• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Just wanted to all a heads up that ACT will be at Deer Creek CC either 14OCT or 15OCT, more when I get the final say from their BoD.

The class will be the full day Defensive Rifle 101 class.

Just confirmed.

Date: 7OCT17
    Time: 0900 - 1600 ish
    Cost: $165 (non members will need to pay a $10 range fee to the club)

johnvviray@gmail.com

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I am very interested.

Any additional info would be appreciated as well. I have yet to take a carbine course. Would like to bring my HD rifle and maybe a couple other variants to see which would be best suited.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I.m still waiting on some of the details. Below is a brief on the DR101 class. The round count is quite generous, we intend to make every round
    I'm still waiting on some of the details, but a brief on the class is below:
    The cost of the class will be $165 for the day, non Deer Creek members will need to pay a $10 range fee.
    The class will start at 0900 and go until ap 1600 or later.
    More details when I'm made aware.

This class is intended for individuals who keep a rifle for potential defensive use. Most civilian defense situations will occur at relatively close range (less than 50 yards) and the dynamics of close quarters use of the rifle differ considerably from longer range engagements. Any fully-functional, centerfire repeating rifle or carbine will suffice for this class, but a self-loader is recommended.

TO

Some of the topics addressed include:

• SAFETY! SAFETY! SAFETY!
    • Attitude and the commitment to protect yourself and those in your care
    • Stopping threats and how to do it more efficiently; ammunition selection
    • Configuring the rifle and related gear for your own needs
    • Zeroing the rifle
    • Basic operations & manipulations; reloading; malfunctions; other gun handling
    • Features and controls of the AR-15 and AK rifles
    • Basic marksmanship
    • Stance; ready positions & presentation; other positions
    • Engaging single and multiple threat targets
    • Movement

EQUIPMENT LIST:

REQUIRED ITEMS:

• Eye protection
    • Hearing protection (suitable for use with rifle)
    • Rifle - repeater; must function reliably with your ammunition
    • Lubricant suitable for rifle (FP-10, WeaponShield, CLP, Slip-2000, etc.)
    • Magazines - Five (5) minimum; more is better
    • Magazine carrier on body (for at least one or two spare mags)
    • Sling - either a tactical sling or a simple carry strap
    • Ammunition - 500 rounds (generous estimate)

RECOMMENDED ITEMS:

• Clothing appropriate for season, including hat with brim and rain gear
    • Comfort items (sunscreen, insect repellant, over the counter pain reliever, etc.)
    • Shooting mat, knee pads, elbow pads, gloves
    • Cleaning kit
    • snacks and beverages

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Sounds great. I am in. How does payment work, once the board agrees? Do I send it to you, Jason or just keep it until the day of?

I am looking forward to a class like this, especially with it being close. Hope it all works out and we can get the minimum number of people.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    See the original post for more details, date has changed.

For registration, send me an email and i will send you the forms. Just submit a deposit of half or full payment when you send in the forms.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A great opportunity for rifle training. ACT outside of the West Central location. Get signed up.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    A question has been raised concerning the prerequisite of a previous class. Please contact me directly, either pm or email, and we can figure this out. If you can safely handle your rifle and hit a 6" square on demand from 15 yards, you will be fine in this class.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Just wanted to remind all signed up for this class. ACT trains rain or shine. Please come prepared for the weather. Bring a chair. Bring snacks and drinks, I will have some bottled water. Any last minute questions, do not hesitate to shoot me an email or a PM.

courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    The class was great. It was my first opportunity practicing malfunction clearing and reloading on the move. It showed me I had lots of room to improve and practice after the fact.

John was a patient and positive instructor. I will be keeping my eye out for anymore of their classes.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thank you, C6. Great bunch of students, beautiful weather. It was a bit windy. Looking forward to training at Deer Creek again in the new future!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    This was my first rifle class. Like many gun people that I know, I do not use the rifle much. Even though it is my primary HD weapon.

I was very pleased to see that Jason got this class arranged at Deer Creek. Super close for me, which made it easier. I was ready for anything...

I had spent a little time at the range the week before hearing what the class was like and trying to run a couple drills that were new to me. I made sure that I had food, plenty of water, ears, eyes, blow out kit and rain gear. I took 24 loaded mags and an additional supply of loose ammo. I took a spare rifle and an additional BCG, just in case. I took my pistol and had 12 loaded mags for it.

What I wasn't ready for was getting sick. I felt like crap starting at about 0930 and lasting until well... possibly this morning.

Started the class with a lecture. Background on John, ACT and the safety rules. Then a little more in depth on certain things to expect and how to deal with some of the unexpected.

Went out to the range and started by checking the offset of our sights. This helped me a lot throughout the day as I knew where I should set my dot at for the hit I needed. After a while I admit to just pointing in the general direction and popping rounds. Not the best for honing skills, but I got through it.

Ran some up drills with a little talk mixed in between. Ran some malfunction drills as well. That was an eye opener... trying to stay on the move while doing all the rest.

Time was taken for each shooter so John could critique the work performed. Also had the rest of the class, in a nice way, tell what they saw right or wrong. Jason and Jackson were both very good with the assist in the conversations. Adding to what John said in different ways really helped. The fact that they have taken the class before also helped as they would run thru (sometimes actually running) each scenario so the rest of the class could see how it was done so to speak.

It was a small class, so everyone got to run individually as many times as they wanted. There was no push to get to the next thing, but there was also not a lot of lag time.

There were some malfunctions that were not planned for. I had a round get stuck over the bolt... got it taken care of and the rest of the time my rig ran fine. In hindsight I call this my biggest mistake in the class. Even though it was not a class that dealt with transitioning from rifle to pistol, I was out of the fight. I should have dropped the rifle and finished the round with my sidearm.

I blame not doing this on lack of experience and not feeling up to snuff. It was covered by another student, before my problem, so I knew the option was there. I was not chastised for this, but maybe I should have been advised as to the options that I had. Instead I just tried to fix the rifle and stopped all else. This would not be advisable for real world scenarios...

All in all I really enjoyed the class. I have taken a few classes in the past, and they always involved a bit of travel. Not to make the lame excuse of never having the time, but this was so much easier for me to work around.

John said he would be more than happy to make a return trip to Grant County for additional classes. I look forward to that very much. I also know that when he has other classes on his home turf I will feel better about trying to schedule for those.

Thanks to all who participated. It was a safe and fun environment to learn in.

Top Bottom