• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I didn't think cans cast well. I guess I was wrong. This came out pretty nice.

[video=youtube_share;zBWjA_5ptSk]http://youtu.be/zBWjA_5ptSk[/video]

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Impressive until he started shooting into the pond. Maybe he knows exactly what's on the other side.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Cans cast fine. The problem with them is their so thin. That much surface area creates a large amount of waste that has to be skimmed because of the oxide coating.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Cans cast fine. The problem with them is their so thin. That much surface area creates a large amount of waste that has to be skimmed because of the oxide coating.

I have a back yard foundry, cans cast ok, lots of Slagle and waste, old BBQ grills and lawn mower decks work better....high tension aluminum wire works better.....but his cores and sand boxes look nice.....don't forget to vent your mould,add a riser to prevent sinks, and use a binding agent in your sand.

Aaron

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I'd like to add I am a master machinist, and that is a lot of work,but his machining look good, but for that much work, why not just start with a billet or 0% receiver

Aaron the grumpy old tool maker

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'd like to add I am a master machinist, and that is a lot of work,but his machining look good, but for that much work, why not just start with a billet or 0% receiver

Aaron the grumpy old tool maker

I think mostly he's just showing off! What a show though! If you remember the one project we were taking about? I am close to starting on it! I have to get with you on the castings.

And I am with Andy. I hate machining Aluminum. I just don't have much experience at speeds and feed rates. And not fond of tapping it either. I really gotta pick up a set if 2 flute taps. I envy Aaron's skills! Even if he is grumpy. :stickpoke:

Larry

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Machining aluminum isn't bad at all.....some grades machine easy, use 2 flute end mills, proper speaks and feeds, on a lathe tools with proper geometry and the stuff machines very well. 2 flute end mills for aluminum, for cutting slots as the flutes don't clog, and if possible I li,etc to leave a few thousands on the work , reduce my speeds a little and climb mill out for finish.

Speeds and feeds? Google speeds and feeds calculator, I have machinist buddy app on my phone, tapping aluminum is easy.....I do drill my holes just a bit over sized, ..003 to .005 most of the time, (aprox. 25% reduction in force needed to tap the hole) 2 flute tapes are full thru holes where you do not brake the shaving,

One word of caution, if you try this at home, give your aluminum the spark test, I saw guy toss in magnesium, on top of molten aluminum in his foundry......if need to tell you what happened next, you have no business trying this......

If you hate aluminum......try machining delrin.....if had to cut a 1 1/4 20 TPI buttress tread in delrin this week.......if did it on my old rusty,crusty south Bend 10k.......no DRO, no cnc......

Yes I am getting grumpy....

Larry, I will ring you this afternoon.....

Until late then....

Aaron

Top Bottom