• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It would be helpful to know what the question is referencing...here in IN? Transport across state lines? Which states? There are too many potential answers to that question. Here in IN ATM's answer applies...except at school or on federal property.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Agreed. Don't know wtf you're talking about...I basically leave rifles loaded about anytime I think I need to use one to punch a hole in something, and that's just about all the time.

-Nate

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What kind of truck. Where you stash it. Where do you go with it in the truck. What kind of rifle.

I have an extended cab P/U truck and the back seat is full of tools as I work out of it. It is easy to get an AR in among the tools so it does not draw undo attention. I can also get to it from the drivers seat easily enough if need be. I never leave it in there over night and do not take it to places I will not be able to secure the truck.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I would not recommend transporting chambered firearm in a car, unless it is your on-body carry gun. If your car is involved in a fire, the chambered bullet will fire and potentially strike a first responder.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    In Indiana, no regulations on long guns. As K_W stated, there is that possibility. Personally, I keep a round in the chamber of my carry weapon. Any other "ready to go" weapons, such as a long gun on a road trip, without a round in the chamber. Any stored weapons (being the majority), I keep unloaded and ammo separate.

As far as your question, if referencing Indiana solely, if you can legally own a long gun, you can legally carry it strapped to your back with a round in the chamber and 6 spare mags on your chest for all the law is concerned. Do what you like. Don't think you won't have a run in with the police carrying in that manner though...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And dear God dont STORE the gun in the truck.

LOTS of guns stolen that way. Quite a few over the past several weeks in the Greenwood area alone.

Please dont be THAT guy.

Oh, and what KW said. bullets in a fire are no biggie. bullets in a fire IN A CHAMBER are deadly. And while they may be DROP safe, they may not be CRASH safe.

So the takeaway is Dont store it in the car, and dont keep one in the pipe.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    And dear God dont STORE the gun in the truck.

LOTS of guns stolen that way. Quite a few over the past several weeks in the Greenwood area alone.

Please dont be THAT guy.

Oh, and what KW said. bullets in a fire are no biggie. bullets in a fire IN A CHAMBER are deadly. And while they may be DROP safe, they may not be CRASH safe.

So the takeaway is Dont store it in the car, and dont keep one in the pipe.

Yep... even the long guns in my home safe are loaded, but action open or closed on empty chamber. Pistol rounds likely wont make it out of my Johnson's 10ga walls, plus two 1" thick plaster walls, and some tile, so they remain loaded and chambered.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Was there ever a law that rifles had to be unloaded and ammo stored separate in a car, for Indiana? Was always told that back in the 70's and found out probably like 10 years ago you could carry fully loaded as told above….just wondered if the law changed at some point or was always bad info. Guy today told me a officer told him it was against the law to have a loaded rifle in a car….told him he was wrong.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Keep my 10.5” AR pistol behind my backseat in my crew cab truck. Magazine inserted chamber empty. Along with extra magazines for AR and carry pistol. No long gun laws in Indiana as far as transporting. I like my pistol for crossing state lines where rifles must be cased and ammo separate. AR pistol falls under my LTCH in many states that I frequent.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Now I'm confused as I remember the time when many carried their rifle/shotgun in a truck cab window rack and IIRC the obsolescence of those racks due to legislation regulating long gun carry in the cab of a truck. Aside from it probably not being prudent to display your favorite long gun in the back window, are you saying it's perfectly legal?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Keep my 10.5” AR pistol behind my backseat in my crew cab truck. Magazine inserted chamber empty. Along with extra magazines for AR and carry pistol. No long gun laws in Indiana as far as transporting. I like my pistol for crossing state lines where rifles must be cased and ammo separate. AR pistol falls under my LTCH in many states that I frequent.
    I’m looking at a 10.5 pistol for my next build.

Top Bottom