• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I have an 870 for years that sees no range time since I have better shotguns. My thought was to but a shorter barrel on it and go the SBS route. I can not for the life of me find any shorter barrels online. Can I not just buy one, do I have to cut the one I already have? I read another post about buying the new Tac-14 and just adding the Magpul stock, that might work too but I would rather the old fashion wood version I already have.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    If you want a factory 14" barrel get a hold of AI&P Tactical in Michigan. He doesn't sell directly from the web site, but lists what he has or can get. Call him and he will ship to you. It's where I got these 14" barrels.
    https://www.aiptactical.com/accessory---parts.html Go to this page and scroll down a bit. He lists various 14" barrels.

a3a3zU0.jpg

Cutting the barrel down is not that difficult if you've got tools and are good with them. I cut the barrel down to just over 12" on the AOW below. AllenM here in INGO cleaned it up a bit and then did a nice Cerakote job on it. I installed the bead site. If you were closer to Indy I would suggest also having AllenM do the work. He does great stuff.

QUXFTB0.jpg

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've not (yet) been a customer of AIP Tactical - but when I was active over on GlockTalk, he was always very very personable and eager to answer questions people had about the 870 platform.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I was in the same situation and decided to go ahead and cut down an 18" barrel. I did so because the shortest factory 870 barrel is 14" and I wanted my SBS barrel to be flush with the end of the mag tube. So I had it cut to +/- 12" and a bead sight installed by ZRTS.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I've not (yet) been a customer of AIP Tactical - but when I was active over on GlockTalk, he was always very very personable and eager to answer questions people had about the 870 platform.

I've talked to him on the phone several times and he will talk your ear off. Great guy though.

TexasRedneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Texas - where else?<G>
    Or....do it REALLY short......lol

Just remember - you can do it with a $5 stamp if the shotgun shipped from the factory with a pistol grip. When you do 'em THIS short, though, you end up doing more work on the gun than only the barrel - but this is my truck gun, and pretty handy.

Attachments

• 80%.jpg
      80%.jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 36
    • Pair.jpg
      Pair.jpg
      81.4 KB · Views: 34

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

Just remember - you can do it with a $5 stamp if the shotgun shipped from the factory with a pistol grip. When you do 'em THIS short, though, you end up doing more work on the gun than only the barrel - but this is my truck gun, and pretty handy.

I thought the $5 stamp was only for the TRANSFER of the AOW....not the manufacture of it?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

how many do they hold ? 2+1

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    When I did my SBS, I had the existing barrel on my 870WM chopped down (one vent rib, one a Police trade-in that was rough at the 16" mark.) I had my SBS barrel work performed by Steve @ Rose Action Sports. I went to 12.5" for roughly flush with magazine tube. One was threaded for chokes, one was not.

I've worked with AI&P, great guy. I thought he sold the 14" barrels on GunBroker - did he stop that? For a while, he was one of the few reliable sources for 14", but that was back in pre-Shockwave/Tac-14 days.

I second your choice to stick with your existing shotgun over buying new. My 870WM really looks sharp with the blued/wood look,

TexasRedneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Texas - where else?<G>
    You can chop - but now you've got a $200 tax stamp if it left the factory w/a butt instead of the pistol grip (don't ask me - it's the ATF's rule). Generally, I tell folks that if they want a pistol grip, start w/a new one - because if you convert a regular 870 to a psitol gripped SBS, you're going to have to buy TWO tax stamps - and that's half our price of a new super shorty.

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    You can chop - but now you've got a $200 tax stamp if it left the factory w/a butt instead of the pistol grip (don't ask me - it's the ATF's rule). Generally, I tell folks that if they want a pistol grip, start w/a new one - because if you convert a regular 870 to a psitol gripped SBS, you're going to have to buy TWO tax stamps - and that's half our price of a new super shorty.

Why are there two stamps? SBS is SBS, regardless of the stock it wears. With an approved f1, you’re the maker a short barrel shotgun.

I concur with your assessment of starting PGO shotgun, or really a virgin receiver to play it fully safe, if you’re building an AOW. Since Indiana legalized SBS and F1 is $200 for either, I don’t see the advantage of making your own AOW when SBS allows the flexibility of a shoulder stock.

Edit: There is the advantage of no 5320.20 with AOW, but that’s not exactly a major selling point. Still less useful than a buttstock.

TexasRedneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Texas - where else?<G>
    Why are there two stamps? SBS is SBS, regardless of the stock it wears. With an approved f1, you’re the maker a short barrel shotgun.

I concur with your assessment of starting PGO shotgun, or really a virgin receiver to play it fully safe, if you’re building an AOW. Since Indiana legalized SBS and F1 is $200 for either, I don’t see the advantage of making your own AOW when SBS allows the flexibility of a shoulder stock.

Edit: There is the advantage of no 5320.20 with AOW, but that’s not exactly a major selling point. Still less useful than a buttstock.

If you start with a buttstock and install a pistol grip, that's $200. If you cut the barrel to SBS, that's $200 IF the shotty left the factory with a full buttstock. If it left the factory with a pistol grip, then ​it's an AOW, and a $5 tax stamp.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    If you start with a buttstock and install a pistol grip, that's $200. If you cut the barrel to SBS, that's $200 IF the shotty left the factory with a full buttstock. If it left the factory with a pistol grip, then ​it's an AOW, and a $5 tax stamp.

What? I think you are seriously confused here.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Absolutely not! It's just that my fingers engaged while my mind was numbed w/the egg nogg.....lol!!

Sorry, folks - I don't know WHAT I was thinking!! We use the pistol-gripped 870's to make the super-shorty's and thereby avoid the $200 tax stamp, NOT to avoid 2 tax stamps.

So, you are a manufacturer?

Top Bottom