• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I took a defensive rifle class with you guys at Riley this year and I brought a chest rig. You loaned me a few belt mounted mag carriers and I learned that I much prefer reloading from the belt to reloading from a chest carrier.

I have since bought a "battle belt" and am setting it up for rifle/pistol use. I remember you showed some ways to set up a belt in the class, but cannot remember the type of pistol holster you use.

Do you have any suggestions? (I am using a glock 19 with tlr-1 light if that matters).

Thank you for your suggestions and I look forward to training more with you guys in the future!

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I took a defensive rifle class with you guys at Riley this year and I brought a chest rig. You loaned me a few belt mounted mag carriers and I learned that I much prefer reloading from the belt to reloading from a chest carrier.

I have since bought a "battle belt" and am setting it up for rifle/pistol use. I remember you showed some ways to set up a belt in the class, but cannot remember the type of pistol holster you use.

Do you have any suggestions? (I am using a glock 19 with tlr-1 light if that matters).

Thank you for your suggestions and I look forward to training more with you guys in the future!

Not thread jacking. What type of battle belt did you get? To some extent that will dictate what holsters will be compatable. Are you looking for retention? Will you be wanting to run the light on the g19 all the time? How acrobatic do you plan on getting with your training? I am being serious ( for once). Have you looked at the g code SOC ? I am putting one together also for a g19 with light ( maybe). I am interested to know which set up you decide on.
    Hope to catch you on the range again too!
    Nigel

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Not thread jacking. What type of battle belt did you get? To some extent that will dictate what holsters will be compatable. Are you looking for retention? Will you be wanting to run the light on the g19 all the time? How acrobatic do you plan on getting with your training? I am being serious ( for once). Have you looked at the g code SOC ? I am putting one together also for a g19 with light ( maybe). I am interested to know which set up you decide on.
    Hope to catch you on the range again too!
    Nigel

I am glad to have your input Nigel.....especially as you were one of the "cool kids" that made me want a belt in the first place.

I bought a HSG suregrip belt. I plan on leaving the light on the G19. That ACT lowlight class really drove home how handy a mounted light can be.

As to retention, I do not have any retention buttons, shrouds, or hoods on any of my other holsters so I am leery of putting one on this belt. On the other hand, I have gotten away from trapeze work lately, but I am prone to falling and tumbling head over heels so retention is a concern. I would hate to lose my fancy pistol with it's fancy light when I fell down and my pistol plopped out of my fancy holster into the fancy river.

I have no experience with the G code holsters, but have looked at them online and they look neat.

I welcome your input.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I have it nailed down to the HSGI suregrip or the Brokos belt. No argument from me about WPL’s being the bee’s knee’s in low light situations, especially one hand low light manipulations! It sure seems to complicate matters, and add cost, when you add in the requirement for a weapon mounted light.
    I like the concept of the Brokos and the ability to run the assortment of holsters I already have. The key here is to make sure the belt loops are the correct size. I like my Raven for my G19 & TLR 1 and would be quite happy using it and go from there. RCS specifically warns against mounting their products any other way than direct to belt but some people have no problem using zip ties and paracord and make it work (that’s just not for me unless SHTF). Price is also about $50 higher for this option.
    The HSGI would require me getting another holster/setup. The SOC setup will be around another $150-200 dollars ($98 holster, $25 light cowl, $30++ for attachment method). Their light set ups only come with retention (pro safe method) which I have no experience with and am not 100% sure I want it. The beauty of the g code set up is the versatility of changing out components via their RTI system. The RTI system does work with other manufacturer’s products so maybe this would be something to consider if you have another holster in mind. The potential down side would be the 1” offset of the holster to the body with these attachment/retention components (desirable feature if wearing a plate carrier/chest rig set up though).
    I like to feed and wear my guns on the waist whenever practical. I have some holsters and mag carriers, pistol & rifle, which work great on a 1 1/2 “ belt which I wear a majority of the time for the more run of the mill training. These work great but I thread them through my belt loops of my trousers and can’t readily jettison them should I desire. A battle belt would enable me to do this and also carry more of a specific load out. I am leaning towards the HSGI tacos in regard to magazine pouches , both single and double stack. I like the versatility the tacos offer both for different mag types but also for securing flashlights, multi tools etc. etc. I plan on starting sparse and adding if the need arises.
    For me it is not an either or situation. I plan on using the ‘loose’ accessories on my daily 1 ½” belt, a battle belt and a chest rig as the need arises. This year I hope to incorporate more physical aspects into my shooting/training which is also driving my requirements.

I look forward to hearing what you and others have to say on the matter.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I can't add much to Nigel's reply as we are much on the same page. The HSGI taco pouches are my choice and my belt mounted BOK is also in one of their pouches. I actually run two battle belts. One has a blackhawk dropleg holster (pulled as high as it will go) and a costa panel on the support side for rifle mags. The pistol tacos are at waist level. This belt is used with my plate carrier to keep belt mounted gear out of the way of the gear on the carrier. The other belt has all the gear mounted at waist level. This one I use without the plate carrier or chest rig. For holsters, I run my normal carry holsters, some are raven some custom made. Both belts have suspenders to shift some of the weight to my shoulders.

The Gcode gear is top shelf and the rti sysem allows rapid and positive exchange of holsters. Very positive retention yet good draw. I have one on my plate carrier and like it so far.

The next time you are coming to one of our classes, remind my and I'll bring the gear.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd go with a Safariland ALS, whether mounted on a battle belt or on a chest rig. The release of the retention is about as intuitive and natural as you can get without being readily obvious and accessible to someone just looking at it.

I'm becoming a convert to the taco pouches as well. My first is a pistol mag taco that I use to carry the light on my belt! Perfect!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try the G Code RTI with Duty Mount that should drop the holster down some, but not as much as a drop leg. I have tried the taco pouches before and agree that they are pretty handy. I think I will add a pistol taco to hold a flash light like Rhino suggested.

Thanks again for the input and I will see you guys in a class soon.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Blade-tech makes a light bearing holster for the Glock 19/TLR-1 combo, I think it's called the Blade-tech OWB w/ Tac-light. That, coupled with their MOLLE-Lok strips, is the most effective way I've found to get a dedicated light holster onto my battle belt.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Stumbled across this threat with almost the exact same questions. I read a LOT of good things about the HSGI tacos. What about the Tactical tailor mag pouches? Any experience there?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Stumbled across this threat with almost the exact same questions. I read a LOT of good things about the HSGI tacos. What about the Tactical tailor mag pouches? Any experience there?
    Tactical tailor is pretty good gear but I've gone to tacos exclusively. I can run the same rig for all my long guns without changing anything. Ar, ak, m1a, they all fit. Right side up or upside down they work well.

Top Bottom