• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm a newbie since May.
    I have had much fun buying and selling and renting at the range a bevy of 9mm and .38 specials to know which to choose.
    I have ended up with a S/W Shield 9mm ($280) and a .45 ($320 w/ammo), a Smith revolver 642 for personal carry (Carelas $300, from a tip here, (I'm a revolver guy), and a Smith 64-8 model for the home.

But, my heart is in the .22.
    I bought a new Ruger GP100 ($600 at Hoosier Armory) and a single-action western style ($110). Love to have the Ruger single-action but unwilling to spend the money since I went wild with the $600 Ruger 10 shot SS, which I love. Love to try out the Smith 617 to see if it is any "better" or more to my liking. I intended to buy the best since I'm old and I owned a dozen or more of cheap .22s from the late 70s to 1990 when I sold almost everything.
    I also discovered the 1911-22 and bought a Sig Sauer for $200 (cost me $100 to repair it :wallbash: : it was new, unfired, but had issues due to upgraded parts that weren't good, from CW Accessories). I have found a Colt/Walther for $200 and almost bought it also, but controlled myself.

I recently wanted to revive my love (from the late 80s when I had a Beretta) for tilt-up barrels and bought a Taurus PT22 ($160) and a Beretta 950 .25 ($225). Both were both from guys here, one of which has bought 3 guns off me and I have bought 2 off him: wonderful world, this INGO. :ingo:
    I'm looking and waiting to get a Beretta .32 but I'm only willing to pay $300, and I missed my chance to buy one 3 weeks ago b/c of my ignorance (didn't recognize it was a tilt-up barrel).

I have been tempted to buy other .22 handguns that have come along, but the revolvers are pricey (to me, b/c I try to pay around $200ish).
    There is a Ruger SR22 that a member here is selling for $225 that I am interested in, but I have done research and it seems the S/W M&P compact .22 is rated a little better, but I wonder if it is much of a different flavor than my 1911-22.
    I'm looking for different flavors of .22 not more of the same.

I bought and sold a Smith Victory early on: did nothing for me, being a revolver guy, which is why I was so surprised the 1911-22 lite me up so much.
    I would love to try out the Browning 1911-22 (b/c I've read such good things about them), but they are pricey, even at Hoosier Armory used there is one for $499, and to me they are over-priced.
    I want one for $300, but it isn't going to happen, and maybe it isn't any different than my Sig anyway.

I'm buying/selling houses right now, so my usual buy, try, then sell has to be constrained, or I would have already picked up the Ruger SR22 from pointer (priced right ar $225).
    Anyone into .22s that has owned this and that?

Last edited:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I'm looking at getting a .22LR pistol as well. I went to Point Blank and shot the S&W M&P22. It wasn't bad, I rather liked it.

I am thinking I am going to get the Walther P22 instead though. Mainly because the S&W and the Walther both feel like my HK VP9, and the magazine release on the Walther is like the HK. The mag release kept messing me up on the M&P22. The Ruger is also on my list because it is smaller, and easier to conceal.

Plus I like the look of the P22 Target better.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I have 3 22lr semiautos. The ruger sr22, ruger mark iv 22/45 lite, and a browning buckmark. By far my favorite is the mark iv 22/45 lite. Excellent gun and highly upgradable with volquartsen, tactical solutions, and tandem kross parts. Very lite and fun as heck to shoot although a little more pricey, especially when you get the bug to customize it. Good luck in your search and i think you'd be happy with either the M&P 22 or Sr22 also

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Smith and Wesson 41 first choice but there pricy ...

Smith and Wesson victory , add the tandomkross trigger, this little pistol comes alive, shoots SK standard volicity and runs perfect

SMOKEDIVER36

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Chesterfield IN
    On the lower end the Ruger Mark line and Browning Buckmark will be the most trouble free.

On the higher end as stated above the S&W 41 and the Browning Medalist.

Another one to look at that is in between is the Colt Woodsman line. I picked up a Match Target a few years back and absolutely love it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking at getting a .22LR pistol as well. I went to Point Blank and shot the S&W M&P22. It wasn't bad, I rather liked it.

1. Where I go they don't really have much in the 22 line.

I am thinking I am going to get the Walther P22 instead though. Mainly because the S&W and the Walther both feel like my HK VP9, and the magazine release on the Walther is like the HK. The mag release kept messing me up on the M&P22. The Ruger is also on my list because it is smaller, and easier to conceal.

2. Read alot about all of them, the Ruger is a copy of the Walther (unless I got it confused).
    3. I'm not sure the Walther has a fixed barrel like the Ruger and Smith, and I like that.
    4. I think the Walther has a "weak" spring that people replace, which means the Ruger
    doesalso, since I think it is the "copy." People claim it solved some issues with jamming.

