Crawfordsville Police stopped a robbery today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They also say that neither they nor any of the surrounding businesses had been notified by the production company that the movie scene was being filmed.

I don't know much about the movie business but I'm thinking if I'm creating the illusion of a crime for legitimate reasons, I might want to take precautions against getting shot while "committing" that crime. :)

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    My wife and I drove by there after this happened. We wondered why all the cop cars were parked on a one way street the wrong direction. I couldn't believe it when I read the paper this morning.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    This occurred as a result of a practice called guerrilla filmmaking by wannabe filmmaker(s). Quentin Tarantino's friend Robert Rodriguez (El Mariachi budget: $7k), Darren Aronofsky (Pi), and even Brian De Palma and Stanley Kubrick engaged in it with their earliest minuscule budget movies made with $75k or less, sometimes much less. It typically involves conducting the location filming without notifying or gaining permission from anyone aside from the private property owners (if any) on which the filming is done. Nobody notifies city officials, or local law enforcement, or even inquires with them. This avoids the potentially high cost of having to pay for permits and being forced to hire or pay for local law enforcement to control traffic, etc., whether they want local law enforcement for it or not. Doing any commercial filming anywhere in NYC, LA, Phil'a, Chicago, etc., is difficult and very expensive. Doing it in a National Park is a nightmare. "Commercial" doesn't mean "advertising", it means anything beyond a tourist making a video for personal use; a hired videographer shooting a wedding is "commercial" cinematography requiring permits and fees in many locales.

In this case, the "production" company is Montgomery County Movies, and it appears to be a two-bit operation working out of the owner's garage with at or near zero budget. He has a Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/MontgomeryCountyMovies/

The "About" on the Facebook page gives a web site URL that has no web site on it (it's a place holder page from the hosting company). They apparently made one film, "Halloween Indiana", and one of the partners sold out to the other one afterward. This must be film #2 in production that resulted in the actor being shot at. The risks of guerrilla filmmaking methods being used to shoot scenes with gun violence were obviously not sufficiently considered. Duff (the actor) is lucky the LEO was a bad shot, firing only one round, and didn't hit or kill him. Usually such events result in a fusillade that empties entire magazines.

Fox59 has more of the story:
    Crawfordsville officer fires shot at actor filming robbery scene for movie | FOX59

John

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Duff (the actor) is lucky the LEO was a bad shot, firing only one round, and didn't hit or kill him. Usually such events result in a fusillade that empties entire magazines.

Oh, does it now?

Thanks for yet another post full of "who gives a ****" but this one has an icing of "you're full of ****" on top. Good job.

Last edited:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Very fortunate the actor was not wounded or killed.
    Stupid, very stupid. They could have at least made a phone call to the police dept and knocked on a couple neighbors doors. That doesn't cost anything.
    Luckily it was the police that engaged him vs. an INGO'r.
    If one of us was walking by when the actor came out with a ski mask on and his movie prop gun, it would have ended much more tragically and one of us would be smeared all over the news right now for killing an actor.
    Thank you Crawfordsville PD !!

That being said, please take a hard look at your department's firearms training and use this as an opportunity to improve.
    You basically got a Get out of Jail Free card here, so make the most of it.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Apparently some members of INGO need to form up a training company and become millionaires showing LE how it's done. Considering the apparently vast amount of experience shooting their handguns during life and death situations and their ability to maintain the same accuracy that they do during slow fire at 10 yards I don't see how some won't become filthy stinkin rich overnight.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Oh, does it now?

Thanks for yet another post full of "who gives a ****" but this one has an icing of "you're full of ****" on top. Good job.

I suppose there could be thousands of one-and-done police shootings that never make the news.

Maybe our perception is skewed by the most shocking events, like the LAPD firehosing bullets into a Toyota occupied by two Asian women delivering papers who were mistaken for a large black man on a murder spree.

