• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308skinner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    So, IN
    I cant seem to find anything it likes. Ive tried 180gr Barnes TTSX with 43.8 gr of H322 which didnt do bad. Ive tried 200 Hornady Interlocks with H322 from39.5gr to 42.5gr best i got was 1.1 MOA @ 100. Ive tried 200gr Hornadys with IMR 4198 aswell, from 35gr to 39gr. Best with that combo was 1.7 MOA @ 100. Also tried 200gr Accubonds with H322 from 43gr to 43.5gr best was 2.5 MOA. Any help or other loads to try would be great. The rifle is a 700 with a Shilen #4 built by Southern Indiana Precision.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I looked at your Data and consider it for awhile before replying. Sounds like you know what you are doing when it comes to reloading. Frankly I don't think you have a load problem, I think you have a rifle problem. You might look and see what can be done in that regard. If that Barnes or the Accubond won't shoot sub moa it is not likely much else will.

308skinner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    So, IN
    I talked to the smith and he says wait till deer season is over. Which would be late season Dec 26 to Jan 3. Then well pull it apart and look at everything. I think ive got a bad barrel.

I thought about try RL7 and RL10 with the 180 TTSX and 200 Accubonds. Just gotta go get some this weekend.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I'm telling ya man, I'd stray away from the Barnes bullets. Merkel and massey will tell you the same. They just don't don't expand well enough on deer unless you hit a heavy bone. The Hornadys open up alot better. I don't think it's worth the risk of losing a deer like Merk did this year. I'm not saying they don't work, but your chances of losing one are much higher.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I shoot the 200 gr TTSX in a 358 Just Hunt 1.8 at an MV of 2887 fps and have shot 5 deer with it so far and expansion and terminal performance have been excellent. Perhaps the extra velocity plays a part.

308skinner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    So, IN
    I'm telling ya man, I'd stray away from the Barnes bullets. Merkel and massey will tell you the same. They just don't don't expand well enough on deer unless you hit a heavy bone. The Hornadys open up alot better. I don't think it's worth the risk of losing a deer like Merk did this year. I'm not saying they don't work, but your chances of losing one are much higher.

I know man, ive been working on loads with the Hornady, but no luck. Went from 34.5grs to 39grs with IMR 4198 with them. Had no luck on groups. Also went from 39.5 to 42.5 with H322 and Hornadys with really no luck. Had one group at 1.2 MOA 1 was a flyer. Not sure if it was me or load.

sstark39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2017
    Seymour
    Have you considered the coal? Maybe lengthen or shorten a .001 or so? I know it made a huge difference on my 7mm rem mag! Might consider the cartridge overall length to improve accuracy.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    308 skinner, have you seen a drop of interest in the .358 Hoosier since Indiana legalized most CF rifle rounds for use on private land? I was doing my best to find an affordable way to get a 358 Hoosier bolt gun then I stumbled on to the 35 Remington and once trimmed a little it also is public land legal. Although the 35 Remington is lacking a little performance wise VS the Hoosier, it also was when you add up the cost of brass, dies, donar rifle and smith fees about 1/3 the total cost of the Hoosier. When it came time to buy my two sons deer rifles, the Marlins just made the most financial sense.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    308 skinner, have you seen a drop of interest in the .358 Hoosier since Indiana legalized most CF rifle rounds for use on private land? I was doing my best to find an affordable way to get a 358 Hoosier bolt gun then I stumbled on to the 35 Remington and once trimmed a little it also is public land legal. Although the 35 Remington is lacking a little performance wise VS the Hoosier, it also was when you add up the cost of brass, dies, donar rifle and smith fees about 1/3 the total cost of the Hoosier. When it came time to buy my two sons deer rifles, the Marlins just made the most financial sense.

If your still looking I have a 358 bfg that was built right, that I will include components on for a steal of a price (roughly 75% off of build cost.)

Top Bottom