I have 3 22lr semiautos. The ruger sr22, ruger mark iv 22/45 lite, and a browning buckmark. By far my favorite is the mark iv 22/45 lite. Excellent gun and highly upgradable with volquartsen, tactical solutions, and tandem kross parts. Very lite and fun as heck to shoot although a little more pricey, especially when you get the bug to customize it. Good luck in your search and i think you'd be happy with either the M&P 22 or Sr22 also

5. I have read where the Browning Buckmark is tier 1.
    6. I like a heavy gun, not light, one of the reasons I enjoy the
    Sig 1911-22 I have. The Victory did nothing for me.
    7. Appreciate the input about either one. I'm leaning toward the M&P b/c of alleged reliability, but it is hard to pass on pointer's Ruger SR for $225.
    8. I cannot fathom getting the bug to update, but as I learn about springs needing upgraded and plastic guide rods (that break), I see that need to do what the manufacturer didn't: shame on them.

Smith and Wesson 41 first choice but there pricy ...
    Smith and Wesson victory , add the tandomkross trigger, this little pistol comes alive, shoots SK standard volicity and runs perfect

9. Not willing to spend the money on the 41 (a revolver, maybe :laugh:)

On the lower end the Ruger Mark line and Browning Buckmark will be the most trouble free.

On the higher end as stated above the S&W 41 and the Browning Medalist.

Another one to look at that is in between is the Colt Woodsman line. I picked up a Match Target a few years back and absolutely love it.

10. I don't need such quality at this point in my life. If I was going to have only 1 gun, maybe, but I have been cycling through about 25 guns with 1 rifle in the mix.
    11. If I get to a point where I sell off most of what I have, then maybe an "expensive" one. In my mind that would be a revolver, like the Smith 617 that I wanted to buy, but I had the Ruger in my hand for $600 at Hoosier Armory, and I didn't wait to get the Smith for another $100 (or $80ish) and went ahead and got it since the price had just dropped $30 or $40 (where I buy new b/c prices better there for new
    that anywhere else unless there is a give-away rebate/sale like the Smith 642 at Cabelas last summer for $300. (no shipping, no FFL, just tax)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The ones you listed are fine for the price you seem to want to spend.

Ruger mark 2 targets, buckmark silly wet/hunter , smith 41, high standard victor and the older browning medalist or colt woodsman seem way out of your price range but are the top tier of 22 pistols outside of the bulleye euro models. You can't afford those either.

I have a few of the above. The smith model 41 older than 1970's is not to be overlooked if NIB like at 1k plus. There were hand fitted by craftsmen like the older colt snake guns. I would have easily added 400 to the price of the ruger revolver easy for a pre 1970's smith 41.

For most a target version ruger will always outshoot the owner. Once you can outshoot the target version ruger then look at the others. Once your cash increases buy trade sell upwards if you like.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The ones you listed are fine for the price you seem to want to spend.

Ruger mark 2 targets, buckmark silly wet/hunter , smith 41, high standard victor and the older browning medalist or colt woodsman seem way out of your price range but are the top tier of 22 pistols outside of the bulleye euro models. You can't afford those either.

I have a few of the above. The smith model 41 older than 1970's is not to be overlooked if NIB like at 1k plus. There were hand fitted by craftsmen like the older colt snake guns. I would have easily added 400 to the price of the ruger revolver easy for a pre 1970's smith 41.

For most a target version ruger will always outshoot the owner. Once you can outshoot the target version ruger then look at the others. Once your cash increases buy trade sell upwards if you like.

1. I follow you. I have no problem with spending more if the resale value in there, meaning I buy only at "wholesale prices" unless I know enough to want something bad that I want to keep long term, which at this point I don't know enough.
    2. I only want the "Toyota Corolla" level of guns. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I just noticed you said Point Bland. Which one? I go to the one in Carmel, but next month after I move, I'll switch to Greenwood.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Just buy the M&P 22 and don't look back , the thing just runs never jams and feels and looks like a full size M&P

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I have been to both. When I shot the S&W M&P22 it was at the Greenwood one.

I swung in there this afternoon to look around, they had two Ruger SR22s, one for $250 and one for $299 both used. The lower priced one had a bag, 2 mags and something else. The more expensive one had just the gun and single mag. The sales guy was just as confused as I was. If only I hadn't promised to not pick anything up till after Christmas.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Honestly, if you are not looking to mimic a centerfire gun that is your EDC for training purposes (i.e. the M&P 22, Ruger SR, etc), I'd go for the Ruger Mark x series (whichever is the latest in that series).

To me the value in the M&P 22, Ruger SR, the various 1911 .22 LR variants, etc is in mimicking your primary carry gun for training (I currently have an Advantage Arms conversion kit for my Glocks to mimic shooting my EDC. If I look to switch my carry platform over to the M&P, I'll seriously take a look at the S&W M&P 22).

Otherwise, get something fun like the Ruger Mark x series, and even consider mounting a red dot, RMR, etc on it.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    WebSnyper has some good advice above ^^^... if it's something you're looking to just have fun with, I think the Ruger Mark IV would be an awesome choice. I have the SR22 with threaded barrel, and it never disappoints. The form facter is small, so it's a great pack gun, and runs with any kind of ammo I've run through it so far. It's also pretty accurate, I've hit some small steel plates from silly distances on days I was feeling it. Also, FWIW, don't discount the idea of a 22LR revolver. I have a S&W Model 63 3" with the FO front sight, which I upgraded with Apex springs, and it's a complete hoot, loads of fun to plink with, and pretty much zero recoil. For the $$, though, I think the SR22 is hard to beat. And being hammer fired, if a round for whatever rare reason don't go off, just squeeze the trigger once more to be sure.

