• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Sorry no offense with the title I just wanted to use the popular books as a header.

With the number of new shooters that have started shooting in our area this year and hearing a lot of questions about how the scoring works. I thought I would try and explain it the best I could.

First off IMO when you start shooting USPSA you don’t really need to worry about the scoring to have fun. Just learn the safety and rules you need to shoot the match.
    When you start to look at the results and wonder why you finished where you did then it is time to learn more about the scoring.

Starting with the targets and scoring them I will post a link from a club that explains the targets and Major and Minor scoring instead of typing the same thing here.

RBGC

This will be easier if you open another window and bring up some results to toggle back and forth as you read.
    Here is a classifier from a recent indoor match you can look at.

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=ee17a12b-77c3-4b75-b407-02b0af6273a2&page=stage0-prod

When you look at the results and click on the results for the stages you will see a column that says points. This is a total of the points you shot on that stage.
    When you walk up to a stage before you shoot it look and see how many targets there are that you will be shooting. 2 shots at each paper shoot target and steel until it falls.*unless the stage briefing says otherwise*.
    If the stage has 16 shoot targets and you shoot 2 shots at each target that is 32 rounds. If you shoot 32 A’s on this stage you will shoot a total of 160 points(32 X 5points for an A hit) the max possible on that stage.
    If you shot 20 - A’s and 10 - C’s and 2 - D’s your score would look like this.

For someone shooting major
    20 A’s = 100 points *20x5*
    10 C’s= 40 points *10x4*
    2 D’s= 4 points *2x2*
    Total = 144 points

For someone shooting minor
    20 A’s = 100 points *20x5*
    10 C’s = 30 points *10x3*
    2 D’s = 2 points *2x1*
    Total = 132 points.

That is what the points column means.

Next is a column that says penalties.
    This column will list any penalties you incurred during that stage. These
    include misses and no shoot hits and any procedurals that you received.
    Misses, No shoots, and procedurals usually count for - 10 points each.

The next column we will look at is the time column.
    This is the time it took you to shoot the stage.
    THIS IS NOT YOUR SCORE!!!!!
    This seems to be the only thing that matters to some shooters(even some good
    shooters).

Now to really figure your score you take the points you shot on that stage and
    subtract any penalties and DIVIDE by the time. This gives you the HIT
    FACTOR. This will also be listed in a column on the results page.
    THIS IS YOUR SCORE for that stage.

Example:
    Above Major shooter shot 144 points in say 30 seconds even with no
    penalties it would look like this.

144 points - 0 penalty points divided by 30 seconds = hit factor (HF)
    144 - 0 divided by 30 = 4.8 hit factor.

Keep in mind that when you shoot so fast that you have several
    misses(penalties) your points scored goes down and your HF goes down.
    You have to have points to divide the time into.

OK you have a HF now but what does that mean?
    In the above example the HF was 4.8 this means that you shot 4.8 points a
    second in that stage.

How does this help you?
    Well it can help you decide how to shoot a stage or what to do when things
    don’t go as planned.
    Example for stage planning:
    You see a target at the end of a stage and you can see part of it from a
    different position. From this position you can only see the D scoring zone so
    you will be down 6 points if shooting major if you engage the target from this
    position. If you go to the position where the A zone is visible it will take you
    3 seconds to get there. In the above example of a 4.8 hit factor then those 3
    seconds are worth 14.4 points. (4.8x3sec.)
    By moving to the last position(+3 seconds) and scoring A hits you only pick
    up 6 points (2A’s vs. 2 D’s) vs. shooting the D shots at first position.
    You end up 7 points ahead by shooting the D’s and not using the extra time.

Now you are saying how do I know my HF before I shoot a stage?
    Well that only comes from experience and most of the better shooters can get
    fairly close to what they think they can do just by looking at the stage.
    Every stage at every match will be different but after a couple of matches you
    will see a pattern in your HF and realize that a average 32 round stage you
    will be at say 3.5 HF and go from there.

