• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    After many years neglecting it, I am planning to play with my little cap and ball pistol again. Where can I buy REAL black powder in or about Indianapolis? I need everything else too, caps, balls, patches, lube, measure, the works. who has the reasonable prices on bp stuff?

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    If you have or can make a ball mill, MUCH cheaper to make your own. That's what I do.

Somebody on here had a really nice tutorial on how he made his mill.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Hit some yard sales. I just passed on a nice box of everything you need and then some. It was marked 2 bucks. Sure you could have got it for a dollar. Don't know why I put it back.

Hit another sale this spring it was nothing but black powder stuff. Guy had everything and then some. It was going cheap!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    If you have or can make a ball mill, MUCH cheaper to make your own. That's what I do.

Somebody on here had a really nice tutorial on how he made his mill.

I haven't made my own powder since I was literally a child. Ball mill? I ground my stuff between two ceramic floor tiles. I am not sure I want to scrape old white dog turds for nitrate at my age. There comes a point in ones life when he tries to maintain some level of dignity.

tranders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Clinton County
    If you join the NMLRA you can buy black powder at Friendship. Other than that you will have to pay hazmat fees going with Graf and Sons.
    There are some other online vendors who will ship black powder.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Try the Outdoorsman in Greenwood. They used to carry quite a bit of black powder accessories. Just know what you should be paying before you go so you don't get gouged. Sometimes you pay a "convenience" fee for it being on the shelf.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Also, don't just buy any black powder.
    Make sure you know what size grain you want for your gun.
    It makes a difference.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Also, don't just buy any black powder.
    Make sure you know what size grain you want for your gun.
    It makes a difference.

It calls for fff. In the past I have found that match heads are a bit course and offered unreliable ignition. Not to mention the cleaning consequences. Almost as bad as Pyrodex! Now that I am this old I don't want my grandson risking his fingers like I did. I will get the right stuff.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Deer Creek down the interstate towards Cincinnati and get off at exit #123, turn back to the right at the big gas station.
    Keep going back west and it'll be on your left (south side of road), 6989 East Michigan Road, Waldron.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks to all for your tips and leads to sources of black powder. A special big thanks to member bstewrat3 who tonight delivered into my hands a one pound can of goex fffg. No chem-set shenanigans for me!

I have a pistol and a ramrod and now gunpowder. I still need the other paraphernalia, flask, measure, lube, patches, balls, etc. But the hard to get part is in my hand. My grandson is so excited!

The smoke. The tiny little burns up and down your arms. The burnt taste hanging in the air. The way the soot makes your eyes burn. The lead balls bouncing back and leaving bruises. Washing guns in the sink like dishes. So much fun for everybody! I will set a new generation on the path........ Unless grandma catches us!

Top Bottom