Sig Sauer TANGO4 rifle scope, quick look...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I was lucky enough to get one of these from Bryan at Top Shelf Tactical to do a quick look review on and have to say I'm very impressed with this scope. The glass clarity is amazing and I absolutely love the reticle design. Its a 30mm tube, with illumination side focus and 6-24x magnification range. I was wondering about the Sig scope products and have to say their a nice piece for sure...

[video=youtube;ndZVpQ_LzCA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndZVpQ_LzCA&t=23s[/video]

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Actually bought the scope that was used in this review to put on my Aero Precision M5 308. Glass is exceptionally clear edge to edge even up to 24x. Images have excellent contrast and very bright. It'll probably be spring before I can see how it tracks. Sniper Central got a 1.2% error rate on the tracking test with this scope in the 4-16x version. Anything under 3% is considered very good. Turrets are very tactile. Only thing is that the paralax knob is pretty stiff. Hard to beat this optic for $750 new. IMHO, it's a better deal than a PST.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Actually bought the scope that was used in this review to put on my Aero Precision M5 308. Glass is exceptionally clear edge to edge even up to 24x. Images have excellent contrast and very bright. It'll probably be spring before I can see how it tracks. Sniper Central got a 1.2% error rate on the tracking test with this scope in the 4-16x version. Anything under 3% is considered very good. Turrets are very tactile. Only thing is that the paralax knob is pretty stiff. Hard to beat this optic for $750 new. IMHO, it's a better deal than a PST.

Honestly I have to agree. The build quality seems to be a bit better along with better glass clarity, not to mention I really love the reticle design on the Tango4. I suspect one its used a bit more the parallax knob will become easier to move. I did a quick box check of when I had the Tango4 and it was spot on. All in all if I was looking for a higher end optic, Id go with one of these for sure...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Just picked up a like new Tango6 for $600.....wow. Sig is doing some good things. Seems to be every bit on par with the Bushnell Elites, and just a bit nicer than my Weaver tac. Definitely on par with the other stuff coming out of LOW Japan at that price level and maybe a bit nicer. Next step up IMHO is the Razor Gii. I think this is a really nice middle ground between some of the Philippine made scopes like the PST and the higher end Japanese stuff like the Razor Gii.

I need to get my hands on the Tango 4 to check them out as well.

Its a great day in age when optics this nice are so dang reasonably priced. You really don’t have to spend more on optics than a rifle like you used to.

Wonder what AA has to say about these?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just picked up a like new Tango6 for $600.....wow. Sig is doing some good things. Seems to be every bit on par with the Bushnell Elites, and just a bit nicer than my Weaver tac. Definitely on par with the other stuff coming out of LOW Japan at that price level and maybe a bit nicer. Next step up IMHO is the Razor Gii. I think this is a really nice middle ground between some of the Philippine made scopes like the PST and the higher end Japanese stuff like the Razor Gii.

Its a great day in age when optics this nice are so dang reasonably priced. You really don’t have to spend more on optics than a rifle like you used to.

Yes they are their making some very nice stuff, technology has started to catch up with the times so top speak. I have to say my "go to" scope has been the Athlon Argos BTR IMO hands down the best scope out for the price point, but if I were to step it up a bit id defiantly go with one of the SIGs.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

Where did you find a NIB tango 6 for $600!? What power range is it?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Like new in box. Bought off of another forum.

2-12x for my AR.

Both set to 12x, it has just as nice of glass (maybe a smidge nicer) on an overcast day as my weaver tac looking at woods, rooflines, lights, etc... all the things you’d look at for chromatic aberration, flare, etc... Both built by LOW Japan. Everything seems better executed on the sig though (reticle, turrets, illumination, etc...).

Where did you find a NIB tango 6 for $600!? What power range is it?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I have no experience with them, so I have nothing to say. Until a company proves to me they are in the optics game for the long haul I pay no attention to them. To many companies like Wotac have been the greatest thing since sliced bread, only to go out of business (in Sigs case out of the optics business) and leave their/My customers holding a broken paper wieght.

I can say this, Sig is next on my list to consider. Athlon is all the rage on Facebook, but there company is run just like every other company who has gone out of business in the first 5 years, so to say I'm sceptical is an understatement. We will just have to see how things pan out over the years.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I took your advise and went Vortex instead of athlon for my 3gun rifle. I’m in agreement and I’ll give them a few more years to make sure that company doesn’t fold before spending money there.

Im figuring Sig is in this for the long haul though. From what I understand, they are doing things right and hired a few well established optical engineers from reputable places. And the company is well established enough in general, and I trust they’ll take care of their customers even if their optics division closes.

Definitely interested to hear your thoughts if you ever get your hands on a Tango 4 or 6. Always good to hear from a professional how you think they compare to the rest of the market offerings.

I have no experience with them, so I have nothing to say. Until a company proves to me they are in the optics game for the long haul I pay no attention to them. To many companies like Wotac have been the greatest thing since sliced bread, only to go out of business (in Sigs case out of the optics business) and leave their/My customers holding a broken paper wieght.

