• ...and so much more!
  • gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    All,

I haven't seen anyone post on here lately about this but its pretty big news. You now CAN NOT hunt on public land with any sort of rifle. That includes Pistol Caliber Rifles that were previously legal. This emial just came out, roughly 5:30PM 10.11.2017
    DNR_Update_10.11.2017.PNG

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Yep. Just received it too. That sucks because my stand is literally right on the line with my private property and state property. Deer walks to my left I can use rifle , deer walks to my right nope. Guess I'll get the ml back out.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Please call your state representative and discuss this issue.

I personally think this is even more stupid than how they enacted rifle cartridges last year. (calling out certain cartridges on one line then a caliber on the next)

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I got it too. Very disappointing as I thought we were moving in the opposite direction.

We are moving in the opposite direction. Unfortunately the laws are being made by people that know absolutely nothing about firearms or hunting. We take 2 steps forward and 1 step back. They were attempting to fix their ignorant mistake of last year making only .243 and .30 legal. They blundered again trying to fix it. Hopefully by 2018 they will actually get it fixed.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

What legislation?????????????? I never heard of this!!!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    We are moving in the opposite direction. Unfortunately the laws are being made by people that know absolutely nothing about firearms or hunting. We take 2 steps forward and 1 step back. They were attempting to fix their ignorant mistake of last year making only .243 and .30 legal. They blundered again trying to fix it. Hopefully by 2018 they will actually get it fixed.

I'm not so sure you are directing the blame at the correct source. Comparing the text of the law passed this year to the one passed in 2016 it appears that the only revisions were to the description of legal rifle cartridges from the .243 and .30 caliber in 2016 to the .243 and up of 2017. So either the DNR got it wrong last year in allowing PCRs on public property or someone decided to interpret it differently this year and not allow them. Either way, at least the legislators got things moving in the right direction as opposed to the DNR that refused to make the change.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    My take is that this makes it harder for a person to take a lever action 30.30 that looks almost the same as the 44 or 357 onto public land. Or any rifle now. I just do not understand the change being made so close to the start of the season. I am sure this will effect the state park reduction hunts as well.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I called my Representative and Senator to voice concern over the recent DNR announcement and HB1415 as a whole. I was the first to call in from my district with concerns over this.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Where is the 10 round limit on all rifles?

Did they not put this into the "new" rules? I sure hope so. At least that is a partial victory in this cluster****.

I'm rooting for getting the private ground /public ground separation eliminated next year and going forward.

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    I'm not sure why this 10 round rule is so important , but it's still in effect . If you would go to the In.gov site , all the rules and changes are there.

Top Bottom