• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    View attachment 52063

Supposedly coming out in February with a $699 MSRP. I guess marketing decided "Cobra" sounded better, but with a steel frame the traditionalist in me says this is a Detective Special.

Not sure I'll be interested in owning one, but will be interested to see how this shakes out.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Hmmm. Interesting. Hard to tell but the cylinder release in the pic doesn't look like a traditional Colt one.

BBI - To your point, with a steel frame this would really be a DS, alloy frame would be a Cobra.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    My Colt related list of demands
    1) Get rid of Series 80 it is stupid
    2) Front strap checker all the 1911's!!!!!
    3) Do not bring back the Python I very much like the current value on mine
    4) I want night sights as an option for the 1911's

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Hmmm. Interesting. Hard to tell but the cylinder release in the pic doesn't look like a traditional Colt one.

BBI - To your point, with a steel frame this would really be a DS, alloy frame would be a Cobra.

Besides the cylinder release, the shape of the trigger guard looks different. I had one of the DS's made in the 90's.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have semi hopes for it, but I hope they don't bastardize the internals. If they decided to redesign the insides.....

Waiting for flop in 3.....2......1.......

And agreed calling it a Cobra was stupid

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Maybe I'm just cynical, but since much of what passes as brilliance in business these days is recycling old designs with substandard materials, inferior workmanship and a higher price. But of course, much more marketing to sell the junk.

I'm wondering if Colt could actually make a revolver as good as its legacy models, even if it really wanted to and tried hard to do so. Those skilled laborers are largely long gone, I'm afraid.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    But how are they ever going to land a defense contract with this? So puzzled...:dunno:...lol.

...I'm wondering if Colt could actually make a revolver as good as its legacy models, even if it really wanted to and tried hard to do so. Those skilled laborers are largely long gone, I'm afraid.

I dunno. I wish Colt were still a major player too, but I still have some of those legacy revolvers, and although I must say they're nice cosmetically, the triggers stack worse than any Smith. I think people just weren't willing to pay that premium for a "stacking trigger" gun with pretty cosmetics and the "union label" anymore. Paying the skilled laborers to turn out products, slowly, that are no functionally better than what other companies are _manufacturing_, combined with an overreliance on defense contracts, is probably why Colt has been in the financial shthole they've been in since most of us were teenagers.

But I do like a good 6 shot snubby - so someone feel free to step up and perform the INGO 50 shot test fire on one of these! The classifieds are calling to me...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe I'm just cynical, but since much of what passes as brilliance in business these days is recycling old designs with substandard materials, inferior workmanship and a higher price. But of course, much more marketing to sell the junk.

I'm wondering if Colt could actually make a revolver as good as its legacy models, even if it really wanted to and tried hard to do so. Those skilled laborers are largely long gone, I'm afraid.

Could they? Sure. But few people will pay enough to make it a sound business. Profit margin isn't there.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember the Agent released in the early 80s, wasn't real impressed with the quality compared to the old Agent,Cobra, DS. Maybe they will do better with this gun.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    At least I am honest about what I want and why lol, that being said they could not make a Python that even compares to the old ones for less than $2000
    And I think this is what people need to keep in mind before getting too excited. At the quoted MSRP, this simply can not be a high quality revolver.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    At least I am honest about what I want and why lol, that being said they could not make a Python that even compares to the old ones for less than $2000

And honestly if I ever paid that much for a handgun it would be a safe queen. 686+ with mods would be 90% of a classic Python and I can actually enjoy shooting it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom