• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    ..............[FONT=&quot]but removed the ability for any rifle to be used on public land for deer hunting[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]House Enrolled Act 1415 allows some additional rifle cartridges to be used on private land during the deer firearms season, but removed the ability for any rifle to be used on public land for deer hunting. "Public land" includes both state and federal property.

I'm done hunting or fishing in INDIANA....................................[/FONT]
    :noway:

Boycott should get their attention, of some very backward bureaucrats in the IDNR & Legislature.
    They may not need the money lost though because they are SWIMMING IN MONEY FROM 10% federal funds on ALL sales of hunting & fishing equipment.

Just one soul at a time................

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Not a DUPE. This one Advocates Change and comments there on..................... thanks

The thread you say is a dup is only talking about handgun cartridges in rifles. What about guns the meet the 1.8 inch limit rifle cartridges like the 45-70 govt case shortened or the .35 Remington case shortened or the famous AJ Brown's .358 hoosier. The title of this thread is different................IMHO

Last edited:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    And it's NOT DNR causing the problem here. They have to enforce the law as passed by our legislature. And when the idiots there screw things up horribly by NOT proofreading or even understanding what they are passing (gee, ever heard THAT one before?!?!?!), DNR is stuck holding us accountable for idiotic rules that should have never have been enacted as-is.

Put the blame where it should be...and use the opportunity to let our duly elected idiots...er, legislators...know how you feel.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Interesting thing about this problem is consider how many people directly understand this mistake, it's a big number.

Now consider leadership screw ups that only a handful of law or accounting firms understand.

How many do you suppose there are every month.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Blame reside with IDNR! Legislature gave it to IDNR last year by pushing rifles over the "rejection of rifles" by IDNR in 2015. They got tattooed & screwed good without any of their input.
    Now, time for payback! To make it worse idnr WAITED UNTIL 30 days prior to the season to inform hunters of the RIFLE BAN on PUBLIC LAND, state & federal. What about guys that bought rifles thinking they were legal. INDIANA DNR & LEGISLATURE REALLY GAVE IT TO HOOSIERS THAT HUNT ON PUBLIC LAND!

For me, I am headed to West Virginia this year for deer. They know how to treat hunters and welcome out-of-state money............ To hell with Indiana hunting or fishing..............

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Blame reside with IDNR! Legislature gave it to IDNR last year by pushing rifles over the "rejection of rifles" by IDNR in 2015. They got tattooed & screwed good without any of their input.
    Now, time for payback! To make it worse idnr WAITED UNTIL 30 days prior to the season to inform hunters of the RIFLE BAN on PUBLIC LAND, state & federal. What about guys that bought rifles thinking they were legal. INDIANA DNR & LEGISLATURE REALLY GAVE IT TO HOOSIERS THAT HUNT ON PUBLIC LAND!

For me, I am headed to West Virginia this year for deer. They know how to treat hunters and welcome out-of-state money............ To hell with Indiana hunting or fishing..............

other states are way better. Like when the equipment section reads “ANY centerfire rifle” like Kentucky’s reads.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I was hoping that a bunch of hunters would trade their pistol caliber rifles for "rifle caliber" rifles, and then find out that they couldn't hunt on public land anymore.

Then, I get my National Forest hunting spot all to myself.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I was hoping that a bunch of hunters would trade their pistol caliber rifles for "rifle caliber" rifles, and then find out that they couldn't hunt on public land anymore.

Then, I get my National Forest hunting spot all to myself.
    It's not about less hunting pressure on public lands. The pressure moves the deer and the hunting can be a lot of fun. It's about the IDNR sneaking this annoucement that ALL Rifles can not be used on state or federal public grounds. There is NO SOUND REASON IDNR to justify this...........except It's the LAW!!!!!!!!!!! They won't even discuss it>>>>>>>>>>>>>> so let them eat cake. like I said, less license sales won't affect IDNR.................. they are growing FAT on Robinson-Pittman 10% excise taxes and are too busy finding Private venders to RUN ALL of the Public IDNR shooting ranges that have been free for years...................... I'm done******, the writing is on wall with the Corrupt IDNR

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How much of the DNR's operating budget comes from deer licences?

