• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    Interesting ammo issue, never saw this before. My uncle, whose only guns were ever bolt actions, muzzle-loaders, or shotguns for hunting, bought an AR-15 last year at Rural King during the Hillary-hype. The only ammo he tried in it was something I'd never heard of before - Geco .223 Remington 55gr (German-made, black & red box of 50, all rounds come on plastic 10-round stripper clips).

None of the rounds would fire. He manually cycled the gun 10 times without success. None of the primers had dimples, suggesting that the firing pin wasn't striking them. He gave me the ammo and IMO their primers are less than perfectly level, appearing to be seated just a bit too deep. I haven't had a chance to test-fire any of it in my own guns, a homebuilt AR-Frankenrifle in .223/5.56 and a Mini-14 in .223. I've asked but he hasn't yet told me if any other ammo worked.

Way I figure it, no dimples says that the firing pin isn't making contact, suggesting a BCG/firing pin issue, especially if this stuff runs okay in other guns. On the other hand, if it fails in multiple guns then it might be the ammo.

What say you folks? Anyone know anything about this German Geco ammunition?

[Update] Just heard back. The AR in question is Core-15 Scout Rifle labeled .223/5.56 and my uncle says he's since fired two other brands of ammo, but didn't say what kind. Looks like a finicky rifle that doesn't like the Geco. If the weather's any good I'm gonna go over to his place next week and see how it works in my two rifles.

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I've never had any issues with it either. I'm guessing it could be the gun, mainly the length of the firing pin. Without running it in another gun first theres no way to know.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have 5 boxes of it. Have not shot any yet. The boxes say made in Switzerland. After reading the reviews and being "Swiss" made, I thought it must be good. And the price is great. I was going to buy some more soon. I guess I better test it out first.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have used this ammo extensively to the tune of about 1,500 rounds including a carbine class.
    No issues great accuracy and clean I use a M400 Sig that is extremely reliable. I am attending another class next weekend and will use the ammo again. I agree that the AR in question needs a trip back to the maker for a look over.

Lanternman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2017
    East Central
    It's actually the only .223 ammo I have had misfires with. Also purchased at RK during the same time frame. Not as profound as your example, but the occasional failure to fire.

It could be a headspace issue. Has he tried another brand?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Remove and thoroughly clean the bolt, paying particular attention to the firing pin channel.
    My bet is either gunk or particulate matter in the firing pin channel, or it's a defective firing pin.

Top Bottom