• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This is a bittersweet story of a long-time prepper who along with his wife, spent their life building a place when friends and family could come and survive an economic collapse. They put close to $1 mil into their preps, but then the wife got sick. Her medical care burned up their money, she died, and now he's losing the house.

While getting ready for the estate sale, he met a couple with family in Puerto Rico and donated all of his preps and stored food to send to the island.

How a heartbroken doomsday prepper who lost everything is now saving hurricane victims | NJ.com

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Badame's focus changed 12 years ago, when Phyliss suffered a stroke that partially paralyzed her and affected her hearing and sight.
    Doctors told Badame she maybe had a year, so he took out a half-million loan on the house and focused on giving her the best year ever, including a cruise. But she ended up living eight more years, and the cost of her care and several trips, all while Badame couldn't work, meant he went broke the year she died.

Wow... To think, you put al that together for years to basically hunker down in the case of it hitting the fan, get the bad health news and change up your plans completely and then lose everything you worked for. I get wanting to provide for her and make her remaining time great, but seems counter to their entire lives up to that point.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Wow... To think, you put al that together for years to basically hunker down in the case of it hitting the fan, get the bad health news and change up your plans completely and then lose everything you worked for. I get wanting to provide for her and make her remaining time great, but seems counter to their entire lives up to that point.

That part jumped out at me too. It seems pretty short-sighted after everything they'd done up until then.

I was impressed that the writer kept the story pretty straight-forward and didn't mock the concept of prepping. Except the use of "doomsday prepper" in the headline.

Top Bottom