Spear fishing for lionfish - it's coming Monday!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We are taking a fall break trip to Fort Walton Beach next week and booked a fishing charter on a six-person boat. Part of the trip includes an optional spear fishing dive to kill lionfish or other fish if we prefer. I hate the concept of lion fish and want to take out as many as possible. The captain will be diving with me and he says if no one has cleaned the area recently we may nail 25-50 pounds of the jerks.

Anyone do this before? I want to get into spear fishing and what an awesome way to start :rockwoot:

[video=youtube;CKw7jW4P3v0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKw7jW4P3v0[/video]

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I will have my GoPro knockoff wrist mounted :):

i have heard they are very tasty. Mmm... lionfish...

also so you can sell them for $4-6/pound at the dock fish market

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    We did it a year ago in the Caymans. Once we got back at the dock we used a pair of medic scissors and cut the spines off, skinned and filet them. THey make great ceviche..

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I was on a dive a few years ago where the dive master was doing it. One of the deck hands was showing off for the camera and got nailed pretty bad. He must have had a serious reaction to it because his hand more than doubled in size before we got back to the shop.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I bought a fake gold bar on Amazon. Going to take it down with me diving and bring it up to tell kids I found gold! Already told them we are fishing on old shipwrecks

i'm YMCA certified and can't find my card so I use an email from 2011 from the guy that bought their records when they closed down. Reallly need to convert that to PADI

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just picked up my gear. The hurricane has destroyed visibility. Apparently it is 6 to 10 feet right now. Usually 60 to 100 feet. I like to have a good visibility so I could see bad things coming :(

Just like that it is over. Strong winds out of the north and we are staying in close to shore. No spearfishing

Last edited:

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    What? I was looking forward to the story about the gold bar. And wanted to see the lion fish hunt darn it. Well I sure hope rest of your time with family is fun

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yeah it was disappointing that we couldn't do that, but fishing was fun.

we were out of season for triggerfish and red snapper but we caught a lot of them. Two king mackerel and a Spanish mackerel were keepers. One Spanish was an inch too short. Lots of mingo snapper. I had a large red snapper on and a freaking bull shark cut it in half just below the wAter. Awesome! My brother hooked a 7' bull shark and brought it to the surface.

Kids did well. They weighed fish in at the Destin Rodeo and got a free fishing pole for their efforts. All in all an awesome time. We also had a few remoras. I stuck one on my arm and took a few pics. Surreal to say the least :):

Top Bottom