• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    As a revolver and 'glock' guy...I really don't mess around all that much with other manufacturer's designs (except a few Sigs and HK's) but I had an opportunity to shoot a co-worker's S&W Shield 9mm yesterday and was quite impressed with it's handling (aka 'fit-n-feel') in my small grip...it's design shape was comfortable...and. most-importantly, it's accuracy...which was 1 ragged hole at 15' with 7 of the first 8 shots (I did drop the first 1 below the 'X' about 2") but the next 7 shots were just to the left of the 'X' in between the '9' and '8' on the round target. For such a short-barreled pistol, I was quite impressed with it's accuracy. It was new to him and, after the sights were adjusted a small bit, the accuracy to the 'X' was quite impressive and repetative.

However, being a 'revolver' guy...and mainly a '.45' guy, when it come to sem-autos with the Glock 30 SF and Glock 36 (my EDC) are my two favorites, I'm wondering how much difference (I understand there's some design and size differences between the Shield 9mm and .40 vs the Shield in .45 acp) there really is? I'm heading back out today to see if I can find a Shield in .45 acp and, possibly, procure one?

I know that the largest magazine for the Shield .45 is a 7-round magazine and that it's a bit wider than the 9mm....but is it that much bigger?

Does anyone own a Shield in .45 acp? Has anyone shot one? Does anyone have any specific concerns regarding the Shield in .45 acp...jamming issues...feed issues...certain ammo not digested well...etc.?

What are your thoughts regarding a Shield in .45 acp...handling...accuracy...etc.?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As a revolver and 'glock' guy...I really don't mess around all that much with other manufacturer's designs (except a few Sigs and HK's) but I had an opportunity to shoot a co-worker's S&W Shield 9mm yesterday and was quite impressed with it's handling (aka 'fit-n-feel') in my small grip...it's design shape was comfortable...and. most-importantly, it's accuracy...which was 1 ragged hole at 15' with 7 of the first 8 shots (I did drop the first 1 below the 'X' about 2") but the next 7 shots were just to the left of the 'X' in between the '9' and '8' on the round target. For such a short-barreled pistol, I was quite impressed with it's accuracy. It was new to him and, after the sights were adjusted a small bit, the accuracy to the 'X' was quite impressive and repetative.

However, being a 'revolver' guy...and mainly a '.45' guy, when it come to sem-autos with the Glock 30 SF and Glock 36 (my EDC) are my two favorites, I'm wondering how much difference (I understand there's some design and size differences between the Shield 9mm and .40 vs the Shield in .45 acp) there really is? I'm heading back out today to see if I can find a Shield in .45 acp and, possibly, procure one?

I know that the largest magazine for the Shield .45 is a 7-round magazine and that it's a bit wider than the 9mm....but is it that much bigger?

Does anyone own a Shield in .45 acp? Has anyone shot one? Does anyone have any specific concerns regarding the Shield in .45 acp...jamming issues...feed issues...certain ammo not digested well...etc.?

What are your thoughts regarding a Shield in .45 acp...handling...accuracy...etc.?
    I have one. No jams or feeding issues here. It is just as good as the 9. Accuracy is better than expected with such a small pistol. The recoil is manageable but obviously a bit more robust than the 9mm.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I held a Shield in .45 acp today...it felt good!

I also held an M&P .45 2.0...with the 4.5" barrel...and it felt really good too!

The biggest functional difference I discovered was they went from the 'flexible' (metal bar/rod that flipped forward when you removed the slide) ejector to a 'fixed' mounted post (like a Glock's) which reduces the risk of malfunction...which would most-likely occur when you really needed it.

Game changer...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought one just today around 4 pm and went straight to the range with it: great.
    I'm going to go now a start a thread about it.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I have the 45 Shield...no complaints. It is easier to shoot than I thought...about 100 more rounds and I carry it.....a S&W deal now 2xtra mags and some more stuff. About 375 or less.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have one as well and have been very impressed with it. It is easy to shoot well and functions perfectly so far. In terms of recoil, it is not bad at all. Most people that can handle a full size polymer .45 should be able to handle the Shield .45 without much difficulty, IMO.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just saw and commented on your post!

I'm hoping I can find a good deal for one as well.

Congrats!

There was another Shield 45 in Armslist on Sunday when I bought this one for $325 w/$100 of ammo.

It was $350 with 2 holsters and maybe something else (extra mag?), but since I didn't need the holsters, I went for the one I bought.

I'll keep my eye out, but here and Armslist are the only 2 places I deal with.

Top Bottom