• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Anyone else notice more OC?

Seems the last couple of months I have noticed more people open carrying? I would like to think I 'm just being more observant due to the training I've had this year? OR possibly with all that is happening more people are taking up the torch?
    What do you think INGO?

PS.. I'll say it again, if you ARE carrying OC or CC training is you friend.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I see it once a week or so in Tippecanoe County.
    Been that way for a year or two.
    Menards, Payless, Fazoli's, trash transfer station, gas stations...

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Agreed. Here in the NE area, I have seen more carrying in the last couple of years that I have seen before. But again, I am with you in the aspect of..... is it just me noticing it more or is it really happening more.

But the more I think through it, the more people I personally know who are now carrying now days. I can think of a dozen or so people who have got their license and carry now in the last 8 or so years.

My emphasis now is getting as many people as possible to get some real training. NOT a book or video...that doesn't count. A book or video cannot critique and evaluate your fundamentals and technique at the range.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Rarely see OC. Saw it once this week. Cop off duty at gas station. He said it was his duty gun.
    Orher than that almost never. I see CC (done poorly enough to let me notice) but most people would not have noticed.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I see it once a week or so in Tippecanoe County.
    Been that way for a year or two.
    Menards, Payless, Fazoli's, trash transfer station, gas stations...

I saw a younger guy with 4 kids ( ages 3 to 7) open carrying at Pepe's. Personally, I think a whip and a chair would have been sufficient....but, to each his own.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I work retail and we do see more today than we did five years ago. Used to be we would hear on the radio "there's a man wearing a gun in aisle XX". Haven't heard that in years. Have also seen some open carry at fast food restaurants that made me nervous. If I believed in profiling (which I do) I would believe that they were not "Proper People", but since I am not a trained profiler I just eat fast and leave.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Yes see it a lot more around here lately. Seems everytime at my local Kroger I see one or two. I always point it out to my wife and identify what type of weapon it is for fun. Our radio calls have slowed down guess people are getting used to it. Still a bad practice in my opinion.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I am more aware of my surroundings than ever so I can't say if there's more going on than before.
    I chalk it up to the situational awareness.
    Even those that aren't practiced in the S.A. get enough of a brainwashing here to start seeing the world around them.
    I'd give INGO Rep IF I could.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The old "element of surprise" just can't live up to its Hollywood hype for most folks as they actual think through carrying for self defense.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    As some of you may know, I work at an indoor range. Part of my daily routine is being range officer. A LOT of people come into the range each day, remove their EDC from its holster, get on target, pull the trigger, and.......no boom! They look puzzled, check the weapon, sometimes it's the safety, sometimes they rack the slide to chamber a round, sometimes the damn thing doesn't even have a magazine in it! I'd guess at least 20% of carriers, OC or CC, have no idea what condition the firearm is in when they remove it from its holster. That being said, I talk to a bunch of new gun owners every day, and the overwhelming majority WANT TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT RIGHT. I don't doubt that there are many more people carrying now than even a few years ago, I'm certain of it, as a matter of fact, it is very eye opening to have the opportunity to see just HOW all those people carry.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    As some of you may know, I work at an indoor range. Part of my daily routine is being range officer. A LOT of people come into the range each day, remove their EDC from its holster, get on target, pull the trigger, and.......no boom! They look puzzled, check the weapon, sometimes it's the safety, sometimes they rack the slide to chamber a round, sometimes the damn thing doesn't even have a magazine in it! I'd guess at least 20% of carriers, OC or CC, have no idea what condition the firearm is in when they remove it from its holster. That being said, I talk to a bunch of new gun owners every day, and the overwhelming majority WANT TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT RIGHT. I don't doubt that there are many more people carrying now than even a few years ago, I'm certain of it, as a matter of fact, it is very eye opening to have the opportunity to see just HOW all those people carry.

After many years of visiting different ranges and a former instructor I would agree with the 20% not knowing what's going on. I firmly believe everyone that is going to carry should attend some kind of training. I'm not saying high speed SWAT style but just the basics of handling,safety,and accuracy. Most would have fun doing it and learning at the same time. Just my two cents worth................

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    jmarriott was it a scrawny young balding guy with a g17 w/ tlr-1? i had a guy stop me and make small talk about my gun the other day in a gas station. i mentioned it was my work gun and he wasn't impressed with us carrying 9mm :rolleyes:.

I have noticed more people carrying but i have also been pretty much living out of gas stations where you see all kinds of folks.

Top Bottom