• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    18-24 months ago I was 2/3 serious shopping around for an AR-15 - new in all respects, because I've never owned one and have only shot one a few times.

I never did buy one.

I'm back now.

My budget is $600 to get in, what make and model do you recommend? I can buy now, or I can save a little more and buy later.

I'd like something reliable, sturdy, 5.56/223, easily maintained, did I mention reliable, and plenty of aftermarket options.

Primary purpose is self-defense

Any thoughts are appreciated.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Colt 6920-r. Save up $100 more. They're going for $700 right now. Stupid cheap. Best deal I've ever seen on an AR. Read on m4c about them if you want opinions from people that know ARs.

Other awesome deal is the WS Sionics kit. It'll end up being ~$800 all said and done.

Seriously, if you've got $600, save up an extra $1-200 and get something that'll be gtg for the rest of your life. With high quality ARs being as cheap as they are right now, there's no reason to buy junk.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    The S&W Sport II has very good reviews across the net and is going for $499 in a number of places. It has been selling in the mid-600s. Use the extra money for ammo and some selected accessories.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Colt 6920-r. Save up $100 more. They're going for $700 right now. Stupid cheap. Best deal I've ever seen on an AR. Read on m4c about them if you want opinions from people that know ARs.

Other awesome deal is the WS Sionics kit. It'll end up being ~$800 all said and done.

Seriously, if you've got $600, save up an extra $1-200 and get something that'll be gtg for the rest of your life. With high quality ARs being as cheap as they are right now, there's no reason to buy junk.

This Colt has me intrigued. I think I'd like to get one next. $709 plus shipping and transfer with a Centurion rail seems like a good deal for sure.

My only complaint is I wish they'd just fit it with Magpul MOE furniture and charge a little more.

The S&W Sport II has very good reviews across the net and is going for $499 in a number of places. It has been selling in the mid-600s. Use the extra money for ammo and some selected accessories.

I recently picked up one of these. It seems well built and shoots good. I plan to play around with a scope on it soon and see how accurate it is.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    This Colt has me intrigued. I think I'd like to get one next. $709 plus shipping and transfer with a Centurion rail seems like a good deal for sure.

My only complaint is I wish they'd just fit it with Magpul MOE furniture and charge a little more.

I recently picked up one of these. It seems well built and shoots good. I plan to play around with a scope on it soon and see how accurate it is.
    6920 MOE

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The 6920 MOE is the Magpul edition. The 6920r is the one for $700 with the centurion rail. No reason to buy the Magpul edition with the centurion rail one as cheap as it is right now. The Magpul edition is the same price or more expensive, and it only comes with Magpul's cheapest furniture. Get the 6920r and swap the stock and grip if you dislike the one it comes with. Heck, I think I've got some spares laying around in the parts bin.

Is that the 6920r? $700? I've looked before and never found it.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks all for your thoughts! I'm looking at the Sport II now primarily, and wondering about my timing. Think I'll ride it out until Black Friday and see if prices continue a gradual decline. Ready to pounce on one of these.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Man, I really can't see the 6920-r going any lower than it is. If they dip any further, my self control will not hold out.

Thanks all for your thoughts! I'm looking at the Sport II now primarily, and wondering about my timing. Think I'll ride it out until Black Friday and see if prices continue a gradual decline. Ready to pounce on one of these.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    ^^^ I agree with the post above. I haven't handled one of these yet, but I think they are great bang for the buck. They come with a lot of desirable features, and leave enough money left over for sights and an optic of some sort.

Oman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I am asking bout a polymer lower, anyone have any ideas, likes, dislikes. Are these lowers safe to use or have they had many issues. They seem to be cheaper in price.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Aero Precision lowers can be had for $40-50 and matched upper/lower combos for $80. They are high quality and extremely reasonably priced. You may have to wait and watch for a deal to find the prices I listed, but they are selling for that if you are patient.

In the grand scheme of things, spending $10 extra on a quality forged lower is worth it rather than cheaping out on a polymer lower for such a small amount of savings.

Now, if you're trying to do an uber lightweight build, have at it. Some of the newer polymer lowers have fixed a lot of the issues they had in the past. But they're still not going to be as reliable and durable as a quality forged lower.

Basically.....if you have to ask, you should buy a quality forged lower and not consider a polymer lower.

I am asking bout a polymer lower, anyone have any ideas, likes, dislikes. Are these lowers safe to use or have they had many issues. They seem to be cheaper in price.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I built a really fun AR on an FMK lower. I never had an issue with reliability and honestly wish I still had that build. Current owner beats the hell out of it and it's fine. I would not go that route again and if I had it back id put a forged lower on it. Only because I have a changed mindset with my ARs and no longer treat them the same as my grandpa's Remington. Get rough on a polymer lower and something will give. If you're gentle and a casual user they are pleasantly lightweight and won't develop a layer of frost while in the deer blind. Very mission specific. When I bought mine Anderson lowers where touching 90 dollars, now that prices have tanked and availability spiked I am stocking up on forged lowers.

Lots of local shops have lowers with their information on it. I've got two so far, but like Pokemon I want to catch them all.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    There are tons of ways to do this and fit in your budget. Does that budget include your optic?
    You have some options here:
    1. Buy a complete lower and complete upper
    2. Buy a mid range AR with open sights (colt is a good example)
    3. Buy a lower end with some decent optics

Around black Friday you can get some pretty crazy deals. My first was a DPMS with a flat top that I got out the door with 2 extra mags for $500. That was a deal when I got it. Since I've seen them as low as $399. It has actually been a really good rifle. I just use it as a farm gun. I cheaped out on the optic and put a UTG scope on it and I'm not a big fan so I'm going to switch to a Nikon around black Friday time.
    It's hard to go wrong really. I might shy away from something like a diamondback but only because I'm not quite sure what else they do.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-new-ruger-i-have-buy-new-5-56-mpr-video.html

A whole lot of features and right under your budget. The only thing you would need are sights or a red dot.

^^^ I agree with the post above. I haven't handled one of these yet, but I think they are great bang for the buck. They come with a lot of desirable features, and leave enough money left over for sights and an optic of some sort.

Totally agree with both of these guys. My son bought his first AR after turning 18 last year, and kept going back-and-forth between the S&W Sport II and the Ruger AR556. He got the Ruger on sale for just a tick under $600 last fall. I'm now seeing them in the <$500 range on places like Grab-a-Gun, even Rural King IIRC. And this new AR556 MPR with the better furniture looks like a fantastic setup for the price. My son's AR556 has been completely flawless so far, and shoots as nice IMO as my Adams factory piston setup.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Those of us who remember the post-Sandy Hook panic of 2012 - 2013 will tell you to get what you can this year. The political circle will turn and Democrats will be in power again. They will make sure you won't be able to buy any kind of "assault rifle."

Entry level, build your own, mid-grade...whatever. Buy it and load up on mags and ammo to go with it while it's affordable.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Those of us who remember the post-Sandy Hook panic of 2012 - 2013 will tell you to get what you can this year. The political circle will turn and Democrats will be in power again. They will make sure you won't be able to buy any kind of "assault rifle."

Entry level, build your own, mid-grade...whatever. Buy it and load up on mags and ammo to go with it while it's affordable.
    True, but most of us have seen there is a large group of guys that will be selling their stuff now at the low point in the market and they will be right back panic buying at the high point. Buying high and selling low being a bad idea is not just for the stock market.

Top Bottom