• Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I like my CDE :thumbsup:
    Mine shoots good and never had a malfunction in it so far, in contrast to my Kimber TLE II

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Curious on this too. Been thinking about the ruger 10mm myself. Haven't heard alot of love for the newer colts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Both the Colt and the Ruger will work OK with run of the mill low velocity 10mm.
    I would not run full house loads in either one. The Delta was breaking early on and the ammo had some teeth pulled to quit hurting the Colts as I am to understand it.

I have 2 10mm's and opted for custom built so I can run what ever I wish.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I remember that....A bit of a black eye for Colt as well at a time when they didn't need a black eye....

At that time a standard factory 10mm round was a missile. When the Delta's started dropping parts and pieces, frames breaking (happened to a friends Delta) The factory pulled some of the Poop out of the off the shelf ammo so as not to break the guns.

I plink with 1100 FPS factory ammo.
    I get my "Boom" on with Underwood full house stuff. Also use some of the Wizards hand loads......Wowza. But I would not even consider running that hot in a Colt or a Ruger.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I never did understand what Colt though they were doing running what is essentially a rimless .41 mag in a platform designed to be a non-magnum pressure brick thrower. I certainly do like my nearly half-inch hollow tipped bricks, but that doesn't mean that the 1911 in its true and original form is equal to a task for which it was never designed.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    At that time a standard factory 10mm round was a missile. When the Delta's started dropping parts and pieces, frames breaking (happened to a friends Delta) The factory pulled some of the Poop out of the off the shelf ammo so as not to break the guns.

I plink with 1100 FPS factory ammo.
    I get my "Boom" on with Underwood full house stuff. Also use some of the Wizards hand loads......Wowza. But I would not even consider running that hot in a Colt or a Ruger.
    What speeds are considered hot loads? 1200, 1300, more?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What speeds are considered hot loads? 1200, 1300, more?

1200+ you start to see some heat.
    The full house Underwoods easily eclipse 1750 in a 5" barrel.
    My 6" 2011 in 10 mm has a ported barrel so the extra inch is really no advantage. I do have some insane SD rounds that Chrono past 1800 FPS and they do put on a light show muzzle flare.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1750! 1800! Wow! Wasn't thinking in that kind of range.

You will need a gun built to take that kind of heat.

Remington Green box UMC runs right at 1050 FPS and has enough bark to make you smile. When you run that in a commander length it is a hoot. Step up the heat and that gun is a manly gun.

Underwood can hook you up with about anything you need/want but get ready as it aint cheap.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Good bad or indifferent for a 10mm? I would like a hunting sidearm. Thanks for your input and experiences.

So 10mm to carry while hunting, or a 10mm to hunt with? The former, you can do about anything in 10mm. Personally, I've got a Delta Elite and Rock Island (cue the haters). They both shoot the same, for my money. Is the finish as nice on the RIA, certainly no, but the price tag isn't anywhere near as much.

If you want to hunt with it, I'd be looking at one of the long slide 1911 10mm. Not sure who even makes them anymore, I think maybe Remington has one...

For what it's worth, Rural King has the Rock Island 10mm GI 1911 online for $429.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have the CDE and the RIA (along with a crapton of other 10mms) and like them both. The new CDE doesn't have the breakage issues of the original, but it has the least supported chamber of ANY of my 10mms so I don't run my nuclear rounds through it. I posted a pic of it side by side with my stock G20 and LWD bbls a few years ago and it's pretty clear. I'm on my phone and don't care to do a search atm but it's on here for those who are curious.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Lot more expensive than a Ruger or Colt, but the Dan Wesson Bruin always make me smile.

Don't really have a use for one, but thought about buying one several times

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have fondled a pair of the newer RIA's in 10mm and I can honestly say they were really OK especially for the price point. How they will hold up to any serious shooting I can not say but just by that experience I might (thought about those 2) consider this.

Bhart89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2015
    McCordsville
    Any consideration to the Glock 20 or even better, the G40? I've got both and haven't shot the 20 since getting the 40. They soak up the snap of the 10mm round nicely.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I have fondled a pair of the newer RIA's in 10mm and I can honestly say they were really OK especially for the price point. How they will hold up to any serious shooting I can not say but just by that experience I might (thought about those 2) consider this.

I figure if you treat them the same as you would a Colt 10mm, in terms of ammo, they'll probably hold up just as good. Under $450 shipped plus tax is hard to beat for a 10mm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I figure if you treat them the same as you would a Colt 10mm, in terms of ammo, they'll probably hold up just as good. Under $450 shipped plus tax is hard to beat for a 10mm.

I have to agree. As long as you kept you head about you and stayed off the Underwood site.

The fit up on the last 4 or 5 RIA's I have seen (newer ones) were acceptable especially in the price range. Still have no idea how they will fare over a few years of use and possibly abuse.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    1200+ you start to see some heat.
    The full house Underwoods easily eclipse 1750 in a 5" barrel.
    My 6" 2011 in 10 mm has a ported barrel so the extra inch is really no advantage. I do have some insane SD rounds that Chrono past 1800 FPS and they do put on a light show muzzle flare.

At 1800fps I'm sure that's NOT a 180gr or 200gr projectile. You're probably running a 135gr bullet to get that velocity.

Top Bottom