• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Trying to sight in my 1894 Cowboy today. The little adjustment screw for the rear sight broke. Now the gun is useless. I called Marlin. I guess I bought the rifle in 2008. They don't have parts for it anymore. He said they use a different rear sight now. I asked if he could send me one of those. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought he would just send it to me. It was going to cost over $30. I might put I ghost ring on it from Brownell's or something. On the bright side, my Rossi 92 was shooting real nice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So Marlin no longer has the parts you need. Happens.
    Maybe I am confused but you have owned the rifle for 9 plus years...???
    Maybe I am confused but are you of a mind they should just give you one...???
    Not aware that Marlin has a lifetime Warr. but I have been wrong before.

Just curious.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    So Marlin no longer has the parts you need. Happens.
    Maybe I am confused but you have owned the rifle for 9 plus years...???
    Maybe I am confused but are you of a mind they should just give you one...???
    Not aware that Marlin has a lifetime Warr. but I have been wrong before.

Just curious.

Who'd think they'd want to give quality service like Ruger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I was just curious as the message I got from the post was they should just send him an updated sight.
    Not knocking the OP just wondering if his rifle carried a lifetime warr. on it.
    If it does I would be PO'd to.
    If not step up and buy the parts. Heck I do that anyway. But that is just me.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    If you can, post a pic of the sight. I still have some Marlin sights/Marbles sights in my parts boxes and I might be able to fix you up. No guarantee, but worth a foto.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Serching for older sights is easy, Marlin doesn't have some older style parts, it's like if you need H&R parts (another Remington company now), you're screwed. Also, don't send your rifle to them to work on, just don't, you'll regret it now since the older workers are gone

Which means? You send them an Red Label, Security Six, Service Six, Deerfield, Deerstalker, 181 Series Mini 14, or even first gen SP101 lately? They'll say the same thing. Don't have parts, sorry, look elsewhere

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

This is probably my problem. I lost a screw for my Super Blackhawk. Ruger sends me an extra in case it happens again.

I was just curious as the message I got from the post was they should just send him an updated sight.
    Not knocking the OP just wondering if his rifle carried a lifetime warr. on it.
    If it does I would be PO'd to.
    If not step up and buy the parts. Heck I do that anyway. But that is just me.

I have never paid for repairs or parts on any firearm that I can remember. Just spoiled I guess. Warranty was only 5 years. That's what he told me anyways.

Order a peep sight from dr skinner at skinner sights. Might need to order a taller rear but the cowboys normally don't need it.

I am leaning this way. Are you familiar with the one from Brownells?

Marbles tang sight FTW and they look great.

It would be cool looking, but I'm afraid walking through the woods, and using my climbing tree stand, it might get in the way.

If you can, post a pic of the sight. I still have some Marlin sights/Marbles sights in my parts boxes and I might be able to fix you up. No guarantee, but worth a foto.

I have not been able to post pictures since photobucket got so greedy. The sight is good. I just need a tiny screw that measures .08 inches at the threads. I also found another Marlin sight that's non-adjustable on ebay for the 1894 for $24. Just not sure which direction I will go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have never paid for repairs or parts on any firearm that I can remember. Just spoiled I guess. Warranty was only 5 years. That's what he told me anyways.

I have never sent a gun back in Warr. or no. I guess I spoiled myself. I will fix it myself or utilize those I know can do the work.
    I have gotten some free parts from a few Manf. like Ruger/S&W/Vortex etc but they were just little bits & pieces.

I did send a 1911 to SA for custom work once. Was not all that impressed with what I got back.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have never sent a gun back in Warr. or no. I guess I spoiled myself. I will fix it myself or utilize those I know can do the work.
    I have gotten some free parts from a few Manf. like Ruger/S&W/Vortex etc but they were just little bits & pieces.

I did send a 1911 to SA for custom work once. Was not all that impressed with what I got back.

I just remembered. I have bought BHP extractors for my Hi-Power clones. I fixed those myself. I just got done watching Hickok45 shooting 2 different Marlin Cowboy rifles. Both had Skinner peep sights. I think I will be going that route.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I tell you what. I seem to remember that I might have the outside meat of the sight. I don't think I have the small center insert however. Let me look in the morning and I'll confirm one way or another.

If I have it, we can go pm and I'll ship it to you. It's just sitting there. I haven't worked on Marlin levers in a few years, so you're welcome to it if I have it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I tell you what. I seem to remember that I might have the outside meat of the sight. I don't think I have the small center insert however. Let me look in the morning and I'll confirm one way or another.

If I have it, we can go pm and I'll ship it to you. It's just sitting there. I haven't worked on Marlin levers in a few years, so you're welcome to it if I have it.

Ingo rocks.....:thumbsup:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Order a peep sight from dr skinner at skinner sights. Might need to order a taller rear but the cowboys normally don't need it.

+1,000%

Marlin sights suck anyway, and unless you have specific use for a flip-up tang sight, they make poor choice.

Skinner sights are so nice they almost make me want to buy a couple just for spares for future rifles.

http://www.skinnersights.com/1894_marlin_33.html

-Nate

Last edited:
    Top Bottom