• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I am not a super radio guy. I do not have my license. I do not use my radio illegally, so fear not. I took a class on basic radio stuff and I am thinking of getting my license. I also want to have some inexpensive radios on hand to communicate a little better than with FRS radios etc.

I have a Baofeng BF_F8HP, which is basically an upgraded UV-5R. It has more frequencies, and it has 8 watts vs. 5. I know it is debatable as to whether the increased output is really that helpful.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with the TYT UV8000E Radio? This seems like a really cool radio in that it has a built in repeater function. It also has a 10w output, which again may not be a huge improvement without an antenna and line of sight.

Would it be worth getting to increase the com range (even a little) of my BF-F8HP and really even if I wanted to get some UV-5Rs as more of a handout, and/or cheaper way to get more radios? Thanks!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am not a super radio guy. I do not have my license. I do not use my radio illegally, so fear not. I took a class on basic radio stuff and I am thinking of getting my license. I also want to have some inexpensive radios on hand to communicate a little better than with FRS radios etc.

I have a Baofeng BF_F8HP, which is basically an upgraded UV-5R. It has more frequencies, and it has 8 watts vs. 5. I know it is debatable as to whether the increased output is really that helpful.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with the TYT UV8000E Radio? This seems like a really cool radio in that it has a built in repeater function. It also has a 10w output, which again may not be a huge improvement without an antenna and line of sight.

Would it be worth getting to increase the com range (even a little) of my BF-F8HP and really even if I wanted to get some UV-5Rs as more of a handout, and/or cheaper way to get more radios? Thanks!

I know enough to be dangerous. But looking into the repeater function, make sure its a dual band repeater. (HT to the base on 70cm, it repeats on 2m) There was something about the single band repeaters that seemed to not make much sense in my mind.

Though now googling that, its still only a handheld. I would want a full mobile to do any repeater functions as 10w still may not be as much distance as you want if we lose repeaters.

And the UV5R is a good radio for what it costs. I like the fact that at $35, if I kick it off the dock while fishing its not the end of the world. Kicking an iCOM off the dock on the other hand. :faint:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Oh, yeah, I am not knicking the UV-5Rs. If I had to have one radio (on my budget) it would currently be the BF-F8HP over the UV-5R for the slight improvements. I am re-thinking my next radio(s) a bit more. Thinking of What if used a repeater at the house and had some other radios for my family to chat on in a doo doo hits the fan situation.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Antenna height is going to be much more important than watts. I have a Wouxan version of this type of radio. Made better than the BFengs. Example of a test I did with mine. HT, transmitting on 70cm on my person in a river bottom (Wabash) car on high ground with Wouxan crossband repeater mode on, 70 cm in 2m out. Simplex repeater set up at home 20 miles north. I was able to hit my home from the river bottom with that setup.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Just some advice from someone that has been working on 2 way radio and ham equipment for nearly 40 years. Baofeng stuff is junk. Yep it's cheap and very affordable. But over all it's junk. Their crap and the Wauxan won't meet FCC type acceptance last I knew. I think some of them might now have limited acceptance.

I have put several of them on my service monitor and I am not impressed with what I have see so far.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Just some advice from someone that has been working on 2 way radio and ham equipment for nearly 40 years. Baofeng stuff is junk. Yep it's cheap and very affordable. But over all it's junk. Their crap and the Wauxan won't meet FCC type acceptance last I knew. I think some of them might now have limited acceptance.

I have put several of them on my service monitor and I am not impressed with what I have see so far.

Not to be a contrarian, but I have had a couple baofengs and they work perfectly fine. They aren't as nice as an icom or a yaesu but they get the job done and work great as a way of dipping your tie into the waters plus they are great beater radios Incase of water or drop damage.

I don't have 40 year experience but I used to be a radio tech for Motorola and I've been a ham for almost 10 years.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Cheap radios like TYT, Baofeng, Radioddity, Wouxon, etc etc have their place but when you are thinking about SHTF scenarios and comms for the family do not count on these toys. HT's without a repeater aren't a hell of a lot of help.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Cheap radios like TYT, Baofeng, Radioddity, Wouxon, etc etc have their place but when you are thinking about SHTF scenarios and comms for the family do not count on these toys. HT's without a repeater aren't a hell of a lot of help.

