• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking Fires

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Clarksville
    Just bought a Ruger Speed Six with the 2.75in barrel. I've read a lot of advice about not using magnum loads in shorter revolvers due to recoil and muzzle flash but the Ruger seems like its a hefty gun with a good set of rubber grips, does anyone have expierence shooting full power 357s out of one? Would I be better off with 38 Special plus P ammo?

It's my first 357 but I have had several 38 specials in which I always shot 158gr Hornady XTPs.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Speer Gold Dot .38+P is pretty much the standard that any other short barrel .38/.357 load is judged by when it comes to self defense. I don't know that it's "the best", but it's very consistent and in the sweet spot between control and power.

Speer Ammo - Short Barrel

.38 wadcutters also do pretty good work at a lower recoil. You get more penetration, and of course no expansion, but the wadcutter bullet shape does cause more tissue crush than a round nose or failed-to-open hollowpoint.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There are just too many good rounds out there today to pick just one. The 135 gr. Gold Dot is excellent. The 125 gr. JHP rounds were "THE" round when revolvers ruled at police departments. The Underwood Xtreme Defender with the 140 gr. bullet performs well in ballistic gelatin. Buffalo Bore has some very good looking rounds. You are not loosing much velocity with that barrel when compared to a 4" (maybe 50 fps).

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Full power, as in reloaded full power 357 s maybe a bit Stout after a day's shooting, but if you buy fiocchi or Winchester white box you should have no problem at all shooting it out of that Ruger especially the Fiocchi you they are pretty weak loaded but they call them magnums. The Winchester white box has pretty good recoil.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I don't know about the Speed Six, but I have a SP101 with a 3" barrel. I do carry 357 Mag in it, but I would say use what you are comfortable shooting out of it. If 357 Mag is going to make you flinch so much that you can't hit what you're aiming at, then it's doing you no good.

Top Bottom