• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    This has been my most favorite build setup to date I think. The ability to pin on a 16" upper with magnified optic to do shooting from 50+ yards out and the ability to pin on a 10.5" SBR upper to do some close in style shooting all in one pack. I'm sure we all have that one build that puts a smile on our faces every time we look at it and this is by far mine...

[video=youtube;SsySdsV8vM4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsySdsV8vM4[/video]

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I can't pick one, don't make me!!! Lol A scope is real nice and I enjoy them very much, that said my favorite is probably my plain Colt with iron sights. Old school!

Ha ha I know what you mean there, it really is tough! Any more I don't even use the SBR upper, I always end up using the one with the magnified optic.. Nothing wrong with an old school Colt that's for sure!

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    How about a 12.5" barreled 6.5 Grendel? I think that covers all the bases! I have one with a vortex 1-6x and it's the most all around rifle I own. The only change I would consider is bumping the optic up to a 2.5-10x.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    11.5" with a QD 1-6 and a QD RDO would do it if I had to pick just one. No need to change the upper, just swap the scopes.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    How about a 12.5" barreled 6.5 Grendel? I think that covers all the bases! I have one with a vortex 1-6x and it's the most all around rifle I own. The only change I would consider is bumping the optic up to a 2.5-10x.

I think that would be a very capable setup. Grendel is an awesome round, I've often thought about doing a 16" carbine version with a magnified optic. I think that would be a sweet midrange setup for how capable the round is and the weight savings in the ar15 platform would be a win win...

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So quick question in regards to the sbr. I have a SBR and was going to just buy a longer upper but was told that even if I add a 16 inch or longer upper that it would still be considered an SBR because the lower is registered as such?? Not a huge deal but if that were the case I would be limited to just Indiana with either

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So quick question in regards to the sbr. I have a SBR and was going to just buy a longer upper but was told that even if I add a 16 inch or longer upper that it would still be considered an SBR because the lower is registered as such?? Not a huge deal but if that were the case I would be limited to just Indiana with either

Nope. An SBR with a long 16" upper is not in an "SBR" configuration so is allowed to cross state lines without notifying ATF. Just do not also take that short barrel out of state with you. I've posted links to the ATF FAQ on here before but am too lazy to find them.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Well that sucks. Now I wish I did not buy the mil spec brown color from DD. I bet throwing a black upper will just look silly, I'm kinda that guy though so I still might but love the fact that I can. I am guessing a 300 blackout upper would be a no no? I sent an email out 5 mins ago to the gentleman that made my trust for a little clarity on the issue too.

Quick question and the reason I am asking is its just a little conflicting. If you are saying that the lower is in fact the registered SBR and the upper is not, then it really would not matter how long the upper was you would still be crossing state lines with a registered lower?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Any caliber, any length greater than 16" (even a 14.5" with a permanently attached 1.5" muzzle device) attached to your SBR lower takes it out of the SBR configuration.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Why not just build one for each role. 16" standard, 10.5 pistol, 7.62x39 because why not, 300 blkout for some hunting action and a 6.5 creedmore to get out and play...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I guess because I don't have a use for 300blk or x39. As far as the creedmoor goes that would have to step up to the AR10 platform to get that caliber so that kinda throws a light weight setup out the window and for what I was going for with my system, that's a no go for me..

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    I guess because I don't have a use for 300blk or x39. As far as the creedmoor goes that would have to step up to the AR10 platform to get that caliber so that kinda throws a light weight setup out the window and for what I was going for with my system, that's a no go for me..

If I had to pick only one, I would go with a 16" 5.56. I would definitely make it a higher end rifle and have something like a vortex strike eagle optic. That is probably the most diverse. It stays within the law, it can have good accuracy and the optic is good in most useable ranges. Ammo is cheap and plentiful and though not ideal, can take down up to a whitetail.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Nothing like putting cheap cheap glass on a high end rifle.

The purple dripped off.....

If I had to pick only one, I would go with a 16" 5.56. I would definitely make it a higher end rifle and have something like a vortex strike eagle optic. That is probably the most diverse. It stays within the law, it can have good accuracy and the optic is good in most useable ranges. Ammo is cheap and plentiful and though not ideal, can take down up to a whitetail.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

I agree the 5.56 is probably the best bet for overall usage..

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Nothing like putting cheap cheap glass on a high end rifle.

The purple dripped off.....

This I also do not understand, personally I like the European way of doing things with rifles. Spend about what you spent on the rifle on a nice scope. The rifle and scope make up a system , and a cheap scope makes using the rifle more difficult and not as enjoyable IMHO.

Top Bottom