Another area where this will help is when things go wrong.
    Example:
    You are shooting a stage and the last position has 3 paper and 2 steel targets
    for a total of 8 shots. You are shooting production and have 11 rounds in the
    gun when you come to the last position. You shoot the paper and have some
    misses on the steel and you run the gun empty with 1 steel standing. If you
    are a newer shooter it will take you at least 3-4 seconds to realize the gun is
    empty and do a reload and release the slide and hit the last steel target IF you
    hit it the first shot.
    Now for the math. Using the 4.8 HF we have been using say it takes 3
    seconds to reload and hit the steel. That comes out to 14.4 points by reloading
    and shooting the steel (4.8x3sec).
    If you would have left the steel standing and not reloaded and reengaged your
    time would be 3 seconds faster
    BUT you would have a miss penalty for not hitting the steel.
    The miss penalty is -10 points but you also have to account for the 5 points
    you could have got for hitting the steel(steel is 5 points when knocked down
    same as an A hit on paper).
    So if you don’t reload and reengage the last steel you will be down -15 points
    but your time will be 3 seconds faster.
    If you reload and IF you get the steel in 3 seconds your time will obviously be
    slower but no penalty gets you 14.4 points back.
    So it is less than a half point difference either way.
    It’s your call what to do and what makes the game interesting.
    Note: this problem never goes away as you get better your time to react to
    running a gun dry and reloading get faster but your HF will increase also so
    you will still end up with a very close HF doing a reload or not.

OK next column in the results we will talk about is STAGE POINTS.
    You don’t really need to know a lot of this stuff but here it is if you want it.
    This is what gives a stage it’s worth in the overall match results.
    This can be confusing as the stage points scored in the results is NOT the
    same as the points you shot in the stage.
    Some stages have 32 rounds and that means 160 stage points possible
    (32shots x 5 points for A hits).
    Another stage only has 24 shots so it has 120 stage points possible(24 x 5).
    Another stage may be 6 shots so it has 30 stage points possible (6 x 5).
    This is how each stage is figured into the match results to give balance for
    different size stages.
    This is figured in each division that shoots and is separate from the other
    divisions.
    Say you are shooting production. The production shooter with the highest HF
    for that stage (no matter what the HF is or what their classification is) will get
    All the stage points for that stage.
    Now if you look at the shooter that won that stages HF and then look at your
    HF.
    If you take your HF and divide by the stage winners HF you will get a % of
    their score. This is also listed on the results as stage % but now you know
    how they figure it.
    Now look at the stage points that the stage winner had and take that % you
    got from the HF’s you figured above and that will be the % of the stage
    points you score.
    Example:
    Stage winner had a HF of 5
    You had a HF of 4
    4 divided by 5 says you shot 80% of their score.
    Stage winner got all the stage points available say 120
    Winner gets all 120 stage points
    You get 80 % of that.
    120 X80% =96
    You get 96 stage points.

Now the stage points you shot on all the stages of the match are added
    together and the total determines the winner of each division for the match.

This opens up a whole new game that we call "what if" and it is a valuable tool
    to learn with.
    What if I had not had a miss there and got a A hit instead where would I have
    finished? It doesn’t count but you can learn a lot by playing it.

Playing with the scores can be eye opening. It is surprising when you do the
    numbers and realize that you could have shot the stage 3 seconds slower and
    had the same HF if you didn't have that miss.

Sorry for long post and dry reading but fire away with any questions.
    There are lots of knowledgeable shooters here that can help answer them.

Once again don’t worry about this stuff, you don’t need to know it to have
    fun. It is here if you want it.
    I know a lot of shooters that have been shooting for years that don’t know
    how all the scoring works.

Have fun and stay safe.

EDIT to add info about classifications.

