• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm in a delema. I went to the range yesterday with my AK, and was reminded why I don't like shooting it. I love the AK platform, but it just beats me up. It was my first gun, and I love having it, I just don't enjoy shooting it.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Love the gun, but hate shooting it. Have you ever held on to gun that you didn't enjoy shooting?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes, my grandfathers mule kicking O/U. I hated that gun, but it passed on to me. Sentimental value (like first gun) and practicality ("here's one for you too, comrade") are reasons enough to keep an unloved firearm.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    It being your first gun might be the reason to hang onto it. It must be special to you as it was your first gun and you have kept it, even though you dont like to shoot it. I have had guns that I did not like for one reason or another. Usually, unless it has sentimental value, I will just sell it and use the money for something that I would enjoy owning and shooting.:twocents:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Guns are inanimate objects and have no sentimental value to me.
    One school of thought is never get rid of any gun you acquire.
    I am NOT of that thinking.
    I've got rid of a few guns that are uncomfortable to shoot. I'm not a collector or hoarder.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have no qualms about getting rid of a gun I don't like to shoot. I have two sentimental guns, everything else has a price. I have sold a few I look back and wish I would have kept, but I wouldn't have the guns I really like to shoot that I have now. I usually regret selling nice optics more than anything, and I don't think I'll be making that mistake again. I hate getting a new gun and having to wait on glass to use it.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I'm in a delema. I went to the range yesterday with my AK, and was reminded why I don't like shooting it. I love the AK platform, but it just beats me up. It was my first gun, and I love having it, I just don't enjoy shooting it.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Love the gun, but hate shooting it. Have you ever held on to gun that you didn't enjoy shooting?

If recoil is "beating you up" you could add a slip-on recoil pad or something like PAST Recoil shield to reduce recoil you feel.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've got rid of a few guns that are uncomfortable to shoot. I'm not a collector or hoarder.

The sentimentality is not in the wood and steel, it is the memories that holding that wood and steel sparks. I do not believe in hoarding, and I'm the kind of guy that cleared out his grandpa's house without regrets, but I do have fond memories that come back when I pick up that old Remington he gave me. The object only serves as a totem that makes my aging brain recall. I'm really glad he didn't buy me sh*& guns tho, cause I would have sold them quick, lol.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

But you do recognize that inanimate objects, to most people, hold sentimental value, right? It's not a question of what the item "is," but rather what meaning it holds for you.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    If I don't like shooting it, it's on the block. That's not to say I don't have guns which aren't shot often (whoa, triple negative) but some get more love than others.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I never saw any sentimental value on a gun that I bought regardless how much of a love / hate feeling I had about the gun. I have regretted selling a few at times. Only gun in my safe with sentimental value to me is my first gun that happened to be a gift from my parents. That gun has a life long contract with me in large part because of the memories that were made with it. Likewise my dad inherited a Remington model 10A that was my grandfathers. First shotgun dad, my uncle, my brother and I ever shot. That gun rarely comes out of the safe but it won't leave the family.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    But you do recognize that inanimate objects, to most people, hold sentimental value, right? It's not a question of what the item "is," but rather what meaning it holds for you.

Sure. I have "preferable" possessions.
    Weapons are tools. I have preferable weapons as well. I also have hand tools I like a lot
    What meaning do they hold for me? Not much at all compared to the animate people and/or loved ones in my life.
    Inanimate objects can most likely be replaced if something happens to them.
    Animate objects AKA loved ones or even just people can't be replaced.
    I've lost sentimental items in my life. I recently replaced an old rifle that was lost forever.
    I lost the love of my life in '86. Yes, I understand the difference and meaning.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Being your first gun, I see your connection to it. That would be a tough decision. I've only had one gun I didn't like to shoot and it wasn't anything sentimental. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I had the same dilemma with an AK. I tried it in a class and it wasn't as fun as my AR. I sold it a few months later.

Now I want another.

I wouldn't sell it.

When it comes to other guns like bolt actions or pistols I let them go if I don't like them or use them. I'm not ready to be a collector yet.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    If I don't like shooting it, it's on the block. That's not to say I don't have guns which aren't shot often (whoa, triple negative) but some get more love than others.

I have a Jennings 380acp and it sucks, yet I've had it for over 30 years. Why? Training. It has bad sights, is brutal to shoot, and small for my large hands and yet it helps my in training to be a better shooter so I'll keep it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I have a different view of firearms. I enjoy collecting (some would call it hoarding, I don't give a shXX). I don't sell or otherwise dispose any firearm I acquire, period!

First, my son and I collect firearms and I will pass on the firearms to my sons. Second, firearms have been proven to me to be one of, if not the very best investment I have ever made. I don't have one firearm that can not be sold for quite a bit more than my purchase price. Many have doubled in value in less than 10 years. Some have increased even more. I don't purchase a firearm unless I can afford to do so without interfering with the purchase of other items my wife and I may need or want. They don't eat anything, are easily stored in gun safes (which I may have to purchase another soon) and none have depreciated in value.

Third, if a SHTF situation actually occurs, I believe any usable firearm will be literally worth its weight in gold, and I or my sons will be able to trade a firearm and ammo for just about anything needed, as well as the fact the firearms will provide a method of protecting the family and necessary items.

Forth, Sons and I really enjoy shooting our firearms, we have calibers ranging from 22 LR to 50 BMG and ammo for all. In my opinion target shooting with my family, sons and DIL's all enjoy the sport, is far more enjoyable to than any other sport, and we do enjoy shooting several old handguns and rifles as well as our newer firearms. Youngest son is currently working on installing a range on his rural property so we can shoot about 100 yd with a backstop that will absorb the 50 BMG.

I have sold or traded possibly 3 to 5 firearms in my 50 years of collecting! I regretted all but one, and replaced almost all of them with the same model. We also collect (hoard) ammo and reloading supplies, purchasing in bulk when on sale, again none has lost value, most has greatly increased (I have several thousand primers I purchased for less than $10/M).

Nope, I will not sell one firearm to purchase a different one, I will instead wait till I can afford to purchase another!

Lanternman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2017
    East Central
    Even the ones you don't like are good investments. It all depends on whether you have the cash or the patience to purchase the next one you do like without trading that one.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember any gun I regret buying. I do remember more than a few I regret selling. Including one I didn't like shooting, but had sentimental value.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    For me, I would never sell my first firearm. You may not regret it today, tomorrow, or in a few years, but one day you will want that rifle. Everyone remembers their first regardless of it is good or bad!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There's guns that aren't pleasant to shoot because of recoil that I bought when I was much younger, doesn't mean I don't still like them. Making your own ammo can sometimes be a solution to that problem.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I don't hang on to anything material. Everything is for sale all the time. I try to stay in the new as much as I can. I horse trade all the time. As long as it's in my favor I am happy.

My dad and gramps guns all got gone. Junk blued steel and wood. Hard to maintain and kick like hell rifles and shotguns. My rule is if it hasn't been used in a year it's time to move it. I hate stuff sitting around.

Sell it and buy some ammo/mags for your favorite shooter.

Top Bottom