If you narrow your choices between the SR22 and the M&P 22 (regular or compact), I like the SR22 better, which pains me to say as a S&W guy. I do like the hammer for rimfire, and for the ones I tried out at least, the SR22 had the better trigger.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Honestly, if you are not looking to mimic a centerfire gun that is your EDC for training purposes (i.e. the M&P 22, Ruger SR, etc), I'd go for the Ruger Mark x series (whichever is the latest in that series).

To me the value in the M&P 22, Ruger SR, the various 1911 .22 LR variants, etc is in mimicking your primary carry gun for training (I currently have an Advantage Arms conversion kit for my Glocks to mimic shooting my EDC. If I look to switch my carry platform over to the M&P, I'll seriously take a look at the S&W M&P 22).
    Otherwise, get something fun like the Ruger Mark x series, and even consider mounting a red dot, RMR, etc on it.

1. I do have the Shield 9 and 45, and will probably keep one of them (probably the 9 b/c of ammo costs).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    WebSnyper has some good advice above ^^^... if it's something you're looking to just have fun with, I think the Ruger Mark IV would be an awesome choice. I have the SR22 with threaded barrel, and it never disappoints. The form facter is small, so it's a great pack gun, and runs with any kind of ammo I've run through it so far. It's also pretty accurate, I've hit some small steel plates from silly distances on days I was feeling it. Also, FWIW, don't discount the idea of a 22LR revolver. I have a S&W Model 63 3" with the FO front sight, which I upgraded with Apex springs, and it's a complete hoot, loads of fun to plink with, and pretty much zero recoil. For the $$, though, I think the SR22 is hard to beat. And being hammer fired, if a round for whatever rare reason don't go off, just squeeze the trigger once more to be sure.

If you narrow your choices between the SR22 and the M&P 22 (regular or compact), I like the SR22 better, which pains me to say as a S&W guy. I do like the hammer for rimfire, and for the ones I tried out at least, the SR22 had the better trigger.

1. Nice advice from someone who has been there done that: makes me want to get ahold of pointer. :laugh:
    2. Since I have 2 Shields, though, it does draw me toward the S&W, but if I want a different flavor, a different manufacturer would be better in that regard in my inexperienced opinion. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Did further research this am on .22s: Sig, Walther, Ruger, Smith, Baretta, Bersa.
    It is too bad that the range doesn't have everything .22 to test out.

I don't want to buy all of them, try them out, and then keep what I want, which is what I did with looking at 9mms, but at least there were a bunch of them at the range to rent.
    So, I try to research to learn how to eliminate "weaker" guns, but I know sometimes it is just the fit.

Like, with 9mms, after renting, buying, selling a bunch of them, I ended up with a Smith Shield 9mm ($280), a gun I rejected for being too "big" early on: go figure. :dunno:
    I loved my Walther with 3 different mags, but it beat up my middle finger with the trigger guard, and the Glock was not quite as comfortable/feel good, as the shield.
    Just exactly like what I was told: try them out personally and not just listen to what others say.
    I even ended up with a Shield .45 by "accident" b/c of the profile of the owner, price, ($320) including $100 worth of ammo: who wouldn't? :laugh:

I guess I'll have to do the same with getting back to my first love of everything .22, but I decided to sell my house now instead of waiting till after the snows (save $4000: payments and utilities), and that took a whirlwind of from Monday deciding to sell, till 5 days later: it sold (for asking price :rockwoot:)
    Never work so hard in my old age as this week, my wife staying up till after 3 am doing this and that.
    I think my wife want appliances, not more guns. :dunno:
    I kept the Henry lever action 22 rifle I bought this week sitting in the trunk of my car that I bought this week so I wouldn't have to explain what I'm doing buying a gun when we have all the expenses of buying/selling/moving coming up the next 5 weeks (4 now).
    Needless to say, I have no logical explanation, but I know I'm in good company here, sympathetic and merciful. :lmfao:

I appreciate your input about your experiences with .22s.

Last edited:

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have the Ruger SR22, I like it as it will eat any ammo I have tried. It is very accurate for its size and easy to clean.
    Winning combination. Good luck in you quest.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have the Ruger SR22, I like it as it will eat any ammo I have tried. It is very accurate for its size and easy to clean.
    Winning combination. Good luck in you quest.

1. Yes, I have heard equally good things about the Ruger SR22 and the Smith compact 22.
    2. Nothing on the other brands, however: strange.

3. Yes, I hear that you have to keep the Ruger and Smith clean and lubed up if you want it to use all ammo.
    4. In the Ruger some upgrade the spring and replace the plastic guide rod with a better spring and a stainless steel guide rod and that helps with ammo related issues (sounds like on the 1911-22, also)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Both the Ruger SR and the Smith Compact (80ish% size of full size) sell for the same price at Hoosier Armory: $330, but I use that for comparison only.
    The Smith seems to bring more in used sales, that is why pointer's $225 Ruger has an appeal (since I'm thrifty/cheap).

Top Bottom