IMHO- The DNR is just as much to blame as the legislature. It is their job to stewart this through the legislature. Still not convinced that someone along the line didn't want it this way.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    It's not about less hunting pressure on public lands. The pressure moves the deer and the hunting can be a lot of fun. It's about the IDNR sneaking this annoucement that ALL Rifles can not be used on state or federal public grounds. There is NO SOUND REASON IDNR to justify this...........except It's the LAW!!!!!!!!!!! They won't even discuss it>>>>>>>>>>>>>> so let them eat cake. like I said, less license sales won't affect IDNR.................. they are growing FAT on Robinson-Pittman 10% excise taxes and are too busy finding Private venders to RUN ALL of the Public IDNR shooting ranges that have been free for years...................... I'm done******, the writing is on wall with the Corrupt IDNR

"There is NO SOUND REASON IDNR to justify this...........except It's the LAW!!!!!!!!!!! "

So basically, there is a sound reason, the law as passed by our legislators. Honestly, I dont see how this is the DNR's fault.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It is entirely the DNR's fault because they cherry picked a line and took it out of context.

If this blatant disregard for the law continues, maybe the new DNR director will rename the dept to "9th Circuit Court of Appeals".

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    "There is NO SOUND REASON IDNR to justify this...........except It's the LAW!!!!!!!!!!! "

So basically, there is a sound reason, the law as passed by our legislators. Honestly, I dont see how this is the DNR's fault.

CORRECTION: The IDNR has NO REASON to BAN rifles on PUBLIC LANDS ...................IF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>they are allowed on PRIVATE LANDS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

oh yes, Resident HUNTERS ON PRIVATE LANDS pay 4 times as much in taxes!!!!!!!!!!! oh, no they don't.

IDNR is to blame................they have a committee that meets to approve changes each Spring at some old rickety shanty @ Ft. Harrison State Park.

2015 that committee rejected the IDNR wildlife recommendation ( correction) IDNR wildlife "withdrew" their recommendation that RIFLE Hunting for DEER would cause no biological problems with deer extinction.

2016 Legislature allowed "screw ball" list of 5 calibers of rifle to hunt deer ON PRIVATE property. IDNR had no input,

2017 NO Rifles for deer on PUBLIC Lands in Indiana..........................IDNR ???????????????we might fix in January 2018 or ???????? we have no one in charge who knows how to issue an EXECUTIVE Administrative Ruling like they did when allowing HANDGUNS for deer in 1986.

Back in 1986, IDNR approved deer hunting with handguns, issued administrative order to allow them during "gun season" using a "shotgun tag"

Current IDNR have no brains or balls************ to fix this*********************,bye bye to my licenses for the lesser state of indiana .;

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Go ahead and burn your license........it's a great publicity stunt.
    Just reprint it and hunt.
    :)

The current DNR has plenty of brains and balls, because that combination allowed them to start this nonsense by GROSS misinterpretation of the law.
    There was no "mistake".

Whoever pulled this stunt needs fired. Dunno if we will ever know who all went along with it.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Go ahead and burn your license........it's a great publicity stunt.
    Just reprint it and hunt.
    :)

It's not a STUNT............. I enjoy hunting. I enjoy hunting & fishing following the rules.............. I will hunt deer in the wild wonderful state of West Virginia like I have been doing since 1987. Rifles are legal, except rimfire & .22 centerfire or less. good ole boy common sense. and just 5 hours drive & camp.

IDNR can smell the "smoke"................... but hell they don't care............... this occurred on their watch....................and is well deserved..............................bye bye bye

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You say "occur" like it was happenstance.

The DNR did not make a mistake. Burning one's license in protest might indeed be the thing to do..........if they do so because they understand how the DNR was dishonest.

Kinda like the NFL taking a knee over a dead thug shot by police..........when Chicago has murder and mayhem killing way more (daily), and not all thugs.

Protest the great (er) injustice.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    THE IDNR made a mistake.
    IDNR has not one in their employ who knows how to fix it.
    They only offer some hypotheticals...............maybe we can fix in January??????????????/
    may not be able to fix by start of the 2017 deer season..........

My burning my licenses is a personal choice to void the current contract and end any future renewals.
    It's done on this forum ..............
    has SQUAT to do with the clowns of the NFL which makes me sick.
    I'm not sick about the burning of my licenses & refusal to hunt or fish in INDIANA.........

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you think the IDNR made mistake, and want to burn your license in protest. So be it.

I however think this fiasco is not the product of incompetence.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Not a DUPE. This one Advocates Change and comments there on..................... thanks

The thread you say is a dup is only talking about handgun cartridges in rifles. What about guns the meet the 1.8 inch limit rifle cartridges like the 45-70 govt case shortened or the .35 Remington case shortened or the famous AJ Brown's .358 hoosier. The title of this thread is different................IMHO
    Uh, the cartridges you listed ARE "handgun" cartridges being used in a rifle. There is no magical differentiation in the legal definition. They either meet the parameters and they are legally "handgun cartridges" (despite the fact that their use may be most prevalent in rifles), or they don't meet the parameters and they are not "handgun cartridges". The entire reason the cartridges you listed were developed and in use for hunting is BECAUSE they met the definition of handgun cartridges.

Top Bottom