• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just saw a write up about this new(er) offering from CCI.
    It's a 100% lead-free .22lr round made from compressed copper and polymer.
    Weighing in at only 21grs. this little booger is running 1850fps!

Yes, it does look a little spendy at $10 and change for 100 rounds, and sure, the cheaper lead bullets kill squirrels just fine, these new hot rounds might be good medicine for coyote or groundhog, raccoon.

Has anyone here tried them yet?

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    The Plinkster's video about it is pretty good.....[video=youtube;JyuVEexAXaw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyuVEexAXaw[/video]

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I bought 100 rounds to give a go before the Riley CC rimfire rifle competition. They shot horribly from my 10/22 at 25 yards. By horribly I mean 2.5". So, they could feasibly work for the critter control. I fired maybe 30 rounds for grouping out of the 10/22. It certainly wasn't to be for the match, but I'm usually not shooting in a competition so I gave them more effort at different ranges and guns. The 50 yard stretch with 10/22 was too much for my ego so I shot them from my 617. They were as accurate as I could reasonably shoot so I carried them around for a while in that gun while romping in the woods. I was never fortunate enough to shoot a critter with them but they blew up many eggs, apples, creek bank mud splash, coke cans, etc. If it weren't for the price I'd happily carry them around instead of Stingers...in my 617.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Found a deal on a mess of them at the Crown Point show.

Fired them all through my new Browning "Black Label" 1911 in .22lr. Ran like a sewing machine.

Plates and paper, Mgderf. I know you test against live media, but they ran my little .22 1911 just fine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought 100 rounds to give a go before the Riley CC rimfire rifle competition. They shot horribly from my 10/22 at 25 yards. By horribly I mean 2.5". So, they could feasibly work for the critter control. I fired maybe 30 rounds for grouping out of the 10/22. It certainly wasn't to be for the match, but I'm usually not shooting in a competition so I gave them more effort at different ranges and guns. The 50 yard stretch with 10/22 was too much for my ego so I shot them from my 617. They were as accurate as I could reasonably shoot so I carried them around for a while in that gun while romping in the woods. I was never fortunate enough to shoot a critter with them but they blew up many eggs, apples, creek bank mud splash, coke cans, etc. If it weren't for the price I'd happily carry them around instead of Stingers...in my 617.

Possibly to light and fast for the 10/22....???

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I just saw a write up about this new(er) offering from CCI.
    It's a 100% lead-free .22lr round made from compressed copper and polymer.
    Weighing in at only 21grs. this little booger is running 1850fps!

Yes, it does look a little spendy at $10 and change for 100 rounds, and sure, the cheaper lead bullets kill squirrels just fine, these new hot rounds might be good medicine for coyote or groundhog, raccoon.

Has anyone here tried them yet?

IMO, a lighter, less solidly constructed .22 bullet is not the correct direction to go for coyotes or groundhogs. If they were solid copper and would reliably expand at the velocity then it would quite different.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I applaud CCI for trying to find a solution for the coming lead restrictions (which are here in some places, coming in others), but for now, copper over lead works for me.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    IMO, a lighter, less solidly constructed .22 bullet is not the correct direction to go for coyotes or groundhogs. If they were solid copper and would reliably expand at the velocity then it would quite different.

^^^This^^^

Pricey, but given their high velocity and frangible nature, I imagine they might be a bit more fun than regular 40gr when shooting 'splodey things like old plastic bottles filled with water.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Possibly to light and fast for the 10/22....???

My best guess, also. The YouTube attached above shows pretty good accuracy from a 10/22. Like most things shooting, each gun is temperamental.

I didn't expect such poor results in ballistic gel. It makes a pretty good mud funnel (my best double blind scientific study)

Top Bottom