• ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    What is the prevailing INGO wisdom on youth deer season this weekend? Weather is forecast to be hot 89/64 89/62...

We've seen movement in the cams a couple weeks ago but now not so much.

Thanks for any insight or old farmers almanac input.

B&G.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Id be sitting over a food plot or a white oak tree in the am and pm, and if you are brave enough to sit mid day, find a water source. Just my .02. I'm no great white hunter :)

Don't forget your thermacell

Good luck to your little one!

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Taking my son out. Will hunt the first 2 hours of light and then get back on stand about 6pm. We've been seeing deer movement early and then just before dark.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Taking my son out. Will hunt the first 2 hours of light and then get back on stand about 6pm. We've been seeing deer movement early and then just before dark.

Thats sort of our plan. If we get one down we plan to field dress quickly then pack in ice while we get to the processor.

Thanks.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Bad thing with these temps is gotta get em gutted and processed quickly....very quickly!

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    If we get one my plan is to field dress it, skin it immediately back at the barn on the farm we are hunting, quarter it and then put the quarters in a big ice chest. Doesn't take more than 30 minutes and I want my son to see the entire field to table experience.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Good luck. Being with my step son when he got his first was a treat for me. As said earlier, find food and/or water. If you are lucky to have both, you might be in a hot spot, no pun intended!!

rransford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2016
    Elwood
    Sorry to hear about this weekend. It was quite warm for much movement at all. I am definitely looking forward to the day I can take my kids out. Good luck to the rest of the season. I know I am looking forward to some meat in the freezer this year.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    The guys I work with took their kids out. One of the boys got a doe that walked up and laid down right under their stand. They also filmed a pig walking through the soybean field and along the trail.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    My son took his first deer Saturday evening up in Noble County. Small little doe but he was besides himself with excitement. He worked hard all spring and summer becoming proficient with his Ruger 77/44 (I actually bought used from an INGO member and had a custom stock made for it)

Had to race to get it skinned, quartered, and in ice. Hottest I can ever remember working on a deer in my life.

B346B813-604A-418A-9275-03797E4DB761-11227-00000A6117EB72F8.jpeg

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    My son took his first deer Saturday evening up in Noble County. Small little doe but he was besides himself with excitement. He worked hard all spring and summer becoming proficient with his Ruger 77/44 (I actually bought used from an INGO member and had a custom stock made for it)

Had to race to get it skinned, quartered, and in ice. Hottest I can ever remember working on a deer in my life.

Outstanding!!! You have to love those grins!

:ingo:

Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    Well, we tried! Lasted almost 3 hours in the stand. Bugs got to be a little too much. Enjoyed every minute of it though!

Attachments

• IMG_3551.JPG
      IMG_3551.JPG
      562.4 KB · Views: 10

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Well, we tried! Lasted almost 3 hours in the stand. Bugs got to be a little too much. Enjoyed every minute of it though!

Get a thermacell and a holster for it. I started using them when bowhunting down in southern Georgia and they absolutely work. Deer don't seem too bothered by the smell they out off either. In fact I was using one last weekend with my son when he shot his deer pictured above. Invaluable when bugs are bad while out of doors.

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    My son killed a nice Doe minutes into Saturday. he was fired up had her in the freezer and the yard mowed by 1:00PM! Awesome Day!!!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    He worked hard all spring and summer becoming proficient with his Ruger 77/44...

:thumbsup:

I'm guessing he now knows what a benefit all that practice was, but keeping making a point of it. The kid made the shot when he had to make the shot, and that's not an easy thing.

Congrats!

-Nate

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    :thumbsup:

I'm guessing he now knows what a benefit all that practice was, but keeping making a point of it. The kid made the shot when he had to make the shot, and that's not an easy thing.

Congrats!

-Nate

Thank you sir. We made it fun all year long. Every time our family would finish up with a large plastic bottle, a laundery detergent bottle, milk jug, etc we would save it for practice. Fill those suckers up and let him blast them from 30 to 75 yards as well as some time punching paper. I told him if he can hit the bottles every time out then he's ready for the real thing. He was indeed ready.

Top Bottom