AS Chad posted below classification info is in the rule book in page II-III
    http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb 2014 Handgun Rules.pdf

Cliff note version.
    Need 4 classifiers in a division to receive a classification.
    ONLY the classifier counts toward your classification at a local match.
    At major match the whole match will count toward your classification IF there are 3 GM's(IIRC) shooting in the class you are shooting in.
    Some matches still don't turn them in as a classifier if the Match Director doesn't want to.
    ONLY the class that has 3 GM in it counts. So if there are 4 GM's shooting production and you are shooting SS which has 0 GM shooting the match will not count for classification for SS shooters.

A couple of notes:
    New shooters put pressure on themselves to shoot the classifiers fast and get a good classification but for the first remember that you have to have a score for it to count. A classifier can be a short speed shoot and it can be easy to 0 the stage and it not count.

A common mistake for newer shooters is to look at the results and see they shot the classifier and they got say a 60% on it. That is the % you shot at THAT MATCH and NOT what it will be when run thru the classification data base. The data base is a national compiling of high hit factors for every classifier. You may have shot 60% at your local match but when run thru the database may only be a 40% run nationally.

Last edited:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    shot points fast = hit factor
    highest hit factor wins stage points
    next highest hit factor wins that % of points

the points from each stage adds up to get over all match points

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    What a great post Bosshoss. This should help out a lot of new shooters. Shooting at the indoor matches over the winter has let me see there is a lot of new shooters going to be attending matches this season. I shot the classifier match at parabellum this weekend and had a couple new shooter's ask me how the scoring is figured out. I think the mods should sticky this thread.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Thanks Paul , Question?

How does the scoring for a match effect your status or class standings as a USPSA member. IE: D,C,B,A,Master, Grand Master.

Are only classifiers used to classify you with USPSA?

Do Match results play into the ranking or status of the shooter. Other than the positioning of that match for prizes and pride.

I know you can thank me later. LOL

Good post though.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Paul , Question?

How does the scoring for a match effect your status or class standings as a USPSA member. IE: D,C,B,A,Master, Grand Master.

Are only classifiers used to classify you with USPSA?

Do Match results play into the ranking or status of the shooter. Other than the positioning of that match for prizes and pride.

I know you can thank me later. LOL

Good post though.

http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb 2014 Handgun Rules.pdf

Page ii & iii of the rule book describes the Classification system in great detail.

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Ok, any new shooter who made it 25% down into Pauls post before wondering about what he had already forgotten and then drifting off into thinking about his first girlfriend or that car he wanted in high school has probably figured out that nobody really understands USPSA scoring.

It is like Stonehenge, it's just there and it is massive and nobody really understands much more than that.

The best explanation I have been given is to try to shoot fast but be accurate on long courses, and on short courses try to shoot accurate but be fast.

If you must try and dynamically keep up with match scores a method suggested to me is based upon English pocket change, supposedly that is the basis of much of the points system, but I digress.
    Consider Alpha's Bravo's Charley's etc, to be worth 1 crown, 1 pence, 1 pound , etc. Mikes put you minus a half crown and each second is minus 2 pence.
    At the end of your run convert your English change total into an American currency sum.
    If you can do that all in your head before it is time to paste then you know that your mind is running at an awesome speed and you are kicking butt at the match.
    If you get lost very early in the process or keep walkng into things, not so much.

Last edited:

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Grelber,
    It's really not that complicated. Cliff Notes below.

Hit Factor = (Points Shot on stage - penalties) / Stage Time.

