Hmmmm, The Feds must have intel about another airlines attack???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Dunno, but I'd stick to the rules if you're on a Royal Jordanian flight. I was on one where a trouble maker was tied up with those seat belt demonstrator things, then cocooned in duct tape, and physically assisted into a calmer state. He then remained in the duct tape cocoon for the remainder of a very long flight.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They had a few batteries that exploded during flight on different flights.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with terrorism.

Not sure if you can still carry your laptop in a checked bag, turned off.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would have no problem with leaving my laptop in my checked bags since I never use it during the flight anyway.
    The only problem I have is with the way they handle your checked bags.
    You don't want any fragile electronic device in there. :n00b:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They had a few batteries that exploded during flight on different flights.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with terrorism.

Not sure if you can still carry your laptop in a checked bag, turned off.

That doesn't add up if they are only banning them on flights to the US. It also doesn't add up that it'd be cool in the cargo hold. Fire is fire, and it seems like a fire in the passenger compartment could be dealt with easier than a fire in the cargo hold...but I don't know poo about airplanes. Maybe they have some fire suppressant system in the cargo hold.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    But didn't a judge in Hawaii just recently say you can't ban people from specific countries, so wouldn't banning electronic devices fall into the same category of we don't care what they do to us as long as we don't make them feel bad before they do it??? Or something silly like that.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That doesn't add up if they are only banning them on flights to the US. It also doesn't add up that it'd be cool in the cargo hold. Fire is fire, and it seems like a fire in the passenger compartment could be dealt with easier than a fire in the cargo hold...but I don't know poo about airplanes. Maybe they have some fire suppressant system in the cargo hold.

It could be that they are banning them only from countries with less strict laws regarding electronic devices (Asia and Africa) because those made for those countries are more likely to explode.
    Also I think it only happens when they are in use.So if they are in the cargo hold they would be turned off.
    It's also easier to control a fire in the cargo hold.You can stop the flow of fresh air (therefore oxygen) to that part of the plane.
    You can't do that with the cabin since passengers need to breath.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    FWIW, it is forbidden to have lithium batteries in checked baggage. The cargo compartment is the WORST place to have a thermal runaway and fire. If you listen to the gate announcements, they typically repeat this information. Remove all lithium batteries from checked baggage.

And no... fighting a fire in a cargo hold is NOT easier than cooling a battery in a metal trash bin with water. Not by a long shot.

You also cannot stop oxygen from entering the hold... the pressurized cargo holds share the same pressurized bubble that you are in. It's the same air, recirculated. You can blow the halon bottles, sure, but there is a lot more to burn in a cargo hold, than in the cabin where you can easily isolate the battery, and it isn't hidden from view.

I know a little about aircraft.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I flew today and was status quo. Checked firearm didn't even get the second look from TSA. I take the slide off, so the xray or whatever shows for sure its unloaded and the gate agent is also quite sure without either of us having to manipulate it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think the electronics that would have flown from those 10 airports should sue for quasi, kinda, maybe religious discrimination.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Interesting.
    It doesn't make much sense, for security reasons, that you can take your laptop in the cabin with one airline and can't with another.
    If it's at the same airport all passengers go thru the same security screening no matter what airline they use.
    I thought they would ban all electronics from a specific country because their security screening might not be as thorough as some others, but banning it only on specific airlines doesn't make much sense. :scratch:

Also if it's a way to bring customers to US airlines then why not have more airlines affected by the ban.
    Those people who fly from those 10 countries can still take their electronic devices on British Airways or AirFrance, on flights to the US. :dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The UK is also banning laptops from flights.

US and UK ban cabin laptops on some inbound flights - BBC News

It still doesn't make any sense.
    It's only banned on flights from a few countries, with just a few airlines concerned.
    And laptops are still allowed in the cargo hold.

• Mohammed V International, Casablanca, Morocco
    • Ataturk Airport, Istanbul, Turkey
    • Cairo International Airport, Egypt
    • Queen Alia International, Amman, Jordan
    • King Abdulaziz International, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
    • King Khalid International, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    • Kuwait International Airport
    • Hamad International, Doha, Qatar
    • Abu Dhabi International, United Arab Emirates
    • Dubai International, United Arab Emirates

Anyone from those countries can still fly with a laptop as long as they don't take a direct flight to the US.
    Nothing stop them from boarding a plane with another airline from a country not on the list and get a direct flight to the US (where they can then bring the laptop in the cabin). :dunno:

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Simple....bad guys (AQAP) are trying to hide explosives in electronic devices...it has been stated (unofficially) to the media that a its intel driven from a SF raid in Yemen. Similar to what happened in Somalia last year. Since we don't trust their security at those "higher threat" locations, its easy to just say no electronics.

Somalia-Emergency-Lan_Horo.jpg

Anything put in checked baggage would have to be a fully assembled threat device, thus easier to detect.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Quoted because this is more likely reality than anything regarding things that go boom.

If it were because of boomy things, ALL airlines would be affected and it appears that they are not.

Not necessarily, there are many behind the scenes factors that determined why certain airports were on the list, just like the reason between carryon items or checked baggage. I like the fact they wont tip their hand and say why....all this does is show bad guys what measure they need to bypass.

It also gives two guys at the "financial times" a reason to write an uninformed story.

When it comes to intel/security...it's not too bright to tip your hand just to make the media satisfied that you're doing the right thing.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Simple....bad guys (AQAP) are trying to hide explosives in electronic devices...it has been stated (unofficially) to the media that a its intel driven from a SF raid in Yemen. Similar to what happened in Somalia last year. Since we don't trust their security at those "higher threat" locations, its easy to just say no electronics.

View attachment 54282

Anything put in checked baggage would have to be a fully assembled threat device, thus easier to detect.
    I can think of three other reasons:

1) Checked bags are scanned behind the scenes, so the terrorist has no control over who scans it. For carry-on, he can choose which line to get in, presumably choosing the line with a compromised or collaborating inspector.

2) If the threat device is detected in checked baggage, it's rendered harmless without the terrorist knowing it until he is taken into custody. He then becomes a potential liability to the terrorist organization. If detected in carry on, he's in close proximity and at least has a possibility at making it go boom, even if he is the sole fatality. Any boom in an airport makes headlines.

3) To avoid detection, the device must be small... this also means it must be close to the bulkhead and/or hydraulic/control lines in the airplane. This cannot be guaranteed, and is very unlikely, when placed in the hold with hundreds of suitcases surrounding it. Think shaped charge.

Top Bottom