• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have had an echo trigger for about 6 months now, and I don't really care for it. Never have, and have been considering selling it damn near since the first time I shot it. Now I am pretty sure in a normal market I would loose money on the deal, or at best break even. However these types of things seem to be approaching the unavailable level, and possibly even approaching where they may not even be legal, and therefore I would loose ALL of my money. This brought up a conversation between me and a coworker. He says its bull**** that I would capitalize on a tragedy. I said I am capitalizing on a fearful market, not the tragedy. I am not even sure I want to sell it at this point, but the appeal of making some quick easy profit on something I don't really want, is appealing. Someone out there wants the trigger more than their money, and I want their money more than the trigger.

What does ingo say? Moral or immoral? Is it really "gouging" if the person is ready and willing for fork over the cash?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    If you do anything short of melting it down into a useless lump, there are those who will consider it immoral. Ultimately, you have to make the decision on the morality yourself but, if profit is the sticking point, sell it at a break-even price and forget about it. And, get/give a dated receipt while they're still legal.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    Supply vs demand. That's all it is. Put a price on it and if someone money's up it's just another sale in my mind.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's amoral. There is no morality involved. It's neither right, nor wrong. It just is. Do what you want; charge what the market will bear.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As long as you are not marking up .22LR to what the market will bear, morality is not an issue.

If you don't want it, and someone wants to buy it, I certainly don't see an issue.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The only way I would see it to be imoral is if you had full knowledge that it WOULD be illegal down the road and would need to be destroyed and the seller didnt.

e.g. Selling your lifetime VIP room access card to a strip club, not immoral. Selling the VIP card after the club owner told you in confidence the club may be closing next month is.

As long as the seller knows that they could be outlawed or made to make his life inconvenient, I dont see a problem with it. If both parties agree to a price, no matter how inflated and everything out in the open, its fine.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    If you don't want it, sell it. If you are worried you are "gouging" someone, just put it up for auction. Free and fair. Someone wants it, and if anything, I would say it isn't cool to hold onto something that you don't even want, but that someone else is willing to freely pay good money for.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It's amoral. There is no morality involved. It's neither right, nor wrong. It just is. Do what you want; charge what the market will bear.

Hough is correct....Another INGO member and I had the same issue on a gun he wanted to consign...A Keltec 22 magnum pistol during the Sandy Hook panic...He knew I would not gouge on a price....I sold a Mini 14 for the same price I normally would and stayed true to my principles...My customer wanted to get rid of this gun and do well on it...

Here is how we did it...I would not sell it in the shop, only on gunbroker....We listed it with penny auction....01 cent opening bid....It sold for $900 plus IIRC...

We both did good and kept our conscious clean....You see WE didn't screw over anyone...They screwed themselves....

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Sort of a derailment here (sorry Indy Gunworks), what would the law be when this ban passes? Would it not just be a new law banning the production of and selling of NEW bump stocks? Would one be a potential felon if “caught” with a now newly designated NFA item? Even if you were the original owner or purchased before the ban took effect? Selling of an old one after the stock has been NFA’d I could see as a illegal action, but what about being in possession of one, without the stamp to prove legality? Shall we expect some door to door search teams looking for those dastardly dangerous stocks that kill people on their own? Or maybe a drop off bin in front of the local mart...

Sell it if you don’t like it. If you’re worried about what people around you will think of you for selling a perfectly legal item at a reasonable price then the original question isn’t the true problem. IMO. Of course.

Top Bottom