Or the NYPD pumping 50 shots into a groom-to-be the night before his wedding night.:dunno:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I guess it would be a real shame to have perceptions skewed by experience and reality. I suppose that might make for a pretty boring forum. Feel free to lead the way in detailing your personal expertise and experience and I'll start writing up the proposal to transfer LE firearms training over the some of the members here.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I guess it would be a real shame to have perceptions skewed by experience and reality. I suppose that might make for a pretty boring forum. Feel free to lead the way in detailing your personal expertise and experience and I'll start writing up the proposal to transfer LE firearms training over the some of the members here.

Countless hours on Call of Duty. Fair warning, I'm best with melee weapons, so your department is going to need in depth training. When will I get my check and training schedule?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Very fortunate the actor was not wounded or killed.
    Stupid, very stupid. They could have at least made a phone call to the police dept and knocked on a couple neighbors doors. That doesn't cost anything.
    Luckily it was the police that engaged him vs. an INGO'r.
    If one of us was walking by when the actor came out with a ski mask on and his movie prop gun, it would have ended much more tragically and one of us would be smeared all over the news right now for killing an actor.
    Thank you Crawfordsville PD !!

That being said, please take a hard look at your department's firearms training and use this as an opportunity to improve.
    You basically got a Get out of Jail Free card here, so make the most of it.
    You'd shoot at someone that is not a threat to you? Please don't include all of INGO in your scenario.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I guess it would be a real shame to have perceptions skewed by experience and reality...

Most of the population has no direct experience in being shot at by police or shooting at people as a LEO. Our perceptions are formed by second hand information, often from sources with a serious bias. Or at least sources who are far from knowledgeable in matters relating to the use of firearms.

As someone who knows more about such issues, you could enlighten us. But I suppose that might make for a pretty boring forum.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Most of the population has no direct experience in being shot at by police or shooting at people as a LEO. Our perceptions are formed by second hand information, often from sources with a serious bias. Or at least sources who are far from knowledgeable in matters relating to the use of firearms.

As someone who knows more about such issues, you could enlighten us. But I suppose that might make for a pretty boring forum.

I'd be happy to, have any specific questions? What would you like to know about? How crappy handgun bullets are at stopping people? The physiological phenomena which usually occur when the brain recognizes that death is likely?

I'll admit to getting testy about this stuff. It's basically the equivalent of my criticizing a Forumula 1 driver for crashing his car in a race when I've been able to drive to and from work for the past 20 years without so much as curbing my wheels.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I'll admit to getting testy about this stuff. It's basically the equivalent of my criticizing a Forumula 1 driver for crashing his car in a race when I've been able to drive to and from work for the past 20 years without so much as curbing my wheels.

You aren't performing your civic duty of executing a periodic "curb check" to ensure that they are still functioning?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Apparently some members of INGO need to form up a training company and become millionaires showing LE how it's done. Considering the apparently vast amount of experience shooting their handguns during life and death situations and their ability to maintain the same accuracy that they do during slow fire at 10 yards I don't see how some won't become filthy stinkin rich overnight.

It's the same thing you see watching a UFC fight at a local bar. Every guy in a "Tapout" shirt says what they would have done if they were in that octagon. Or what they would have done in that armed robbery video they saw on the evening news. The Dunning-Kruger effect does not discriminate.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Unless they been in that situation there is no way to convey what it's like. Reminds me of the time during college, I was in ROTC and in uniform, and this wantobe sits down next to me at lunch and tells me because his good a board war games he could be a general in the Army. Seriously he believed this!

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    You'd shoot at someone that is not a threat to you? Please don't include all of INGO in your scenario.

Well of course not. Where did I say that we would shoot someone who's not a threat??
    Armed Ski masked people run out of stores all the time with no ill intent to hurt us or the people we are with...
    Forgive me for making the assumption that an armed ski mask clad person poses a threat that we should take notice of and/or be ready to defend ourselves. That's just crazy talk :nuts:
    Just saying that if one of us was walking by and the armed ski mask clad guy comes out of the store and turns our way (same scenario the CPD faced) the end result would likely have been fatal for the actor.
    That scenario is pretty much "text book" for justified self defense and is re-created in one way or another over and over again in shooting competitions and training many of us attend regularly.

Top Bottom