• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Radtgaeb

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    I'm looking at a used Glock 17L at an LGS. I am somewhat interested in buying it but I'm having a hard time justifying its place in my collection.

I'm not a big competition guy. Mostly I just like the idea of having a handgun with such a large sight radius.

Thoughts? How does this compare to the 34 (other than the barrel length)? Anyone else have one? What place does it hold in your collection?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The factory trigger is nicer in the 34, you can get a 34 in 3gen or 4gen, 34 can be bought optic ready, 34 has a better overall balance. I prefer the 34 to my 17 and the 17l I have shot. But the 17l is a fun Glock and even more fun to own because it is so ridiculous on the firing line. If you like a 17 you'll enjoy the 17l. I think the 34 is a bit easier to manipulate and of course is legal in most competitions unlike the 17l. I want one just because but the 34 mos gen4 will always be my preferred long slide Glock.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have one just to have it in my collection. It rarely gets shot. My G34 is my competition gun and it plenty long without being unwieldy.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I would agree with the others, the 34 would be a better buy. My 34 sees alot of action at GSSF shoots. I actually like it better than my 17 for everyday shooting, but the 17 gets the nod as my EDC. I have handled several G17L's and have trouble justifying buying it over a longslide Glock of a bigger caliber. I have the G17, 19,26 and 34, so I would rather spend my money on a 10mm like a Gen 4 G29 for a backup to my Gen 4 G40 MOS I use for a woods/hunting pistol.
    YMMV, but if you want a G17L, now is a good time to buy. alot of places have them right now because Glock did a run of them as well as the G24. Once these are sold, they will be hard to aquire again until Glock does another run of them.

Radtgaeb

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    So...basically a range toy/oddity would be its niche? Just something for someone with a penchant for the obscure?

I just really want a neat longslide handgun. I would prefer a G41 because my EDC is a Glock 30 and it would be nice to have a full size in matching caliber, but I haven't found one for a decent price. The 17L was a little more affordable than most of the 41s I've seen.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I bought one and sent to AllenM so he could drop an rmr into it. It's amazing, but haven't had a chance to shoot yet. It's one of my prized possessions and won't get rid of it due to being a semi rare piece.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Only downside is if you choose to shoot IDPA, it wont fit in the box.

But on the flip side there are plenty of other games to play in with it.

I say if you have the spare $$ and room in the safe, go for it. You only live once.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have a 24c that I put a 9mm Lone Wolfe conversion in and I absolutely love it. the thing is like a laser beam. It even makes me look like a decent pistol shooter. I shoot it all the time when doing Run n Gun style shooting or other shooting courses. If I hadn't have got it in a trade Id probably never bought one, but I'm super glad I ended up with one..

Top Bottom