• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Who else carries at least one lighter on them all the time, even if you don't smoke?

Who carries a Zippo?

I always have at least one lighter on me for emergencies. For daily use, I use them mostly for singing the ends of paracord and other cordage when I'm makin' stuff.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I am not a smokier. I keep a mini bic, with a piece of bike inner tube wrapped around it, in my Dopp kit, my GO Bag & travel bag and in my backpacks. I carried a Zippo in my front pocket the Army, but got the occasional rash on my leg from the fluid leaking out. If you want a windproof lighter for the field, the modern "Torches" are better than the old zippo. But flicking the old zippo open is kind of cool...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I carry a mini Bic lighter in my pocket (I mostly use it to burn threads off clothes, paracord etc).

I have another spare Bic in my EDC first aid kit.

I used to carry a Zippo.

Are Bic lighters sold in the US made in the US?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I always carry a bic and have to answer why I carry one since I don't smoke all the time. Amazing how handy they can be.

Me too! We've come a long way from survival as part of live when people question us for carrying a tool to make fire all the time even if we don't smoke!

I am not a smokier. I keep a mini bic, with a piece of bike inner tube wrapped around it, in my Dopp kit, my GO Bag & travel bag and in my backpacks. I carried a Zippo in my front pocket the Army, but got the occasional rash on my leg from the fluid leaking out. If you want a windproof lighter for the field, the modern "Torches" are better than the old zippo. But flicking the old zippo open is kind of cool...

I realized after I posted this topic that the Zippo is an ancestor of the "fidget spinner." I've annoyed more than one person with a lengthy series of open, light, close, open, light, close . . .

I carry a mini Bic lighter in my pocket (I mostly use it to burn threads off clothes, paracord etc).

I have another spare Bic in my EDC first aid kit.

I used to carry a Zippo.

Are Bic lighters sold in the US made in the US?

The package I have in my desk says "Made in France"!! Thanks for the lighters, Sylvain!

I try to carry as many mini-bics as rhino carries flashlights. :):

Hahah! Good man!

I carry both....Love my Zippo...

Belt and suspenders!

I always have a few mini Bics on me and in my pack. On some of them I have some duct tape wrapped around it. Tape is always handy, plus frayed, burning duct tape is an excellent fire starter!

I carry a Zippo sometimes. It's more fun to use and easier to use, especially when it's windy. The downside is filling it frequently.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The package I have in my desk says "Made in France"!! Thanks for the lighters, Sylvain!

You're welcome. :)

Bic is a huge brand in France.

They have a huge factory in France where they make millions of lighters (and pencils) but I know they also have a factory in the US so I assumed the ones sold in the US were made in the US.

They make them with some awesome patriotic designs.

s-l1000.jpg

During the Tour de France they throw their products at people on the side on the road. :rockwoot:
    Free pens and lighters! Not sure if they throw razors too.

2014_Tour_de_France._Caravane_BIC._Free_image_Spielvogel._Zero_copyright.jpg

Bic-Briquet-2013.jpg

They don't throw ladies though.

P1100917.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I stopped carrying a Zippo when I quit cigarettes about 15 years ago. I do break it out for occasional cigar.

I keep a couple of Bic lighters stashed in the car and the get home bag, but don't generally carry one as part of my EDC.

Just in case anyone isn't familiar with using a Zippo, don't stash one in an emergency bag unless you carry a can of lighter fluid too. It's going to be bone dry when you need it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got a couple Zippos. That said, I started carrying my Xikar Axia torch lighter all the time. Zippos run dry just about every week or 2 because they don't have any sort of good seal and the fuel evaporates.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Not a smoker but always carry a BIC Lighter. I don't use it daily but at least 2 times a week. I also carry a pack of them in my BOB along with Flint and Steele.

5A1E3420-77BD-426D-A6FD-D055C7D96C0C_zpscmxzneps.jpg

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've never smoked but I have a couple Zippos. They're nice to have but need to have a bottle of fluid handy. I don't carry any form of fire but I can't say I haven't needed it while out and about.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Being an HVAC guy I have fire sources at hand. Never know when you will need it.
    Long nose stove lighter in my kit. Propane auto lite as well.

BOkit has several sources.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Being an HVAC guy I have fire sources at hand. Never know when you will need it.
    Long nose stove lighter in my kit. Propane auto lite as well.

BOkit has several sources.

You're probably still using the fire techniques that came up during your youth. :D

81a9d0pNfcL._SX355_.jpg

I think before that you had to wait for thunder to strike somewhere.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey....easy French guy. Indiucky and I knew the guy that invented that rig.....:)

Didn't you graduate with that guy's grandfather?

Heh heh heh

:patriot:

I like the "We the people" one.Not sure what's the design on the back.

That is sweet!

For you guys who carry small, refillable butane torches/lighters: what are some make and models that actually work and are durable? I have not had good luck with propane lighters/torches. Keeping Mr. Zippo fed can be tedious, but they're incredibly reliable.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I used to carry a small disposable lighter in my pocket, even though I've never smoked. Handy to have. Saying "Yes" when someone asks for a light is a good icebreaker, too.

Now, I just have one in my go-bag. Got one of those little plastic sealed cases for it. Has a full load of fuel 2 years later. Used it the other day to start the fire pit.

Top Bottom