• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doggbutt53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2017
    Mooresville
    Hello all, Im new to the forum amd this is my first thread. I was just wondering what are some essentials u have in your GET HOME BAGS? Let me know your ideas. Thanks

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'll start off: compass, fire starter, socks, first aid, cash, solar powered radio, water

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Sneakers (if you wear dress shoes or other non-good-to-walk-miles in footwear), wool/summer socks, snacks (granola/Clif bar), sweatshirt, hat (ballcap/beanie), multi-tool, fire, first aid...

doggbutt53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2017
    Mooresville
    Thanks guys, i also have a 14 inch khurkri knife ( hope i spelled that right), i like the multi tool idea also. Dont have that in there. I make my son
    take his down to college with him just in case. Thanks again.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Keep your BOB light or you wont carry it. Multi Tool/ Swiss Army Knife, Firestarters(3 different kinds),Compass/map,Water bottle,Cheap poncho/ emergency blanket,550 para cord(50')Signal mirror/ whistle,watch cap/ boonie hat,cheap mechanics gloves(nylon-leather),mini Maglite/ spare batteries. Stay at 15# or less. Maybe a Cliff bar or two for a 24 hr bag. Always have comfy shoes or boots and a hoody jacket in the trunk. Cell phone too.

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    First, you need to assess what you want out of your bag before you pack it. How many people does it need to support, and for how long? What type of climate/terrain will you most likely need it in? And most importantly: can you carry it constantly for days/weeks on end?

Here is a pic of what i have. Mine is built in 3 stages, each getting increasingly important in regards to the gear it holds. Primary chest rig, secondary backpack, and tertiary "buttpack". If I have to shed weight, i start with the buttpack. I have a lot in there, and not all is in the pic. check it every couple months and rotate out food stuffs.

97sqNqN.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Keep your BOB light or you wont carry it. Multi Tool/ Swiss Army KnifeFirestarters(3 different kinds)Compass/mapWater bottleCheap poncho/ emergency blanket550 para cord(50')Signal mirror/ whistlewatch cap/ boonie hatcheap mechanics gloves(nylon-leather)mini Maglite/ spare batteries

If you're needing your bugout bag (which means a serious situation) and it gets too heavy to keep carrying it, can't you just remove some items and leave them behind?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Keep your BOB light or you wont carry it. Multi Tool/ Swiss Army KnifeFirestarters(3 different kinds)Compass/mapWater bottleCheap poncho/ emergency blanket550 para cord(50')Signal mirror/ whistlewatch cap/ boonie hatcheap mechanics gloves(nylon-leather)mini Maglite/ spare batteries

To piggyback, know how much you can carry... AND run with. You could have the greatest bag in the world, but if you can't move quickly with it, you're just a slow moving target.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A "bugout bag" and a "get home bag" are two different things though.In my opinion anyway.
    One is to get AWAY from your home, the other to get TO your home.
    It means you don't have to worry about shelter or building a camp fire with your "get home bag", unless you are days away from your home.

To me a "get home bag" is just a small EDC bag with the stuff you need everyday, plus additional stuff you might need for an emergency on your way home from work (acar ccident, flat tire etc).

If you're never too far away from your home you won't need much things in your "get home bag".

I just have a few things in mine.

Off the top of my head:

Water, snacks, first aid kit, trauma kit, dust mask, head lamp (for first aid or changing a tire at night), spare flashlight, spare batteries, maps and compass, leather gloves (to change tires, break glass etc), hat, warm gloves, multi-tool, zip ties, trauma shears, glass breaker/strap cutter, pen and paper, sharpie (to write on cars or people), lighter ...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A "bugout bag" and a "get home bag" are two different things though.In my opinion anyway.
    It means you don't have to worry about shelter or building a camp fire with your "get home bag", unless you are days away from your home.

To me a "get home bag" is just a small EDC bag with the stuff you need everyday, plus additional stuff you might need for an emergency on your way home from work (acar ccident, flat tire etc).

If you're never too far away from your home you won't need much things in your "get home bag".

Off the top of my head:

Water, snacks, first aid kit, trauma kit, dust mask, head lamp (for first aid or changing a tire at night), spare flashlight, spare batteries, maps and compass, leather gloves (to change tires, break glass etc), hat, warm gloves, multi-tool, zip ties, trauma shears, glass breaker/strap cutter, pen and paper, sharpie (to write on cars or people), lighter ...

That's a good point. I keep my "get home" gear in the backpack I take with me any time I am out of town. Bugout would need clothing and more in addition to get home gear.

A significant amount of cash could be critically important for either get home or bugout.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bug out. How many are with you...ages/sex.
    Are you carrying for all or just yourself.
    Can you spread some of the load across the group.

Lots of good ideas here. Multiple flashlights is one. Spare battery's.
    A good knife. A multi-tool. Absolutely essential.
    Protein/power bars. Water. I have a decent canteen.
    Some mechanics wire along with your paracord. I also have some zipp-ties. You never know.
    Emergency blankets. Those foil looking things in the package. Be surprised how well they break the wind and rain.

1st aid. How much is up to you.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Off the top of my head:

Agreed, I have several bags for different purposes. I have a everyday get home bag, a bug out bag, and a spare for another person.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agreed, I have several bags for different purposes. I have a everyday get home bag, a bug out bag, and a spare for another person.

Age and other factors will limit how we bug out. And how far. In this we have 4 water proof totes that are easily put in what ever vehicle or mode of transport we will be bugging out in. These will sustain us for a good period. They can also come in most handy for other situations.

Get home depends on season's etc. We just went through all the totes for cool/cold weather. The get home gear the same way. The draw back with the GHB is water. Sever low temp weather will freeze any stored water.

Pen/sharpie and note pad.....good ideas.
    Gloves are a staple.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fire......I have several ways to start a fire. Kitchen matches...Check. Long reach bic style lighter...check. Regular bic....check. Steel.
    Vasaline soaked cotton balls....check. Drier lint....you bet.

That Mylar tent looks like an option.

Top Bottom