• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Looking at a Ruger SR1911 LW Commander in 9mm. Would like opinions and anyone's experience with this hand gun, good or bad. Not real familiar with the 1911 platform.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I picked one up last Fall after they had been out a few months, and LOVE it. It's one of my favorites, and pretty rare that it doesn't go into the range bag on every trip. Sights were dead-on POA = POI right out of the box, and the trigger was really nice and crisp as well. I did change a couple things, such as swapping out the rubber grips (which are just fine BTW) for wood. I also changed out the somewhat sluggish stock 10# recoil spring for a 14# spring, which cured what felt like a lazy slide action. No malfunctions, and the trigger keeps getting better and better. Plenty accurate too, and for the price, it's fun to plink with, barely any recoil, and never fails to make anyone who shoots it grin. Definitely one of my favorite purchases over the last couple years.

I've thought about going down to a 12# recoil spring, as very very rarely I get an occasional failure to lock the slide back on the last round. But so far, it's so infrequent (could even be one particular magazine) that I think I'm going to leave the 14# spring in place. FWIW, the factory 10# spring works fine, but as mentioned earlier, gave sort of a sluggish, lazy feeling action when the slide cycled.

I completely recommend this purchase, I don't think you will be disappointed at all!

3YpKOcs.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Thanks Chris

Thanks ChrisK and Hopper for the info. Great to get your hands on experience with the Ruger. It looks like a well made handgun and should do well for me. Hopefully I will find out in the near future, thanks again.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    9mm 1911s are a whole lot of fun to shoot. I don't know that I'd carry one, but for a fun day at the range, it's hard to find fault in an inexpensive 1911 to run.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have one and love it. Shoots great. I like the slide because it is easy to rack it. I was going to change the grips with some G10s but one of the screws is stripped and I'm too lazy to get it out. The original ones work great anyway.

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Thank you 357Terms, 88E30M50, sharpetop and Osprey for your info. Will use it all to make a good decision. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom