• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A few of us hosted some friends at the range yesterday. 11 guests from all corners of the state. All ingo members. We schooled them on the rules and for the most part they were followed. A safe and so very fun day. To the man they loved the place.
    One of the RO's stopped at the south bay where we were set up and thanked us for everyone paying the fee and policing up the area.
    He also shared with me that we can no longer set clays up on the berms and shoot them.........:scratch:......just not able to see this decision holding merit as being a good idea.
    He did tell me that some of the members were "Attempting" to shoot them off the trap houses etc. and there were bullet holes in the trap houses. That is just ignorant. Adults acting like kids. To those members I would like to thank you for ruining one of my favorite things to do at the ranges. Bust clays at 25 yds. and beyond with a hand gun. Great. Good job folks. :(

If any of you doing this are ingo members feel free to PM me with an explanation as to why this was a good idea.

To the board, I can not see that shooting clays is all that bad an idea. You shoot the snot out of them on Thursday nights. Please do not let the action of a few poor thinkers (I would so love to say more but Decorum) ruin this for the rest of us.

-CM-

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Agreed, this is disappointing. I have not been out much this year, but this busting clays on the dirt backstop was one of the nice things (besides the steel in the bays) about MCF&G.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Just a silly thought, but if a rule must be made (seriously? a rule is needed to instruct people not to shoot things that aren't supposed to be shot?), why not make that rule, Thou shalt not shoot the trap houses? It would seem that a clay on the berm would be perfectly safe and reasonable, and wouldn't have anything to do with the actual problem observed.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Just a silly thought, but if a rule must be made (seriously? a rule is needed to instruct people not to shoot things that aren't supposed to be shot?), why not make that rule, Thou shalt not shoot the trap houses? It would seem that a clay on the berm would be perfectly safe and reasonable, and wouldn't have anything to do with the actual problem observed.

Unfortunately, they keep building better idiots.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I'm a member at MCFG and FCVCC. Fall Creek has a similar rule - no shooting at anything except a paper target - and they've run people off for shooting clays off the backstops.

Not sure why that rule is in place, but MCFG isn't the only place. The bays have steel targets, and bullet fragments can fly off of them, so what's the difference?

If someone feels strongly enough, they can show up at a monthly meeting and raise the topic.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I call bull****. There is nothing in the rules forbidding shooting clays against the berm as long as you aren't throwing them (in the bays), and the bullet impacts the berm and not the ground.

Target, Placement, and Usage for the Main Range and Shooting Bays:

Only target types listed below are allowed on the range. No targets of opportunity (i.e. birds, rocks, soda cans, etc.) are allowed. Maximum height of stationary targets is 5’ to the top edge. Minimum height of stationary targets MUST be sufficient to prevent bullets from impacting the gravel.

Place targets so a bullet passing through the target enters the berm without hitting the frame. Make sure your rounds do not contact the metal target rings.

Bullets should not strike the ground at any time.

Rules for the Bays:

31. If more than 1 person desires to use a bay, each bay shall be divided amongst up to four active shooters and the shooters shall all agree on a common firing line.

32. Keep your targets as close to the back berm and as close to the ground as possible without risking impacting the ground.

33. Targets in the bays may be placed in an array similar to Friday Night Steel, but the muzzle must ALWAYS point downrange.

34. No shooting of aerial targets (i.e. no throwing clay pigeons) in the shooting bays.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Please know in all of this I have no intention of getting the RO in trouble for sharing this. He was polite and we had a very pleasant conversation.

He came over as the last of us were cleaning up.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Has there been an official rule change on this, or was it just one RO's "opinion"? If the Powers That Be want to forbid the shooting of clay birds LAYING AGAINST THE BERM because a few idiots were shooting them OFF THE TRAP HOUSE, I will have to seriously consider not renewing my membership next year. Shooting clay birds in the bays is my son's absolute favorite thing to do when we go to the range. Seems to me that a compromise could be reached on this issue, if the board would give it a bit of consideration.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Seems to be the way of the world these days.. Instead of ferreting out the offenders and removing them from the membership roles let's annoy the total membership by penalizing them as if they are all guilty. I'll never understand that logic but see it all too often lately.. I"m not a member but I can say that if I were I would be talking with the powers that be about taking away something that I enjoyed because of some "unknown" offender.
    To shooter521 I would say compromise, why would you even consider that? :) Find your problem children and as my wife would say "send them far away". (old Russian saying)
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Folks nothing is going to change or not change unless people come to the board meeting. The rule book on the website is outdated, I got a printed copy and it shows 3 Feb 2015 amend date. The rule for clay pigeons states aerial target shooting for shotguns, this could be viewed as not allowing placing clays on the berm, but with the previous rule allowing clays on the berm this rule is a bit confusing.

rule.jpg

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Folks nothing is going to change or not change unless people come to the board meeting. The rule book on the website is outdated, I got a printed copy and it shows 3 Feb 2015 amend date. The rule for clay pigeons states aerial target shooting for shotguns, this could be viewed as not allowing placing clays on the berm, but with the previous rule allowing clays on the berm this rule is a bit confusing.

View attachment 39931
    I'd argue that a clay pigeon on the face of the berm is in no way "aerial" and will continue to shoot them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

View attachment 39931

It is confusing. It is also silly. Address the real issues. Get the membership in line. If you see someone acting the fool call them on it. I have. I have also been set right myself. Police the site. Not NAZI like but keep it running.

Top Bottom