• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Does anyone on here use an AR for home defense with kids in the house? How do you store it on a nightly basis where it would not pose danger to kids in the house? My kids are fine around guns, they leave them alone. However, I'd like to be responsible with storage and still have it accessible should the need arise. All suggestions will be helpful.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Not sure I understand. Is it your primary PM defensive weapon? Do your kids sleep with you? Is it the fact you cannot fit it into a vault box, which gives you pause?

Not sure I see an issue, if it's with you, and the kids sleep elsewhere...

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Not sure I understand. Is it your primary PM defensive weapon? Do your kids sleep with you? Is it the fact you cannot fit it in a vault box?
    I'd like to use my rifle for HD. My kids don't sleep with me, but it feels irresponsible to keep a loaded gun within reach of an unsupervised kid should they wake up and come in at night. My best idea so far is to store it with an empty chamber and the safety on. But, if there is some way I could store it where access to kids would be limited and I could still access it quickly, I'd like to do that.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I like the Hornady RAPiD wall mounted quick-access safes. They can be opened quickly using an access code or you can wear an RFID wristband that will automatically open the safe when your hand gets near it. They are a little pricey (around $200), but they are the best compromise I've found between ease of access and security.

1.-Rico-Nance-Hornady-Safes-0871.jpg

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Remember that any storage you put between you and your gun is time that you need the gun and don't have it. You might consider a wall mount if you just want to keep it out of the reach of the tiny humans.

My rifle stays unchambered with the safety on and my 4-year-old nephew has never been an issue. If he ever did get handsy, he's not strong enough to work the charging handle. The only time it goes in the locker is when the house is left empty.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...it feels irresponsible to keep a loaded gun within reach of an unsupervised kid should they wake up and come in at night...

Unless you are a midget or your kid is an NBA prospect perhaps just a high location the kid cannot reach at night.

This is not a solution for other times as nothing is truly out of reach of a determined kid with enough time alone to climb or construct a ladder.

Last edited:

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Can the kids work the action of the rifle? If not, you could store it like I do mine; loaded mag, empty chamber, hammer down. Might invest in a can, too. More weight & length, but will protect the hearing of any people/pets if you need to use it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Near you when in the house, in your control.

When not, either in the vault or in one of those wall-mounted quick access safes.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    How about a couple of hooks right above your headboard? Kids would have to climb over you to get to the rifle. You could dress it up so the wifey is okay with it. Maybe a fancy shelf with the hooks on the bottom.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    If I used a AR for home defense and had small kids I would probably go this route.

[video=youtube_share;TRiUIRf43pY]http://youtu.be/TRiUIRf43pY[/video]

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My fave HD weaponry is as follows....the dog...the steel doors...the good locks...a Mossburg 500 loaded with various flavors of shot....the sound of sliding the pump makes a lot of bad guys run...I sleep like a dead man so the dog, the wife and the sound of her firing the gun might not even wake me up.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Bolt closed, chamber EMPTY .....

Loaded magazine close when you sleep,

LOAD, rack, and shoot .....

JMHO ..... YMMV .....

For ARs, I think the charged magazine should be seated in a rifle that is maintained for immediate defensive use (chamber empty, bolt and ejection port cover closed).

It's surprising how many people . . . even those who are well trained and practice frequently . . . will fail to seat a magazine properly under stress. "Push/pull" should always be part of the manual of arms, but when you may need it right away, I don't want to risk not seating the mag on the first push.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    For ARs, I think the charged magazine should be seated in a rifle that is maintained for immediate defensive use (chamber empty, bolt and ejection port cover closed).

It's surprising how many people . . . even those who are well trained and practice frequently . . . will fail to seat a magazine properly under stress. "Push/pull" should always be part of the manual of arms, but when you may need it right away, I don't want to risk not seating the mag on the first push.
    After completing my first USPSA match I found that out the hard way. I screwed up with not seating mags twice. Good thing is it happened there and now I'm very conscious of it, but I agree, keep the mag in the rifle.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    After completing my first USPSA match I found that out the hard way. I screwed up with not seating mags twice. Good thing is it happened there and now I'm very conscious of it, but I agree, keep the mag in the rifle.

Push - Pull, every time!

I actually have a recurring dream in which I can't the magazine seated and locked.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a night stand by my head next to the bed. At night my HD AR is between the stand and the bed completely out of site. It is covered by a strategically placed sweatshirt and unless you "Know" it is there it is just not there. I put it there when I go to bed and return it to secure place when I get up. I feel confident with the available handguns during the day.

Top Bottom