custom MELTED revolver - I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Hi INGO!

I have now put a "carry melt" on several handguns over the years. To date it has always been on semiautomatic guns but lately I have been itching to customize a revolver - I settled on a Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel. I bought the gun new this week and got to work "melting" or "dehorning" it with dremel, files sand paper and polishing cloths. Got it back today from being blasted with #200 glass bead and upon reassembly I realized I had made a GIANT mistake. Not being very familiar with revolvers and the important design elements of the frame - I ground off the nub that keeps the cylinder from sliding off when swung out to reload. That area is circled here:

View attachment 59919

All other functionality is perfect but this obviously needs to be fixed. With the frame being stainless steel, I need to figure out someone who can mound back up that area so that the cylinder won't slide off. From there, I am comfortable grinding it to re-profile it - I just need some matching stainless steel added. I know zero about welding, etc and have no idea where to look to get this fixed. It would be AWESOME if there was an INGOer who knew what he/she was doing and could help me fix this.... any takers? I would be happy to help you "melt" a gun of your own in trade or could pay. I'm really excited to get this finished up and into a holster. I also added Goncalo Alves grips and have a Tritium front sight to install once I get this fixed.

Here are a couple of pics:

View attachment 59920 View attachment 59921

and if you are interested - here are photo journals of my other two melt projects:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/385029-kahr-pm9-carry-melt.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/339089-1911-compact-melt-project.html

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Live and learn... If you don't want to get into welding, I can envision drill and tap a small screw in that place. Maybe have it overhang the frame opening , then with the grinder shape it to replace the missing frame section. Before doing that loctite it in place, then you might be able to shape it and eliminate the slot, making it look as if it was always there. I hope i explained my thought process well enough.. lol.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If Allen can't do it, I know a guy in Peru that probably could. He's not an FFL, but he can weld just about anything.

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the help/input guys! This is my first revolver and I just didn't understand what that extra metal was there for.... one way or another I'll get it fixed. :)

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I think I would contact Ruger and see if they can fix it.
    If you are willing to pay to get it fixed call and see if you can email them the pics and if they can help, nothing beats a factory repair in my opinion.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ok please describe the "carry melt" and what you were attempting to achieve.

Been around long time polishing de bur honing with stones and such I have done. Never heard carry melt before.

The basic of revolver timing is something I have messed with a few times if can get confusing at times also.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    tig welding stainless is cake....much easyer then low carbon steel....I do it on a regular basis, the biggest quest ions you need to know or find some one with a lot of time under the hood, is what grade of stainless? Heat treated? Not all stainless steel are created equal.......Do we know is the frame cast? Forged? Or machined from bar stock?

I think I would contact Ruger.....hopefully they will at least give you the details to you can take your gun to the welder and he can save your frame

Good luck

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Simply put - it is taking off all of the sharp corners and hard edges to reduce reholstering snags and just gives an overall custom look/feel to the gun.

Top Bottom