• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • travism

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I'm hunting deer this year with my Remington 870 12 gauge. I'm looking at mounting a scope and would like your opinion. I've found a couple well priced scopes being the Simmons Prodiamond, Truglo Compact Strut N Rut Scope, & Nikon Buckmasters II. These scopes are all 4x32. Please critique my options.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm hunting deer this year with my Remington 870 12 gauge. I'm looking at mounting a scope and would like your opinion. I've found a couple well priced scopes being the Simmons Prodiamond, Truglo Compact Strut N Rut Scope, & Nikon Buckmasters II. These scopes are all 4x32. Please critique my options.

12 ga slug has more recoil than any of these are designed to withstand. Of your options go with the buckmasters, and plan to upgrade in a few years.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would have to agree with others that the Nikon would be the only one out of your choices that would withstand the 12ga recoil. The 4x32 is what I would recommend. Grab it up and get it dialed. If its just a hunting gun the Nikon should last a good many years. I have a Buckmasters that is about 10 years old now.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    At shotgun range is a scope even needed?

Good point. Every gun I own has a scope except my shot guns. I can put slugs through the same hole at 50yrds with a bead front sight. Prefer the smooth bores. Always had good luck with them. Ithaca 37, Rem 870, Benelli Nova.

I guess it could help see the target better and make for a more precise shot especially past 50yrds out to 100yrds.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I killed a deer once at 226 yards with a rifled barreled slug gun. That shot would not have been impossible with iron sights, but it was easier with a scope. Its pretty hard to stalk in closer through a cut bean field.

Is it always needed? Absolutely not. does it come in handy? yep

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010

I have a Leopold Vari-X II? on my 870. It is AMAZING how much this scope brightens things up, especially during this early dawn, late dusk times of day.

12 gauge slugs thru a rifled barrel is a BEAST! She's a mule-kicker for sure!

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Keep in mind your scope rings too. Don't go cheap. I would look at steel with 4 screws on each band. Warne makes tough rings. Coincidentally, I just sent a Burris slug gun scope back after losing zero and wild adjustments on two different guns, rings. It was only 2 yrs old. So, just keep in mind the recoil

Top Bottom