• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I haven't built a rifle in about 6 years. Its amazing to me how fast this market changes. Going through all my parts selection was a lot easier a few years ago. When doing a build like this you want to make sure your not missing some new product that you would want later down the road, because mistakes are extremely pricey in this game.

I decided about a year ago I wanted to build my version of the ultimate hunting rifle. I wanted to be able to kill anything in the lower 48 states with the focus obviously being on whitetail. The first decision I made was bullet diameter, and I chose 7mm.

After that I started wading through the 7mm options. I only shoot my reload's, so for me it came down to 3 front runners.

7mm STW
    7mm RUM
    28 Nosler

RUM fell off the list quickly. I think its to much of an overbore, and efficiency would be out the window. The STW, and Nosler was a much tougher decision. I chose the 28 Nosler not necessarily for performance, because they are both neck and neck. I chose it because it has a company like Nosler backing it, and they will not allow the caliber to fail by not producing brass. If you look back at the last big caliber crazy (WSM/WSSM) the only reason they lost popularity IMO is brass availability. This being a Nosler product I cant see that happening. Hell you can still buy 6.5x47 Lapua brass for this reason, and not many people use that caliber. Barrel consumption was not a huge worry for me on this rifle because its not a target rifle, if the barrel lasts me 1k rounds, that's a lot of dead critters over the coarse of a lot of years. I intend to shoot the 162 grain ELDx's. Keep in mind this is not a 1500 yard rifle build, in all reality, it may never take a shot north of 800 yards, so I dont see the need to shoot the 195's, but by going 8 twist I can shoot the heavier options if I decide to.

I picked up a Pierce custom action, mainly because its on of the few Ive never tried, and everyone raves about them.

Pierce Action : Pierce Engineering

On barrel selection I went with a Bartlien 8 twist, 3b contour. I've used the Bartlien barrels in the past (as well as most everyone else) and they shoot as well as anything else. I think in custom barrels everyone gets to wrapped up in "X brand vs Y brand", or "cut rifling vs button". Fact of the matter is, I shoot a lot, and any of the top 5 manufacturer's barrels will out shoot me. I will be cutting it off at 24 inch's, and threading it for a break/suppressor.

I have yet to decide on a break, but I have time.

On the stock, I've tried most, and always circle back to Manners. Last stock I ordered from them the Elite hunter series was not an option, so a carbon stock for me and hunting is a huge win. I wanted thumb hole, and folding. Folding stocks are great for long trip's packing into country, and it wont hurt me here in Indiana. I personally prefer a thumb hole. My perfect stock was not an option, so I went with the Manners EH5A. Its not a folder, but I had to chose 1 feature to give up, and folding lost. I will have flush cup's, and Atlas rail added. Im going with the mini chassis for a couple reasons. 1) Life is a lot easier when you can bed with a torque wrench, and not devcon, marine tex, etc. 2) It saves me from having to order a detachable mag for the rifle. Do I need a detachable mag for hunting? Probably not. Is life easier when you can put a 3 round mag in the rifle, and put a 5-10 round mag in the pack? Absolutely.

On trigger, I will be ordering the Jewell HVR. I put this trigger on my last build, and loved it. If it aint broke dont fix it on that part. I'm very trigger picky.

For the work, Ive always use AJ Brown. Over the years we have built a good relationship, and to be honest he is one of the tp builders in the country. I see no reason to look elsewhere.

On optics, I have a meeting with Vortex in November and I'm going to push hard to get them to develop my idea of the perfect scope for this build. Cant get much more detailed than that, but if it happens I'm sure everyone will hear about it.

Thats it for now, Ill keep you posted as I progress, and parts get put together. Right now all I have it an action, so there is no reason for pic's.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Cool project. Brass is easily made for the 7mm STW from readily available cases so in the long run it is probably a safer choice than the 7mm Nosler. However, the lack of a belt on the Nosler makes it the better choice of the two to my mind. BTW, based on my experience loading for my .26 Nosler, I highly recommend paying a bit more for the Nosler cases instead of the slightly cheaper Norma ones.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I can find no fault at all in your analysis or plan. Sounds like it will be an awesome rifle.

And good call on the 8 twist, you can experiment with Berger 195s even!

Also agree on choosing beltless, that's worth giving something up to gain. But I can't see how you're reallky giving up anything to get it.

It seems to me like you have something close to the perfect hunting rifle planned.

(personally, I'd chop the barrel at 20", as I find the reduced weight and better handling well worth giving up a couple fps).

Solid plan, I can't wait to see pics.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Cool project. Brass is easily made for the 7mm STW from readily available cases so in the long run it is probably a safer choice than the 7mm Nosler. However, the lack of a belt on the Nosler makes it the better choice of the two to my mind. BTW, based on my experience loading for my .26 Nosler, I highly recommend paying a bit more for the Nosler cases instead of the slightly cheaper Norma ones.

I have learned the "buy good brass" lesson the hard way many years ago. Gunwerk's sells Nosler brand once fired brass for something like 1.35 per round. Thats probably the route I will go because I go through and do all my own case prep no matter who's brass I run.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I can find no fault at all in your analysis or plan. Sounds like it will be an awesome rifle.

And good call on the 8 twist, you can experiment with Berger 195s even!

Also agree on choosing beltless, that's worth giving something up to gain. But I can't see how you're reallky giving up anything to get it.

It seems to me like you have something close to the perfect hunting rifle planned.

(personally, I'd chop the barrel at 20", as I find the reduced weight and better handling well worth giving up a couple fps).

Solid plan, I can't wait to see pics.

I thought about cutting the barrel shorter, and still might. Something I have learned about barrels is, its much easier to cut some off, and re thread later down the road than it is to weld a piece back on. I typically finish the rifle at the longest barrel length I would want, play with it for awhile, then cut more off if I feel the need, or call it good and thread for a brake. I don't care how much you study, you can never tell what a rifle will feel like until you put it in your hands. Obviously if your fluting the barrel you cant do it the way I am, but flutting only cuts a few OZ off the wieght, and I wont shoot it fast enough to care about cooling.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have learned the "buy good brass" lesson the hard way many years ago. Gunwerk's sells Nosler brand once fired brass for something like 1.35 per round. Thats probably the route I will go because I go through and do all my own case prep no matter who's brass I run.

That's a good price for once fired Nosler brass. Norma is normally good brass( I think the load the Weatherby brand ammo) and it is priced almost as much as the Nosler but the primer pockets on my .26 Nosler were way, way too tight. It simply wasn't worth the headache for the small difference in price on new brass.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    UPDATE

I sent off the barrel, and action to AJ today. I decided on a 26 inch threaded barrel, and an OD green Cerakote.

Left to buy are

Powder (H1000, and Retumbo)
    Dies (micrometer adjust Forster's)
    Jewell trigger

I have plenty of time. The stock wont be here for about 4 months, and the barreled action will be at least that amount of time.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Sounds like an excellent project. Tell AJ I said hello, haven't talked to him in a few years. He built the most accurate rifle I've ever shot/owned, still regret letting it go.

madvarminter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2015
    franklin
    sounds like its gonna be an awesome rifle had a remington 700 in 7 STW a few years back was cool but th eaction was really to short for long loaded VLD bullets if you wanted to unload without firing

Top Bottom