I can say this, Sig is next on my list to consider. Athlon is all the rage on Facebook, but there company is run just like every other company who has gone out of business in the first 5 years, so to say I'm sceptical is an understatement. We will just have to see how things pan out over the years.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I took your advise and went Vortex instead of athlon for my 3gun rifle. I’m in agreement and I’ll give them a few more years to make sure that company doesn’t fold before spending money there.

Im figuring Sig is in this for the long haul though. From what I understand, they are doing things right and hired a few well established optical engineers from reputable places. And the company is well established enough in general, and I trust they’ll take care of their customers even if their optics division closes.

Definitely interested to hear your thoughts if you ever get your hands on a Tango 4 or 6. Always good to hear from a professional how you think they compare to the rest of the market offerings.

They are running it correctly to stay in business, and they are getting deep into it, so I see promise. Athlon runs their business exactly to the tee the way the last couple "big things" have ran theirs that folded in a few years. That's the only thing that concerns me about their product. If you look at a Vortex, Sig, Leupold, Sightron, etc those companies just don't do business like Athlon. Maybe Athlon has it figured out, but I know for a fact the other companies who have tried to operate the way they do didn't have it figured out. Vortex ran their business different than anyone had seen about 10 years ago, and it obviously worked out, so mabye Athlon has some hope.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I will assure everyone that Athlon won’t be going anywhere but up. They do not run their business exactly like any other but do have similarities to several of the big players, with arguably better customer service and same type of lifetime warranty compared to Vortex that most are familiar with. We are starting to see more and more Athlon Optics in the winning circle of the big PRS matches and soon we will likely see a world record set with an Athlon scope atop the rifle(in the process currently). There is big reason they are becoming more and more popular. I remember when Vortex was in its infant stages and the exact things were said about that company. You are not going to find more features or better glass quality for your money than from Athlon.

The founders of Athlon come from the optics industry. Bushnell to be exact and were part of developing the elite tactical line.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I will assure everyone that Athlon won’t be going anywhere but up. They do not run their business exactly like any other but do have similarities to several of the big players, with arguably better customer service and same type of lifetime warranty compared to Vortex that most are familiar with. We are starting to see more and more Athlon Optics in the winning circle of the big PRS matches and soon we will likely see a world record set with an Athlon scope atop the rifle(in the process currently). There is big reason they are becoming more and more popular. I remember when Vortex was in its infant stages and the exact things were said about that company. You are not going to find more features or better glass quality for your money than from Athlon.

The founders of Athlon come from the optics industry. Bushnell to be exact and were part of developing the elite tactical line.

Wow didn't know that, thanks for the info..

I have to say I've been very impressed with all the Athlon products I've looked at thus far, fact of the matter is unless people take a chance on something when it was in its infancy no company would survive. With the quality I've seen thus far as well as being backed by the warranty they have if you were to need it. I have no problem at all running their products..

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    They do not run their business exactly like any other but do have similarities to several of the big players

Im not trying to start an argument, but they do run their business a lot like the companies that went out. I'm looking a little more at the long game than most people do. In time, I might be the biggest Athlon supporter in the world, but for myself, my customers, and my reputation (that I might add, Ive worked very hard to earn) I want to see how the company pan's out.

You are absolutely correct, that folks said the same thing about Vortex years ago. I took a chance, and it obliviously played out well for me. I like to think, I know a little more about the inner workings of the industry today than I once did. Maybe that has made me over cautious, or maybe that has made me wiser. I'm honestly not sure which. That's why you don't see me saying Yea, or Nea about these products. I keep my mount shut, and ears open until I make up my own mind. I only chime in when specifically ask a question. I will not be posting in this thread again.

And yes, this is the 5th time Ive edited this post trying to decide what to say..

Last edited:

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I looked into the Athlon but found another brand. They are Styrka. All my scopes are currently Vortex but want something different. I don't hunt or engage in competition so I'm not into sub-MOA or high cost/overpriced scopes. I am looking at the Styrka S7 models since they are priced right.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Athlon runs their business exactly to the tee the way the last couple "big things" have ran theirs that folded in a few years.

Im not trying to start an argument, but they do run their business a lot like the companies that went out.

Surely there will be no argument, but you go from stating they run their business exactly like to have a lot of similarities to componies that have not succeeded. While there may be similarities, I’ll guarantee you can find some similarities in every company out there with their competitors that have failed. Athlon however does have their ducks in a row so to speak and have taken bits and pieces as well as their own models to succeed. I too have seen several other companies pop up and quickly fizzle to the way side. I however have not seen a company take foot in this industry such as Athlon has since Vortex came to market.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Surely there will be no argument, but you go from stating they run their business exactly like to have a lot of similarities to componies that have not succeeded. While there may be similarities, I’ll guarantee you can find some similarities in every company out there with their competitors that have failed. Athlon however does have their ducks in a row so to speak and have taken bits and pieces as well as their own models to succeed. I too have seen several other companies pop up and quickly fizzle to the way side. I however have not seen a company take foot in this industry such as Athlon has since Vortex came to market.

I changed my wording in that last post many times trying not to sound so abrasive. "a lot" in the second post should has stayed with "exactly".

I will give them credit, when they first burst on to the scene, I thought they would be gone by now.

Top Bottom