• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield
    Looking for suggestions, I started reloading 6 months ago give or take and have loved everything about it. I have a Lee single stage setup that works great but now that I'm gaining confidence in myself and know I'm sticking with it i am ready to start piecing together a better set up. The first thing I want to change out is my Frankford digital scale, (also kinda have to as it provides incorrect readings now) I love the speed of using a digital scale, but have read on some of the balance scales that they have a devices to get them to settle faster, unlike my Lee safety scale. So here I am looking for advice or reviews from you guys on what scales I should be considering. I don't belive I have a use for one that has the powder drop built in, as I get pretty consistent drops from my lee dropper and hopefully soon I upgrade it also. Thanks for reading and I look forward to responses, pros and cons.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I been thinking the same thing. I have a Dillon Square Deal B with a bunch of extras and a Lee single stage that hardly sees any use. Would like to sell both outfits and get a Dillon 650.

Time to do a little shopping and price some things out.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I love the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 digital scale. Truly. You can buy it standalone without the powder drop, and then add the powder drop later if you want. It is fast, stable and accurate. I have a calibrated set of check weights from the scientific laboratory industry (serialized, certified, etc.) and I am amazed at how accurate my unit is. I always warm it up for 24 hours before using, which means sometimes it is left on for a week or more at a time, and I always calibrate it before using.

As far as a mechanical scale goes, I have the small RCBS 5-0-5, which I don't think they make any more. It is great as a double check to my Chargemaster, but I have to admit that it no longer gets any real use. Maybe after the Zombie Invasion and we are left without running water and electricity I will be glad that I have it, but otherwise, I see no reason to use anything else than the Chargemaster.

Natchez has them on sale for $129 just for the scale:

https://www.natchezss.com/rcbs-chargemaster-1500-scale.html

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Pistol? Rifle? High volume? High precision?
    I have an Amazon special AWS Gemini - 20 that's always within .0005 grams of the calibration weight. I don't know what 5 thousands of a gram equals in grains but as a high volume pistol loader I'm not all that concerned about it. If I'm within .05 of my intended powder throw I'm happy

I just looked it up, .0077 grains in .0005 grams

Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield
    Awesome I will look into those options, and at the moment its mostly for pistol and doing more volume, but I do have rifle dies but haven't really ventured into the precision world yet.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Awesome I will look into those options, and at the moment its mostly for pistol and doing more volume, but I do have rifle dies but haven't really ventured into the precision world yet.

If your not doing rifle work I wouldn't be that concerned with ultimate precision out of your scale.

For pistols and volume I would look hard at the chargemaster. Kill two birds with one stone

Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield

Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield
    OK sorry for the double post it was still sitting there and like an idiot I didn't look to see if it posted the first time I told it to. Also thanks for the advice it looks tempting and the powder drop feature may be a nice luxury compared to the one I have now. I assume it could still handle .223 when I'm comfortable enough to make the leap?

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You also might want to consider if you're going to move to a turret or progressive loader for your pistol loads. I'm running a Lee classic turret and am on the fence about moving up to a Dillion or some other progressive some time in the future. With my turret press I'm checking the powder throw 4-5 times per hundred rounds not 1 for 1. For my purposes it would be difficult to justify a high end scale.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    OK sorry for the double post it was still sitting there and like an idiot I didn't look to see if it posted the first time I told it to. Also thanks for the advice it looks tempting and the powder drop feature may be a nice luxury compared to the one I have now. I assume it could still handle .223 when I'm comfortable enough to make the leap?

If you want some help, just ask .....

I will help, in any way I can .....

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    When I decided to start doing pistol, sadly I started on a Lee single stage. I already had a good scale since I started reloading with rifle, but the scale didn't really speed things up much. I went to a progressive press and it was the best thing I ever did for pistol reloading. After reading you are wanting to do more volume, I would assume you are wanting to get it done faster... so my suggestion is actually to take the money from the scale upgrade and buy a progressive.

You can't beat a Dillon... but not everyone can afford one either. I ended up buying a Lee Pro 1000 with an auto drum powder measure and quite honestly I don't regret it at all. It's been the best $200 that I've spent on reloading equipment thus far.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    When I decided to start doing pistol, sadly I started on a Lee single stage. I already had a good scale since I started reloading with rifle, but the scale didn't really speed things up much. I went to a progressive press and it was the best thing I ever did for pistol reloading. After reading you are wanting to do more volume, I would assume you are wanting to get it done faster... so my suggestion is actually to take the money from the scale upgrade and buy a progressive.

You can't beat a Dillon... but not everyone can afford one either. I ended up buying a Lee Pro 1000 with an auto drum powder measure and quite honestly I don't regret it at all. It's been the best $200 that I've spent on reloading equipment thus far.

I would have to agree. My Chargemaster is only used for small batch load work ups. It is painfully slow although pretty accurate. Performed the McDonalds straw mod. I would never pay what they are asking for one. I waited until Cabelas had a sale coupled with a RCBS rebate then used some visa points I had. I think it came out to be 70 bucks out of pocket to my front door. For that price it was worth it. For low volume single stage loading it speeds things up a bit. I also use it to double check loads off the Dillon.

If you want to get things done its time for a progressive. For me anything new from this point on will be blue. My Dillon Square Deal has been great.

I too started on the now unused Lee single stage. Yuk! Its time for a Dillon 650 for me. I just need to offload my current gear and get one on order.

Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield
    So it seems collectively that the chargemaster or any other high dollar scale isn't necessary for me, how much do you guys recommend a fair amount? Frankford arsenal has one for around 70 dollars or do I spend around 100 for a balance scale and start saving for that Dillon 550 I have my eyes set on?

Motomechanic45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2016
    Plainfield
    Imy not exactly sure, I do like the ease of a digital scale but didn't have luck with a 20 dollar Frankford arsenal. It lastes about 6 months my boss also bought that same scale around the same time and has also started giving false readings. That being said I don't mind spending some money, but would like something that will last a good while.u

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    So it seems collectively that the chargemaster or any other high dollar scale isn't necessary for me, how much do you guys recommend a fair amount? Frankford arsenal has one for around 70 dollars or do I spend around 100 for a balance scale and start saving for that Dillon 550 I have my eyes set on?

You can get a good digital scale for under $100. I use an older RCBS Rangemaster 750 that has worked great. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...onic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity-110-volt Although at the time I paid close to $100, you can now grab it on Midway for $45 before shipping.

Still though, if you already have a scale that is accurate and have your eyes set on a progressive press, put it towards the press. Once you have your powder measure dialed in, you won't be measuring much. It's your money so spend it how you wish, but you won't regret getting the progressive and maybe taking that extra $50-100 towards some accessories for it or more components.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    You said you need a scale.....
    For that price I'd grab the RCBS 750 ckcollins2003 linked.
    Have one myself and it's been great.

Top Bottom