• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Searched a few threads for the answer to this and am still not sure the best route to go
    I am new to reloading and am not sure which die set to get for reloading 223 for my ar's. Should i go with the short base dies or would just a regular 2 or 3 die set with fl sizer be fine. I will be starting with new brass and then eventually reloading it and some other various brass but all will be from my personal ar's. I've been pouring over article after article and still am not sure which way to go. Figured best to ask the guru's here. Thanks in advance
    P.S. will basically be just plinking ammo im making and i have no bolt guns I'd be using it in

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Regular Dies are fine. Small base is not needed unless you KNOW it is small chamber (ie: you made it that way).

Get a Redding or Forster 2-die FL Sizer set. Forster's sizing button is better, but Redding has carbide floating buttons available. If you want best accuracy, get one or the other's Benchrest seaters...they are legitimately better on target.

If a little cheaper is in mind, then go with Hornady New Dimension, which are by all accounts great dies for the money.

Even with plinking ammo, I don't think any other dies are in contention for my money except $$$ customs.

-Nate

ETA: Crimps are unnecessary unless...well, I don't know what. If you are running 0.003"-0.004" neck tension like most FL dies will produce, in the AR, it just doesn't move the dern bullet around in recoil. Mayyyybe if I were going to full-auto...

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into the Redding and Forrester die sets. So far been looking at Lee and Hornaday. Leaning towards the Hornaday as of now

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    IMHO not you aren't going to get Lee dies to save money, then just get Redding and save time wondering what to get.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    If you just want plinking ammo Hornady or Lee are fine. Heck, I produce very accurate loads with Lee and Hornady dies. IMO, since you are doing it for cost savings and not shooting sub moa matches, go with the Lee dies. They work fine.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Yup if its just plinking get the Lee's. I've loaded probably 8k of 55gr FMJ with Lee dies and they shoot 2 moa or better. They are nothing fancy and they get the job done. Personally unless you're trying for super match loads, which would require a match barrel and bolt, Lee dies will work for you. I used them when loading 69gr Sierra's and got 1 moa pretty easily

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks guys. I think ill probably just get the Lees. I was more worried about if the short based dies were needed for reliability in the semi auto platform. Definitely will not be making 1000's of rounds, just wanting to get my feet wet in the reloading world. Im sure someday as time becomes more available i may change my direction, but think this will suffice for the time being

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    All I have are Lee die sets and anyone that's came over to the house here and seen some of the groups I've personally shot can vouch that they produce some very accurate loads. As far as your first set IMO get the Lee die set with the factory crimp die. If its going in a semi-auto I factory crimp, is it truly needed. Maybe not, but I error on the side of caution and have never had an issue as long as I've been loading my own.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    When I started with 223 I used Hornady dies. I must have gotten a very tight die as I would stick cases at an alarmingly high rate.

Switched to a LEE standard 223 die. I like their decapping pin design's ability to loosen and drive out a stuck case. Now I don't hardly stick cases with the LEES.

I've sized since 2013 with this 223 LEE die but switched to a Forster seater about 3 years ago. (Load around 1500-2000 rounds per year, shooting NRA, CMP across the course)

I recently bought a set of LEE 308 dies to load for a tight chambered M1A match rifle and was unable to get them size down enough. I ended up with a small base redding die.

I've also started using Whidden dies for 308 long range rifle. Their quality is top notch. Whidden, prefers to load his ammo with his standard "non neck bushing" die, and sells a set of different size expander balls to achieve proper neck tension.

Regarding the factory crimp die, I quit using it. With proper neck tension it's unnecessary. BUT, I'm running all one headstamp brass for consistency.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Once again thanks for all the comments. I do have lymans 48th edition reloading guide which ive been reading and have lymans ar guide coming. Thought the ar guide would be perfect as i do want to eventually move up to reloading for my 300aac and 458 socom.

terrance250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nothing wrong with LEE dies at all. I've used almost all of the major brands, but usually only get picky if it's something for precision long range stuff, and in that case prefer Redding competition dies. The Lyman manual is a good choice too. If you can find someone who already know the ropes to get you started, but even if you can't there's plenty of info and folks on the web willing to help.

BuickGS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Winamac
    I have only Lee dies. No complaints. I have had a few issues with breaking dies, be it a depriming pin or galled threads so I sent it back to Lee and didnt cost me anything. I wont say they are the Kmart of reloading tools but more of a craftsman tool. Quality, good price, and does the job that I need it to do.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ordered up a set of lee pacesetter dies to start out with. Midway seems to have the best prices. Ordered some hornaday fmj bt bullets and found what seems to be a good deal on some brass from brass bomber. Got 200 cases cleaned, deprimed, and swaged for $20 shipped. Now onto getting some powder and primers. Think im gonna go with cci 400 or cci 41 for the primer and h335 powder. Last 2 things i need to get to begin this newest venture. Thanks everyone for the all the feedback. I do have my boss to help out if i need some up close help. Gonna start off small and learn the ropes. Once i feel ive got the 223's downpat ill move onto the 300aac and then the 458 socom. Maybe eventually onto 9mm and 45acp.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Sounds good

I load 9 and 45 on a Dillon progressive
    223 and 300aac on a Lee single stage

It's a lot of fun and nice to be able to tune loads to your own gun. Great thing to be doing this time of year.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    When I started with 223 I used Hornady dies. I must have gotten a very tight die as I would stick cases at an alarmingly high rate.

No, that generally means you are either not using enough lube, using it in the wrong places, or using poor lube.

Sure, dies can vary, but chambers vary more. A larger chamber spitting out casings that are relatively large to be sized back to SAAMI body dimensions is likely at least part of the problem.

-Nate

Top Bottom