• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I would like to buy a 2nd hand stripped lower. If I buy one from an individual, it most likely will have been originally assembled as I rifle. I suppose I should have it registered to me as a receiver if I intend to assemble it as a pistol. Am I over thinking this? For the relatively low cost, should I just buy new to begin with? Damn ARs are addictive. Thanks

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I would like to buy a 2nd hand stripped lower. If I buy one from an individual, it most likely will have been originally assembled as I rifle. I suppose I should have it registered to me as a receiver if I intend to assemble it as a pistol. Am I over thinking this? For the relatively low cost, should I just buy new to begin with? Damn ARs are addictive. Thanks

If you are that concerned about it why are you planning to buy a used lower?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Yes you are seriously over thinking this.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Not sure where you would "register" it, unless you were building an SBR.

As far as what it used to be, a rifle stays a rifle. If it's on paper anywhere being a rifle, it should be built as one. If you have no knowledge of it ever being a rifle, I'd say build whatever you want.

If the person you bought it from filled out the 4473, ask them what it was transferred as. As long as it was transferred as "other," you should be fine. Otherwise just go off of what you do know.

IANAL but I doubt you'll be in a position for someone to run the serial.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Don't buy a stripped lower unless it has never been built into anything.

And since that means the buyer would have bought it as a stripped lower, odds are strongly that it was "other" when purchased and you're GTG.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    Don't buy a stripped lower unless it has never been built into anything.

And since that means the buyer would have bought it as a stripped lower, odds are strongly that it was "other" when purchased and you're GTG.

Why not buy a stripped lower if it has been built?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Why not buy a stripped lower if it has been built?

It he is building a rifle? NP if it was purchased as a pistol. If it was originally purchased as a rifle it can not legally be turned in to a pistol. It would he a SBR at that point. But you can convert a pistol to a rifle, NP. Yeah stupid rules, but rules is rules. You can not buy a 100% stripped receiver without declaring what you are building.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I hate to be contrarian, but I don't understand the issue the same as the guys above.

ATF clarified this back in 2011.

ARs are not inherently designed as rifle only, so you can change back and forth between rifle and pistol so long as you never have a rifle (gun designed to be fired from the shoulder) with a barrel less than 16" or an overall length less than 26". As I understand the ruling (linked below) reconfiguring an AR from its non-NFA-regulated rifle form to its non-NFA-regulated pistol form is not "making" a firearm and so not illegal.

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

"Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).

"Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol)."

Top Bottom