Competitors Stage Points = Shooters Hit Factor / Highest Hit Factor * Available Points

Match Results = Sum of shooters stage points.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    shot points fast = hit factor
    highest hit factor wins stage points
    next highest hit factor wins that % of points

the points from each stage adds up to get over all match points

Well Jake you could have posted that BEFORE I typed all that stuff:laugh:

When talking to newer shooters they don't have a clue what "hit factor or stage points" even are.
    I feel that is a problem with USPSA and new shooters. A lot of things are "assumed" and we fail to realize that not everyone is on INGO or BE forums.
    I do the new shooters meeting at South Central and started giving the new shooters a piece of paper with links so they could find the results to the match to see how they did. One newer shooter brought a first timer with him and he attended the meeting with his friend I gave them the paper with the links to the results. He told me this was his third match and he had never seen the results from the first two because he didn't know where to find them. Not everyone knows where to look for the results.
    BTW I tend to push the combined score site USPSA Clubs for easy to find results. The USPSA site is not easy to find results UNLESS you are a member and most new shooter are not yet members. The practiscore site is also not user friendly and some of that is that some clubs post the results as 3/11/2015 USPSA and you have to look thru 10 or 12 results before you find the one you are looking for. *stats people PLEASE put the club name in the upload to practiscore*
    Combined score site you just find the state and then find the club and then the match. I know it isn't the official results but it is close and has all the info you need.

About 20 years ago my Wife and I gave "intro to USPSA shooting classes" that was geared toward new shooters and some tips and strategies for some of the shooters with some experience to keep them from getting bored in class.
    We fell into this very thing in one of our first few classes as I finished explaining the scoring zones on the target. I moved on and started talking about steel targets and after a few minutes of discussion a gentleman in the class raised his hand and asked "what is a pepper popper?"
    We forget what it is like to be new and know nothing about the sport we are just starting to play.

Last edited:

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Ok, any new shooter who made it 25% down into Pauls post before wondering about what he had already forgotten and then drifting off into thinking about his first girlfriend or that car he wanted in high school has probably figured out that nobody really understands USPSA scoring.

It is like Stonehenge, it's just there and it is massive and nobody reals understands much more than that.

The best explanation I have been given is to try to shoot fast but be accurate on long courses, and on short courses try to shoot accurate but be fast.

If you must try and dynamically keep up with match scores a method suggested to me is based upon English pocket change, supposedly that is the basis of much of the points system, but I digress.
    Consider Alpha's Bravo's Charley's etc, to be worth 1 crown, 1 pence, 1 pound , etc. Mikes put you minus a half crown and each second is minus 2 pence.
    At the end of your run convert your English change total into an American currency sum.
    If you can do that all in your head before it is time to paste then you know that your mind is running at an awesome speed and you are kicking butt at the match.
    If you get lost very early in the process or keep walkng into things, not so much.

When I first started USPSA I was really confused as it is hard to balance speed vs accuracy. The scoring is a relatively simple concept. Bottom line is that if you are shooting all Alphas, there is a good chance you should be trying to shoot faster. If you are having a lot of mikes and deltas, you are going the right speed, just not shooting very well at that speed!!! You should be shooting around 90%-%95 of the available points of the match. Some would argue a bit higher, but it really depends on the division you are shooting as well.

On a very high hit factor field course (a relatively fast stage like under 15 sec or so), time is gonna be weighted heavier. If it is a low hit factor stage, (think 32 shots and 25+sec) losing a small amount of time isn’t going to matter as much. You need to find a good balance of shooting good points efficiently.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I started to answer this until I realized you were making a suggestion for topics to include in what looks like a potential "sticky".

Great catch Slawberger.

And thanks for the Edit Paul, As you know you just recently had to explain this to me. I thought it was very helpful.

And reading the rule book for long periods of time is a nap waiting to happen. The newbies appreciate it. Thanks

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

Hate to burst your bubble Jeff but the Kindle/Nooks (that you love) don't recognize foreign money inputs.
    Great suggestion though keep them coming:stickpoke:

See you Sunday at Riley:yesway:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    On a very high hit factor field course (a relatively fast stage like under 15 sec or so), time is gonna be weighted heavier. If it is a low hit factor stage, (think 32 shots and 25+sec) losing a small amount of time isn’t going to matter as much. You need to find a good balance of shooting good points efficiently.

This is scripture right here.

Top Bottom