• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    I've read as best I can comprehend on the net, have a print out from Purdue Ag and I watch YouTube videos as long as I can stand it but am now looking for feedback on growing concord grapes.

Its our third summer on our little property and the pear tree and apple trees have been brought back to life with larger harvests each of the last two summers, which has been a nice confidence builder. But I want to harvest grapes on the vines that were on the property as well as what I've planted.

I have incredible vine growth and big beautiful leaves but no fruit. Can someone point me in the right direction?

All vines are spaced about 30" apart. Rows are four feet apart. I have one row planted east-west and two rows planted north-south. Thank you.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I grow Frontenac grapes here in the GSF, good vines, biggest issues are deer,raccoons, turkeys and black rot. Black rot you take care of by pruning, clean up of the ground underneath the vines, and liberal applications of Mancoweb fungicide. With the critters, it's either shoot or fence.

I've done pretty well making wine from these grapes, but I'll have to clear more ground to plant any more.

30 inches and 4' sounds close for spacing, mine are 8'X8'.

Are you seeing flowers in the spring at all? Black rot starts being a problem as soon as the vines leaf out.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    I grow Frontenac grapes here in the GSF, good vines, biggest issues are deer,raccoons, turkeys and black rot. Black rot you take care of by pruning, clean up of the ground underneath the vines, and liberal applications of Mancoweb fungicide. With the critters, it's either shoot or fence.

I've done pretty well making wine from these grapes, but I'll have to clear more ground to plant any more.

30 inches and 4' sounds close for spacing, mine are 8'X8'.

Are you seeing flowers in the spring at all? Black rot starts being a problem as soon as the vines leaf out.

I appreciate your feedback. I'm looking to press these for juice to can. I read a lot of 8'x8' and a lot of stuff said that's best for commercial growing but for small service ups 3'x4' could accommodate.

The area is fenced which is why I had to squeeze them in. I prune and have had some flowering but not a significant amount and I know I need flowers for fruit. Thanks so much for responding.

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    Leadeye-thanks for the info! I got beat up by black rot this year. I sprayed but what I sprayed didn't stop it. I will try the Mancoweb!
    I am trying Concord and Niagra. I am thinking about swapping out the Niagra. Perhaps I will go with Frontenac. I need to research what might grow best here.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Don't water them too much. I quit watering mine and had an explosion of fruit.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Leadeye-thanks for the info! I got beat up by black rot this year. I sprayed but what I sprayed didn't stop it. I will try the Mancoweb!
    I am trying Concord and Niagra. I am thinking about swapping out the Niagra. Perhaps I will go with Frontenac. I need to research what might grow best here.

Black rot was worse this year than I've ever seen it. Frontenac is a great cold weather grape so you don't get wiped out if there's a bad winter.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My concord's were planted at the end of our leech field. We also have sandy soil. When we first moved in 5 yrs ago the neighbor said the grapes weren't so good. Every year since us living there the yields have gotten bigger and bigger. We only have one row. It was planted well before myself or the neighbors moved in. I messed up this year and didn't get any grapes as they all dropped before I could get to it. Last year we ended up with close to 30 lbs ourselves and the neighbor had a good 10 lbs. By the looks of the grapes before they dropped we probably could of gotten another 40+.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You must have zero raccoon population where you live, they start in on grapes as soon as they start to ripen here.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    My concord's were planted at the end of our leech field. We also have sandy soil. When we first moved in 5 yrs ago the neighbor said the grapes weren't so good. Every year since us living there the yields have gotten bigger and bigger. We only have one row. It was planted well before myself or the neighbors moved in. I messed up this year and didn't get any grapes as they all dropped before I could get to it. Last year we ended up with close to 30 lbs ourselves and the neighbor had a good 10 lbs. By the looks of the grapes before they dropped we probably could of gotten another 40+.

Do you have any special processes you implement between November and May?

What have you done to make your yields bigger and bigger?

Thank you 1775.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You must have zero raccoon population where you live, they start in on grapes as soon as they start to ripen here.
    We have coons and possums,turkeys, and deer, but we also have a dog. Never had a problem with animals messing with our grapes.
    Do you have any special processes you implement between November and May?

What have you done to make your yields bigger and bigger?

Thank you 1775.

Honestly not much. Since our leech field from our septic ends at the grapes I say they get a good dose of what we've been brewing inside, as well as the normal grass fertilizer. My wife and the neighbor next door do some pruning, but I think these grapes have been around for close to 20yrs, so I think we are reaching max yield. Our 1 row runs about 25ft long.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I haven't grown any personally, but my uncle used to.

Well drained soil. Full sun. Proper pruning. - The pruning is the key as I remember.

Read up on proper pruning and start this late winter/early spring when the vines are still dormant.

That would be my armchair suggestion.

Top Bottom