• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I was just reading the American Rifleman review of the Remington R51.
    They show an average of 1.16" for 5 consecutive 5 shot groups @ 25 yds with 3 different brands of ammo.
    What do you guys think, is this BS or what ?
    If it is true than that would be better than any other 9mm I have.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Looked up the add. It gets my interest. If it really does have reduces muzzle flip compared to others then that could be possible.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Maybe they used a 'ransom rest'? 1"@25yds is what Wilson Combat guarantees their full size 1911s to shoot.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I read that article and was thinking the same thing. Either way, they give the gun glowing marks for being a light, accurate and easy to shoot 9mm pistol. I was enthusiastic about them when they first came out, but then was really sad to hear how badly the initial launch was botched. I hope that they did figure out what was wrong and that it works out well for them in the end. Every manufacturer that tries something new only to screw it up make it much harder for other new designs to get into production. Granted, it's not really that new of a design, but they did take a risk on this and for the sake of the gun industry, I hope it pays off for them. I'd hate to have the next 25 years of handgun design fall down to just being new 1911 configurations and different grip textures on Glocks. Life is more interesting with a variety of handguns to enjoy.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The Gen2s are much better than what I've heard of the Gen1s but are still a little finicky. Some run great some take a little tweaking before they run fine. The concept of the action isn't new but it was also only used once before with limited success. The principle is the same as the old model 51 but it's an entirely new design.

And yes, once you get over the combat sight pic (aim high) they are quite accurate with the fixed barrel. It isn't so much that it recoils less than any gun, just less than most guns it's size. The recoil's on-par with a tilt-barrel locking action gun twice it's size.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It's in a gun magazine. The only question is whether it's negligence or an intentional mislead.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    The American Rifleman accuracy tests are about the only ones that I trust. Thats why I wonder if it is a typo.
    I think most are BS. One mag. had a review of a varmint rifle that used 2 shot groups for crying out loud.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's in a gun magazine. The only question is whether it's negligence or an intentional mislead.

Didn't the magazines love the 1st Gen, too? The one that was complete trash that wouldn't run?

It strikes me that perhaps the demo guns sent to influencers are not straight off the line at random...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    After rereading the article, it talks about shooting by saying that it's 'accuracy was quite good at personal-defense distances'. Quite good at personal defense distances is not 1" groups at 25 yards. Hopefully, it was just a typo. BTW, they also say that as it was delivered to them, the Gen 2 R51 did not work and had to go back to Remington, who replaced the mags. After that, it was fine.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ok. I guess I missed it. Look at the red bar across the top of the chart. 7 yards.

amo6vAi.jpg

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    No, they botched the explanation. The top bar on the chart just says (7 yards) the explanation below says "Accuracy results are from five 5-shot groups @ 25 yards from a sandbag".

1" groups @ 7yds is no big deal even freehand, 1" @ 25yds, even from a sandbag, is certainly noteworthy. I'm not good enough to bother measuring but anecdotally, I found it to be just as good or slightly better groups than many of my pistols.

Point of clarification, the article says he contacted Remington and they sent new mags, not that he sent the gun in and they sent it back with new mags. I had a similar problem (occasional nosediving) and bent a little tab on the mag straight up instead of tipped toward the rounds, catching them. not uncommon problem and fix on the rem forums.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had a chance to handle one yesterday and am thinking that I might pick one up one of these days. If for no other reason than to have something different in the collection other than the different flavors of 1911, CZ and Glock.

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    I bought one during the black Friday $100 rebate, which I'm still waiting for. Couldn't resist the price. Dealer was skeptical of me ordering one, but I just had to find out for myself. Love the look, feel, and size. The trigger has some side to side play and seems cheaply made, but the trigger pull is nice. Haven't had any range time with it yet, but when I do I'll post back. Didn't buy it to carry, just wanted different toy.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I bought one during the black Friday $100 rebate, which I'm still waiting for. Couldn't resist the price. Dealer was skeptical of me ordering one, but I just had to find out for myself. Love the look, feel, and size. The trigger has some side to side play and seems cheaply made, but the trigger pull is nice. Haven't had any range time with it yet, but when I do I'll post back. Didn't buy it to carry, just wanted different toy.

Just curious, as I'm not sure who owns the liability of the rebate, if the rebates will never go out in the wake of the bankruptcy filing, or if someone just gets paid to fulfill the rebates out of a preallocated fund, that isn't impacted.

The cynical side of me thinks that they decided to do some rebates to bring in some sales knowing they would be filing bankruptcy and not be fulfilling them, but again, I have no basis for that.

Top Bottom