I have good radios for when its go time, but any HT FRS/GMRS radio can be a huge help. Knowing what is going on 2 blocks over, the entrance to subdivision, the other side of that cornfield etc.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    And to Sailor who has taught me more than I could have learned on my own without a ton of research. Thanks! And yes, that is kind of what I am after. I would love to be able to com around the world for $50, but I know this is not realistic.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I would love to be able to com around the world for $50, but I know this is not realistic.

DMR!
    probably could find a used TYT MD380 approaching that price point. I pd $85 for mine NIB.

Checked into a world-wide net hosted out of Frankfurt a couple weeks ago...

Yea, it's an internet backbone, so not true end of days + 'round the world solution if that's what folks are looking for, but still neat stuff. Local repeater use doesn't need internet back bone and can also use simplex comms. TDMA and digital encoding means some privacy (can't hear on normal vhf/uhf radio). better sound quality than analog.

I'm having fun w/ this ham mode.

Can send text messages, too (some limitations here based on internet bridges, repeater setups, brand of sending/receiving radio, etc).

edit: noted you aren't a ham. a ham lic ID is required to get a dmr ID in order to be recognized on the dmr system.

-rvb

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Homebrew DMR, my VHF base linked to my computers Zello acct, everyone in your Zello group would have to have a licence to respond though.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    And to Sailor who has taught me more than I could have learned on my own without a ton of research. Thanks! And yes, that is kind of what I am after. I would love to be able to com around the world for $50, but I know this is not realistic.

All you need is a $20 Baofeng and an echolink repeater....blammo...you're talking around the world...you just need to get a license.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    As a member of the Indiana Guard Reserve, we have frequencies allocated for official use and our Brigade purchased the Boafeng UV-5ra’s for coms during our missions. They work really well, and can be programmed fairly quickly. As far as range, we used them in the Lawrence 4th of July parade and had no issues.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As a member of the Indiana Guard Reserve, we have frequencies allocated for official use and our Brigade purchased the Boafeng UV-5ra’s for coms during our missions. They work really well, and can be programmed fairly quickly. As far as range, we used them in the Lawrence 4th of July parade and had no issues.

For me the takeaway is "you get what you pay for."

Many of us have had good luck with them. Some have had issues with them. (I fall into both camps) Just make sure your expectations are reasonable.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

So who pays your fines to the FCC when your brigade gets caught using those radios on frequencies they are not approved for?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    The TYT UV8000E looks to be a decent radio for very little money. I have a couple of similar Baofeng radios and they do work but their quality is nothing like a Kenwood, Yaesu, or Alinco. But as a backup or just to carry around in my car, yep, they fit the bill.

But this radio is a HAM only radio. You can use it for receive only without a license but there is no way to transmit on this radio legally without a license. All you need is the Technician License to use this radio.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The TYT UV8000E looks to be a decent radio for very little money. I have a couple of similar Baofeng radios and they do work but their quality is nothing like a Kenwood, Yaesu, or Alinco. But as a backup or just to carry around in my car, yep, they fit the bill.

But this radio is a HAM only radio. You can use it for receive only without a license but there is no way to transmit on this radio legally without a license. All you need is the Technician License to use this radio.

That radio doesn't know if you have a license or not....push the button and it will transmit.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That radio doesn't know if you have a license or not....push the button and it will transmit.

And devils advocate; if you are operating one on a proper public frequency (FRS/GMRS) at the legal power limit and otherwise obeying the law, does it really matter that its illegal simply because the FCC says the device must have a fixed antenna?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    And devils advocate; if you are operating one on a proper public frequency (FRS/GMRS) at the legal power limit and otherwise obeying the law, does it really matter that its illegal simply because the FCC says the device must have a fixed antenna?

Oh sure...no federal regulations matter...we can just all do what we want now.

Top Bottom