise, the owner would face a possible misdemeanor.

—Increase sentences for gun crimes including for taking a gun on school property.

—Increase penalties for shooting first responders, called the "Webster provision." Two firefighters were killed when shot by a person who set a fire in the western New York town of Webster last month. The crime would be punishable by life in prison without parole.

—Limit the state records law to protect handgun owners from being identified publicly. The provision would allow a handgun permit holder a means to maintain privacy under the Freedom of Information law.

—Require pistol permit holders or those who will be registered as owners of assault rifles to be recertified at least every five years to make sure they are still legally able to own the guns.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This one is hilarious:

"run background checks on buyers of bullets and keep an electronic database of bullet sales."

Man, this is pretty ****ty stuff. Going to get baaaad.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I went through the PDF and didn't find anything regarding reloading, bullets, primers or components. Looks like Dillon, Lee, RCBS, etc might see quite the uptick in sales in New York. They'll probably ban that after a few years as well and say reloaders are "manufacturing death in their own garages and basements".

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    This idiotic 7 round capacity magazine limit will be a de facto ban on many modern pistols. The M1 Garand would be banned entirely unless I'm missing an exemption for fixed magazines.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    The only thing I like in the bill is the second to last part.
    That's the only part that makes sense. I'm sure all the thugs will be standing in line to register and sell all thier hi-cap "magazine clips".
    This law is so going in the wrong direction.
    So are these politicians going to surrender all thier newly illegal firearms and accessories? I'm betting they won't. After all gun laws only apply to law abiding citizens.

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    —Require stores that sell ammunition to register with the state, run background checks on buyers of bullets and keep an electronic database of bullet sales.

Why would you need a background check to buy ammo? I mean criminals are not allowed to have guns so why would they need ammo????????

Oh that's right. Criminals don't follow laws so therefore by writing another law that will keep them from buying ammo at the store, they won't be able to shoot anyone. Really??

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ah, states rights....what a mess.

Databases are costly and hackable.

So if I go on vacation for a week and my guns are stolen out of my home, I can get a misdemeanor for not reporting it withing 24 hrs.

So 7 instead of 10 makes it safer? Only for 3 people. And not so if the shooter has two mags.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Ah, states rights....what a mess.

Databases are costly and hackable.

So if I go on vacation for a week and my guns are stolen out of my home, I can get a misdemeanor for not reporting it withing 24 hrs.

So 7 instead of 10 makes it safer? Only for 3 people. And not so if the shooter has two mags.

Stop trying to make sense. We're discussing legislation and politics. Check your logic at the door.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    —Increase penalties for shooting first responders, called the "Webster provision." Two firefighters were killed when shot by a person who set a fire in the western New York town of Webster last month. The crime would be punishable by life in prison without parole.

So a guy shoots first responders then ends his own life, and the solution is life imprisonment? Lolwut?

cmstuard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    So it's more illegal to shoot a first responder than a civilian? Goes to a similar argument of why should a police officer be allow to have a better chance of defending themselves compared to a civilian by capacity restrictions? :nuts:

milewis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Does anyone else see some large law suits coming due to the absolutely ginormous HIPAA violations that this law would require on the part of mental health professionals?

sigsoldier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Bloomington
    I really hope this doesn't pick up momentum with other states and create a domino effect. I'm through saying "oh it will never happen here, etc." It has been repeatedly demonstrated that politicians will not always listen to the people who put them there.

Top Bottom